AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a set of powered PA speakers for my home gym. They'll pull double duty for parties, tailgating, etc. I've had great luck with my home theater choices after reading through the forums, so I thought I'd ask your opinion. I apologize if this has been asked before. If you have a link to any previous threads I'd appreciate it.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
My brother in law has some EV SXA360's. We've used them for outdoor movies or other outdoor speaking type events.

They don't work as well as the big stack of outdoor horns I have but then, they won't weigh 400 pounds either!!

These would benefit with a subwoofer, he never picked one up. For kicks, we set them on top of my big woofers and to tell you the truth, it sounded fantastic!

http://www.electrovoice.com/products...ker&attributes []=41

by the way, I THINK the 360's are a discontinued model... I think he bought them at a discount because of that.

Edit: I do now know why the end of that url is trucated?

Edit II: You can still click on it and when the window opens, click on "portable sound"

·
Audio Engineer
2,538 Posts
I have used extensively the EV ZX3 and ZX5 powered models. THey sound great for the price. Getting a Meyer box would be lost on 'tailgating and party' sound reinforcement. Several grand per box prolly won't be worth it for you. The EV SX's that you mentioned are OKAY, but their sound quality pales to the ZX series. The ZX's use the same compression horn drivers as their full size X-Line line array systems. The internal amps have ridiculous amounts of power and headroom. Can't beat 'em for the price.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
If you want to do it right, you need a double 15" two way; here's one JBL powered unit I'd recommend. This way your LF needs will be covered with ample displacement.

On the cheap, I'd recommend nothing less than this Mackie Thump.

Good luck

·
Audio Engineer
2,538 Posts
I've mixed on those JBLs before. They're okay, but they pale in comparison to these:

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=414

Add one of these per side:

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=194

I used this setup outdoors at Universal Orlando on multiple occasions. It's on-par with a Meyer setup like the UPAs w/ a 650 on the bottom. BUT it's less than half the price.

No offense about the JBL's, but those are small venue speakers geared toward club/bar sound. The ZX5As sound much more refined, especially in the midrange. The QRX218's go deep and provide all the slam you need. The setup sound MUCH more like home hifi and much less like typical live-venue value price product.

I guarantee satisfaction.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was looking for something sub $400 total. I think the EV's are slightly (read: completely) out of my range, but they look amazing. Looks like the Mackie's are in my budget, but I'd have to stick to just one.

I have another question for you: If I wanted 2 speakers, would that both have to be powered, or would the out from the first be enough to power a second unpowered speaker?

Thanks for the advice, and if there are any other recs in the sub $400 price, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice /forum/post/19596192

I've mixed on those JBLs before. They're okay, but they pale in comparison to these:

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=414

Add one of these per side:

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=194

I used this setup outdoors at Universal Orlando on multiple occasions. It's on-par with a Meyer setup like the UPAs w/ a 650 on the bottom. BUT it's less than half the price.

No offense about the JBL's, but those are small venue speakers geared toward club/bar sound. The ZX5As sound much more refined, especially in the midrange. The QRX218's go deep and provide all the slam you need. The setup sound MUCH more like home hifi and much less like typical live-venue value price product.

I guarantee satisfaction.

I'm not suggesting the JBLs for mixing live, but when someone wants party speakers, no sub needed, a double 15 two way is the first that comes to mind. Peavy makes one much more affordable, it's decent. Would I buy these, no, not for mixing, I'm hooked up in that regard a scaleable w/Meyer rig for small bar shows.

The OP needed powered party speakers.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
At $400 a pair, you can go with these Behringer powered two ways. I believe it's a 10", w/a compression HF driver.

At that price point, you highly limited. There you go, Berry to the rescue.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hello I was wondering if anyone here has a set of Peavy HV1200 speakers and wondering if these are 4 ohm speakers. Do these crave lots of power I think he has a Onkyo TX SR706 receiver 100 watts per channel and curious of how this will push them. Im not even sure how many watts they can handle anyone have any input on these speakers.

JAMES MCHUGHES is online now Report Post

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sola /forum/post/19605765

One last question, what's the best way of connecting an iPod or Iphone tot he speakers?

Well a simple RCA male to 3.5mm Male cable will work

A buddy of mine at an outdoor pig roast had the Fender Passport 150 system . Its sound quality was amazing and performance was a complete surprise to me

Very portable too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts