AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the matter. I am always looking forward to the future and the possibility of adding a powered amplifier to my set-up. I am currently running Two Martin Logan Motion 12's and a Motion 8 center. They are running off a Marantz Sr5008 receiver. I have already made plans for a subwoofer and am looking into some rear speakers as-well. "I was thinking Mirage mainly for movies"

Anyways, Does everyone think it would be a good investment? Other than the added power. What are the other advantages to powered amplifiers? Any recommendations? I was looking at the Emotiva or Marantz what do you think? How are these things when it comes to reliability?

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDelmo  /t/1519688/powered-amplifiers-thoughts-and-recommendations#post_24404854

Anyways, Does everyone think it would be a good investment?

Not for most home audio installations.
Quote:
Other than the added power. What are the other advantages to powered amplifiers?

I would look for something other than power. The differences aren't meaningful and power is not a major issue in home audio for most installations.
Quote:
Any recommendations? I was looking at the Emotiva or Marantz what do you think? How are these things when it comes to reliability?

My recommendation is to spend your money on things that will make a sonic difference in your system - speakers and room acoustics.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well I cant say I'm not a little disappointed. My only response so far is "No, buy new speakers" IDK about you but I thought the Martin Logan Motion speakers were nice. The only reason I was thinking about getting a amplifier was because the speakers them selfs are 4 ohms non powered. And the fact most Receivers arnt 4 ohm compatible, I thought adding a amplifier that was 4 ohm compatible would not only help power the speakers but take a huge load off the receiver. I found a used Emotiva XPA-5 which i think I could get for a good price. But if no one thinks its worth the investment than I guess I will have to pass. No point in buying something that wont do anything.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
It's worth it. I wouldn't use 4 ohm speakers with av amplifier. I've just gone from a 17W0W into 4ohm to 350W into 4ohm and the bass is a lot tighter and those 175W amps were much higher quality than the ones in your Marantz.

Going from the Marantz to a dedicated amp like Emotiva would be huge.

I would certainly recommend upgrading from av amp to dedicated power amplifiers.

Ignore a certain nay-sayer.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
2 camps here at AVS on external amplifiers, I am in the pro-amp group and since you are driving 4 ohm loads I would go for it. It takes the heat out of receiver which will help with longevity. I have heard people say that onkyo's do tend to run warm so its win win.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
A benefit of quality amplifcation is you only have to buy it once. Rather than every single time you buy a new AV amplifier. You certainly wouldn't use a $200 AV amplifier with a set of high end 7 speakers that are hard to drive, and insensitive- so you'd have to buy a $1500 AV amplifier. And in a few years when it's out of date sell it for peanuts, only to spend another $1500 on a AV amplifier.

With power amps spend a couple of thousand on a good unit, keep it for a couple of decades, just changing the pre when it goes out of date.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDelmo  /t/1519688/powered-amplifiers-thoughts-and-recommendations#post_24412060

Well I cant say I'm not a little disappointed.

In what sense?

Seems like you have a nice setup as far as it goes.
Quote:
My only response so far is "No, buy new speakers"

Hmm, well a good subwoofer could be a logical next step. Didn't see one in the list. Check out sources like Hsu, SVS, Rhythmic, etc., starting out in the same price range as the rest of your speakers.
Quote:
IDK about you but I thought the Martin Logan Motion speakers were nice.

The only reason I was thinking about getting a amplifier was because the speakers them selfs are 4 ohms non powered.

Shouldn't be a problem with a receiver of the quality you already have.
Quote:
And the fact most Receivers arnt 4 ohm compatible,

????

Says who, says what?

Quote:
I thought adding a amplifier that was 4 ohm compatible would not only help power the speakers but take a huge load off the receiver.

Speaking of taking a load off the receiver and your speakers, that is what good subwoofers do a very good job of.

Quote:
I found a used Emotiva XPA-5 which i think I could get for a good price. But if no one thinks its worth the investment than I guess I will have to pass. No point in buying something that wont do anything.

Hold that thought!

The XPA-5 is one of my favorite whipping boys. It only has 3 dB dB more power than your AVR. Here's a little demo you can do quickly. Run the volume up 6 clicks or down 6 clicks. Notice the difference that you hear. That's the maximum benefit of a 200 wpc amp, and that it true only if you are already running it up to clipping which few people actually do.

Also, notice the comments about room acoustics.

I mean there is a certain logic here. You may be thinking "It sounds so good because I bought good electronics and speakers, so if I buy more good electronics and speakers then it will sound even that much better." The problem with that approach is the law of diminishing returns.

That's one way to look at the situation. The other way to look at it is: "What would happen if I addressed certain important issues that I haven't done anything about at all?" Adding a subwoofer and improving speaker positioning and room acoustics fit into that category.

BTW your AVR has Audyssey Multieq XT. You may not realize it but you paid more than a few pennies for that feature. Have you tried it? Only takes a few minutes and if you don't like what it does, its easy enough to back out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

As, I stated in my first post, "I have already made plans for a subwoofer". And yes I am currently using the Audyssey Multi Eq. It's one of the reasons I liked the Marantz so much.

As stated from Marantz's website. The Sr5008 is technically 6 and 8 ohm rated. But as with most 4 ohm speakers. They state they will be compatible with most receivers.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDelmo  /t/1519688/powered-amplifiers-thoughts-and-recommendations#post_24412669

As, I stated in my first post, "I have already made plans for a subwoofer". And yes I am currently using the Audyssey Multi Eq. It's one of the reasons I liked the Marantz so much.

As stated from Marantz's website. The Sr5008 is technically 6 and 8 ohm rated. But as with most 4 ohm speakers. They state they will be compatible with most receivers.

They are not pulling your leg.

After you get the subwoofer and work on speaker location and room acoustics, and you are still not getting what you want, then maybe just maybe the power amp could be a good idea.

Look at it this way, these other things are more like sure things to make big improvements in sound quality than the XPA5.

If you still need an external amp after this other stuff is straightened out, then there will no doubt be other opportunities.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I suspect that certain amp naysayer's probably drive a Prius cause you don't need to go fast or need extra power and probably drive without snow tires because they view them as only necessary when you go fast which a Prius doesn't do .
:D:D:D

·
Registered
21,023 Posts

Quote:
Was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the matter. I am always looking forward to the future and the possibility of adding a powered amplifier to my set-up. I am currently running Two Martin Logan Motion 12's and a Motion 8 center. They are running off a Marantz Sr5008 receiver. I have already made plans for a subwoofer and am looking into some rear speakers as-well. "I was thinking Mirage mainly for movies"

Anyways, Does everyone think it would be a good investment? Other than the added power. What are the other advantages to powered amplifiers? Any recommendations? I was looking at the Emotiva or Marantz what do you think? How are these things when it comes to reliability?

Thanks again everyone!

You could add an amp - I am using an Emotiva XPA 200 amp with my Denon 4520. But only because I wanted to run 11 channels - which I do think sounds better. You might invest in Martin Logan Motion FX surround speakers first though, since you don't sound like you have finished your surround sound setup yet. You have Martin Logans up front - why not stick with them? I really like mine !

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
To the op you have a fine receiver. Not sure if you will see any difference from using an external amp with low wattage such as a emotiva 200 watt amp. However you could try one out for a few weeks and return it if you dont hear any difference.

As far as the general question of using an external amp, I believe it depends on the setup. Most people running fairly efficient 90db and up bookshelf or satellite speakers will not need an external amp. However I always use 7 to 9 large speakers capable of handling 1000 to 2000 watts each in every setup I use at home. No receiver is going to be able to power my setup without clipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts