AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a Denon X3300W receiver, which actually has pre-outs for the fronts. I was wondering...would powered studio monitors like the JBL 306P or 308P Mk II be a good choice to upgrade from my HTD Level Three bookshelves? The other options I am considering at the Focial Aria 906 and Ohm Walsh Tall 2000 or possibly even the 3000. The HTD sound is a little too mushy for my taste. I want to retain the big, loud, maybe slightly warm(?) sound of the HTD's but with a lot better detail retrieval and more realism. Usage is an even mix of music, movies, and gaming. The fronts are crossed over at 80 Hz to the SB-2000 subwoofer.

My biggest concern is combining powered fronts with the passive Mirage OMD-5's I just bought as side surrounds. I haven't tried doing this before.

Thank you in advance for any insight :)

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
Hey all,

I have a Denon X3300W receiver, which actually has pre-outs for the fronts. I was wondering...would powered studio monitors like the JBL 306P or 308P Mk II be a good choice to upgrade from my HTD Level Three bookshelves? The other options I am considering at the Focial Aria 906 and Ohm Walsh Tall 2000 or possibly even the 3000. The HTD sound is a little too mushy for my taste. I want to retain the big, loud, maybe slightly warm(?) sound of the HTD's but with a lot better detail retrieval and more realism. Usage is an even mix of music, movies, and gaming. The fronts are crossed over at 80 Hz to the SB-2000 subwoofer.

My biggest concern is combining powered fronts with the passive Mirage OMD-5's I just bought as side surrounds. I haven't tried doing this before.

Thank you in advance for any insight :)
Should work just fine.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I tried it, and it worked, but I don't like having two volume/gain controls, one digital and one analog. I feel like I'm overlapping.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Near field monitors are no different than most home speakers! They don't have to be listened to a few feet away! Mid and far field in the pro world often has to do with SPL levels and are often much larger speakers. When you use a larger speaker with multiple and/or very large drivers the sound will not be combined a few feet away and they would not be appropriate if placed on a mixing console because the listener would not hear the combined sound of all the drivers. The same would be true about a home tower speaker that it would not be good in the near field because the sound from all the drivers would not be combined yet.

Thee average home bookshelf sized speaker and studio monitor can both be used in the near field. Just like some might use a small pair of bookshelf speakers with their computer. It doesn't mean their sound turns to mush as you move further away. Now there are acoustic advantages of an active speaker versus a passive one, but that is a different discussion.

BTW, you shouldn't need to use two volume controls with an active speaker except during set up. Once you set the volume on the active speaker, leave it in place and the volume should be controlled by your receiver or processor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just wanted to contribute a bit to this thread. After reading this, I swapped my diy floorstanders for my home studio's PreSonus Eris E5. Connected them to my Onkyo NR-5008's preouts. Sound is much much improved now it's not even funny.

My towers may be to blame here, but an interesting finding is that Audyssey XT32 makes almost no correction. I did a lot of tests comparing Pure Audio mode (no eq or bass management) vs Stereo Mode with audyssey on (no dynamic EQ or volume, fronts set to full range for the sake of fair comparison with subwoofer out of the play). There is almost no correction at all, meaning that my speakers, in my room, have an almost flat (by audyssey's standards, of course) curve. Meaning that they have awesome quality for the price, probably surpassing that of much expensive speakers. At least regarding to flat playback capability!

I'm keeping them there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts