Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a powered multiswitch from Channel Master installed in my system config, in order to be able to split the 119 signal for both Directv and DishN use.

Is it normal that this thing chirps so frequently (repeated churns at any given time), EVEN IF all equipment is turned off? If so, why in the world would it do that? What is triggering it?

Thanks,

Luca

·
Registered
84 Posts
If I read you right, the chirp you are hearing is a relay inside the switch, changing the output to one receiver from one polarity to the other. That happens when a receiver is not getting any signal and goes from polarity to polarity to see if anybody is home in either room.

Is one of your receivers not getting stations properly?

To find out which receiver is making the switch chirp, unplug one receiver at a time and see if it stops. If more than one receiver has to be unplugged to stop the chirping, let us know here.

Ernie

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
If I read you right, the chirp you are hearing is a relay inside the switch
YEs, apparently it is coming from the multiswitch box.

Quote:
Is one of your receivers not getting stations properly?
Please read the following thread on which problems I am having. Thank you.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=144487

Quote:
To find out which receiver is making the switch chirp, unplug one receiver at a time and see if it stops. If more than one receiver has to be unplugged to stop the chirping, let us know here.
I checked by turning both off, one at a time, and the chirping happens only when the Dish 5000 is on, not when the DTC-100 is.

Thanks again,

Luca

·
Registered
328 Posts
Luca

A dish 5000 should NOT be used with a DirecTV multiswitch. Dish uses digital switch signals, DirecTV uses voltages and a 20 kHz tone.

Bill

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bill, and thanks for your input.

I am not hooking the 5000 to the Directv 8900 switch. But to a separate powered multiswitch from Channel MAster, in order to be able to split the 119 signal to be used for both Dish and Directv. One output goes to the 8900 switch and the other goes to the 5000.

Does the use of this "splitter" have anything to do with what I'm getting?

Luca

·
Registered
328 Posts
You need to connect your Echostar 5000 either directly to it's own LNB or using a Echostar "multi" switch to seperate LNB's from LNB's used with ANY type of DirecTV multiswitch. They are not compatible.

In any case there are NO current Dish HDTV channels on 119, so you need to look at either 61.5 or 148 to receive the Dish HDTV offerings. If you need to watch Dish NTSC channels on 119 you will need a seperate LNB port looking at Dish 119.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.