Bookmark with Import/Export Option

Customizable Toolbar Navigator

New Skin Designs with Minimized Skin Feature

Video Always on Top

Microsoft Windows XP & DirectX VA WHQL Certified

Supports All DVD Formats and Storage Media Devices

MP3, CD, VCD, & SVCD Multi-Channel Playback

....and more

Seems expensive, with a price of $75 for the pro version, but then you would expect to pay that for a player that looks as cutting edge as this!

I think there may be a $5 reduction with preorder and you get a funky remote too, there will also be cheaper upgrade options for users of 2.5 and 3.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Hi all:

Quote:
DTS Digital Surround Decoder

Now you can enjoy an ultra rich 5.1 channel audio experience with DTS encoded discs on PowerDVD XP 4.0.
Quote:
Dolby Pro Logic II

This technology is great if you have a multi-channel sound card and speaker set, and want to play 2-channel encoded discs or files (like MP3s) with 4/6-channel output.

Does this mean if I have the speakers, sound card and version 4.0 of PowerDVD, that I don't have to have a receiver capable of DTS and DPL II to implement these features?

If so, in general how would one go about connecting everything?

For example, I have a Pro Logic receiver connected to a Vantas Surround Adapter that converts it to a Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver, but not a DTS receiver. I also have a SMART Circle Surround processor that converts this to a 6.1 receiver when fed 5.1 signals from either DD or DTS. I feed 5.1 Dolby Digital signals to the digital adapter from three sources:

1)satellite receiver

2)Standalone DVD player (DD only, no DTS)

3)HTPC (running PowerDVD 3.0 and M-Audio 2496 Audiophile sound card)

What do I connect to what, or does everything remain the same with just a PowerDVD upgrade?

In other words, does PowerDVD XP 4.0 serve as a software preamp/processor so that I don't have to buy a hardware preamp/processor?

Thanks.

Larry

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
theaterteck theatertek theatertek ;)

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Larry,

If you want to use these features you would utilize the 5.1 ouputs on a sound card that has them. Run RCA patch cords from each ouput on the sound card to corresponding inputs on your preamp or receiver. These features would be completely separate from S/PDIF out or passthrough. I believe that soundcards can and do output a Dolby Pro Logic compatible signal from software to the digital output but currently that is the limit. S/PDIF pasthrough can be DTS 5.1/6.1 or DD 5.1/6.1 or whatever, it is simply being passed through.

Now the new nForce boards are supposedly going to be able to do some kind of real time Dolby Digital encoding and send it to a digital output, which would turn this world upside down, depending on just how real time it is.

if this doesn't help you out, than let me know. I'm still learning English, I'm from New Jersey.:D

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hmcgrath
if this doesn't help you out, than let me know. I'm still learning English, I'm from New Jersey.:D
Well, by all rights I should understand you since I grew up in New Jersey too,:D but I do have a clarifying question.

Quote:
If you want to use these features you would utilize the 5.1 ouputs on a sound card that has them. Run RCA patch cords from each ouput on the sound card to corresponding inputs on your preamp or receiver. These features would be completely separate from S/PDIF out or passthrough. I believe that soundcards can and do output a Dolby Pro Logic compatible signal from software to the digital output but currently that is the limit.
Are you saying there are no cards available to your knowledge have the 5.1 outputs on 6-RCA connectors that would make the DTS and DPL II features of PowerDVD XP 4.0 useable?

Thanks for your help.

Larry

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Theatertek? :p

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Nah, My Game Theater XP has them. And I would think all of these cards that say "5.1" have them as well. But I'm not sure.

What I am saying is that these features will only go through those 5.1 (6 RCA outs) or on the GTXP 6.1(7 RCA outs). The distinction I was making was that these features will not be "passed-through" via digital outs.

These new features move us a couple steps closer to moving away from using external DD & DTS decoders. But the quality of a 6.1 DD or DTS signal decoded by software and sent out through these discrete RCA outputs most likely won't compare to DD/DTS digital passthrough to a higher quality external decoder/receiver.

I'll tell you right now though; for games, mp3's, CDs, and external sources like a VCR or TV, I am getting much better sound from my Game Theater XP than I am from my receiver. The new Game Theater XP drivers mix everything up to my 5.1 speaker config. And they use it very nicely. Not a sloppy job at all, like I expected. I would imagine that the Pro Logic II, will do a better job than my current GTXP drivers, but then again the GTXP drivers are supporting this on everything outside of Power DVD as well.

These capabilities will move to the digital outs pretty soon but not without an nForce motherboard. And even then the "real-time" delay has not been clearly specified yet.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€These new features move us a couple steps closer to moving away from using external DD & DTS decoders. But the quality of a 6.1 DD or DTS signal decoded by software and sent out through these discrete RCA outputs most likely won't compare to DD/DTS digital passthrough to a higher quality external decoder/receiver.â€

I’m sure that will depend on the quality of the soundcard used. I’m very impressed with the SQ of the analog output of the “soon to be released†Delta Theater 2496 8-channel soundcard.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
I noticed a couple of significant features on the URL given above besides it's increadible audio support:

"Color Cast Controls:

Does the movie your watching look to dark or bright on your screen? No need to worry because PowerDVD XP 4.0 now has enhanced color cast adjustment tools to help you create the perfect look. "

(Perhaps gamma is also exposed for ATI cards)

"Microsoft Windows XP & DirectX VA WHQL Certified:

PowerDVD XP has been tested and is fully certified under all Windows operating systems (including Windows XP) and supports Microsoft DirectX Video Acceleration. "

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, it should be good. Tho I think the Cyberlink DVD addon was supposed to MS WHQL certified, but everytime I tried to use its filters in wm8 it crashed giving me a nv-dis4.dll error, the same thing happened in Zoomplayer, but it worked ok in PowerDVD SE.

I also noticed that the PowerDVD SE skin is the same one being used as in the PowerDVD XP screnshots!

Oh yeah for those that care both the Intervideo and Cyberlink addons contain newer filters than their respective full players!

·
Registered
283 Posts
The screen on speaker set up suggests that it can also delay channels to allow for speaker distance - see here

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Electronic Punk
You can read more info here:
http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/c...xp_special.jsp

Has the follwing:

DTS Digital Surround Decoder

SRS TruSurround XT

Dolby Pro Logic II

Virtual Speakers Setting

Enhanced Screen Capture

Auto-Resume Playback

Color Cast Controls

Bookmark with Import/Export Option

Customizable Toolbar Navigator

New Skin Designs with Minimized Skin Feature

Video Always on Top

Microsoft Windows XP & DirectX VA WHQL Certified

Supports All DVD Formats and Storage Media Devices

MP3, CD, VCD, & SVCD Multi-Channel Playback

....and more

Seems expensive, with a price of $75 for the pro version, but then you would expect to pay that for a player that looks as cutting edge as this!

I think there may be a $5 reduction with preorder and you get a funky remote too, there will also be cheaper upgrade options for users of 2.5 and 3.
How on earth is $75 for all that stuff expensive? To me, $75 is more than a bargin. Does anyone know if ATI's HMC and IDCT are supported?

It's too bad that DVD-A and SACD are not supported or any of the 6 or 7 channel formats (even 2-channel 24/96 DVDs not mentioned). :(

Colin

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah $75 is a good price for a new engine, rather than an old tweaked one, should be good!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OMG! Now I know it looks good!!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Vasim,

They said $19.95 to $39.95 for users of PowerDVD 2.5, 2.55, 3.0 at their Q&A page. I hope $19.95 for 3.0 users.

-- Kazushi

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Deluxe version is prob $40 upgrade

The standard for $20 upgrade

The standard is the same as the deluxe version, except it doesn't have DTS Digital Surround or SRS TruSurround XT

If you purchased PowerDVD 3 in October you will get a free upgrade to 4.

The updates will only PowerDVD 2.5, 2.55 or 3.0,

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.