AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my powered sub started making what can best be described as a crakling noise. I adjusted the gain and it had no impact on this noise. I then disconnected the RCA cable and it still makes the sound. I shut off the stereo and the sub still makes the noise. The only way to stop the noise is to unplug it from the wall (power). Any ideas? Is it receiving interferrence somehow? Could it be our wireless internet? We recently installed it but didn't notice the crackling subwoofer until the following week. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Move the subwoofer to another room and circuit. If you're still getting crackling noises, the amplifier is damaged and requires replacement or repair.

I doubt your wireless internet has anything to do with the noise, unless the wireless router is located within a few feet of the subwoofer, or the power supply is plugged into the adjacent outlet. In either case, moving the sub to another room/circuit would isolate that as a problem source.

Greg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Per your suggestion I'll move the sub to another room and see if I can't isolate the problem.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Sounds like you may have clipped the powered sub bass this is what I think is naff about powered subs because for the most they don’t incorporate a barograph display or clipping LED to warn the user that you are clipping the sub with dodgy and harmful peak levels like Cloverfield or Flight of the Phoenix!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I moved the sub to other electrical outlets around the house and get the same crackling noise no matter where I plug it in. Any ideas what might be wrong with it? Can I repair it or should I be looking to replace it? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts