AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goals: full sound (not light or hollow), warm (not fatiguing after a couple hours), small footprint, powered computer speakers.

Sources: youtube, podcasts, pandora, etc.

I'm at a loss. I've tried a million things and would love some advice from the audio experts here. I'm willing to invest in sound cards, DACs, etc down the line, but for now, I'm looking to start with powered speakers (I says speakers, not necessarily monitors, for reasons detailed below).

I have compared three computer speaker setups extensively (two of mine, and one my gfs).

Klipsch PM20: http://www.klipsch.com/groove-pm20-computer-speaker-system/details#specs

these are little 2.0 speakers, similar in size to the Bose Companion, with 2.5" drivers. They sound good, not great. As a casual user, I'd be happy, but I want a more audiophile sound. (upside: cheap, basic, downside: meh)

Bose Companion 2 series II: http://worldwide.bose.com/productsupport/en_us/web/companion2_series2/page.html

Very similar to the Klipsch, a single 2.5" full range driver. These sound great, but not audiophile quality. (upside: sound the same regardless of source quality, downside: above average is the best SQ you can get out of a 2.5" full range driver)

Event TR5: http://www.zzounds.com/item--EVETR5

5.25" Active studio monitors with a silk dome tweeter. (upside: detailed for quality sources, downside: crap for crap sources)

So, here's my problem. The Events (as well as my Dynaudio passives) sound amazing when hooked to my CD player or record player. The events sound a little thin on bass, maybe a bit to hollow (too neutral for my taste?) in the mids, but still great. On a computer setup, the downsides are more obvious. My girlfriends Bose Companions sound better than the Events for most Youtube music video's.

Just like the rest of you, I've thrown lots of $'s at speakers in the past and felt myself not 100% satisfied. I've had Audioengine A2's that were not great at all, imo. The Event TR5s sound maybe too revealing, or bright, to be pleasant. I felt much more satisfied with my old Cerwin Vega 12" 3-ways (a classic) or my Dynaudio BM50's.

I'm no longer concerned with accuracy, I now just want speakers that every joe-schmoe will say blows the bose out of the water. My music sources are 'very rarely' of high quality.

Am I spinning my wheels looking at near-field monitors to replace the Event TR5s? I think warm and detailed might be more of a goal than revealing, neutral, and accurate. I get fatigue listening to the Events regularly (probably due to mediocre sources)

I'm looking for advice on a small footprint powered speaker for my computer system. I will have a 10" sony subwoofer under the desk (in transit), so bass isn't a huge concern, however warmth is important, as I feel my Event TR5s are very fatiguing for 8 hr computer speaker use. They also need to have a small-ish footprint, so prob nothing over 4"... Do all 4" drivers sound hollow and light? I haven't had luck with anything under 6.5" yet, but am still searching. If $100 Bose can do a decent job, I imagine I can find something a step up that I'll love.

Are monitors just not my thing? I love detail and staging, but not if the cost is fatigue.

The models I'm considering are all in the sub-$400 price range per pair:

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX

Emotiva Airmotiv 4

Focal XS Book

Swan M50W

PSB Alpha 1

..or similar

Thanks for any help! I love this forum. AVS is the first site I visit for all my audio research!

Robert Jason

·
Registered
327 Posts
Heard good things about the Vanatoo if you stretch that budget another $100

edit: btw, do they have to be powered? If not, that opens up the door to say a Cambridge S30 powered by a little Qinpu or Audioengine integrated amp (which both have a line out for a subwoofer)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Try to audition the JBL LSR305. They are revealing but i feel the bass balances them out. If it's still too much you can trim the treble -2 dB to take the edge off and/or boost the bass +2 to add more warmth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. It looks like I have many options to think about, especially, in trying to figure out how to split the RCA's to powered monitors (or amp) and the sub (convert 2.0 to 2.1). I'm surprised there isn't any device on the market designed for this. Ron's Idea of EQ-ing the sound might also help.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know the sound of speakers from online reviews. Maybe I should be visiting some shops!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJason22  /t/1506388/powered-small-footprint-speakrs-that-arent-fatiguing#post_24094612

Thanks for the advice everyone. It looks like I have many options to think about, especially, in trying to figure out how to split the RCA's to powered monitors (or amp) and the sub (convert 2.0 to 2.1). I'm surprised there isn't any device on the market designed for this. Ron's Idea of EQ-ing the sound might also help.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know the sound of speakers from online reviews. Maybe I should be visiting some shops!

I have a pair of the Audioengine 5's. A Stereophile recommended component.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts