AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

powered subwoofer setup

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  TracerBullet 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a powered subwoofer (a jbl psw-1000) and a sony str-de545. These two do not seem to work together. The sub has either two coax inputs (labeled 'low inputs') and two sets of speaker-style connectors (labeled 'high inputs'). The sony has a single coax output for a sub.

1) do I plug that output into the sub, either the left or the right? What am I missing when I do this?

2) what's the deal with the extra inputs on the sub? I've looked around at receivers, and even the high-end ones from denon and marantz don't have either style connector. What or how would I connect to this sub?

3) when I play the thx sample sounds on the toy story dvd's, the last test is baffling. I have a b&w lcr6s2 for a center and 601s3 for the left and rights, and there's this wierd sort of warbling when the test sound plays from 200 Hz to 20Hz. I'm guessing just that the speakers or the receiver isn't putting out the same volume of sound at various frequencies in the test, which makes the volume go up and down as the frequency decreases. In any event, as I go from 200 to 20, with the crossover on the sub set anywhere from 150 to 90 Hz, it just doesn't matter, the sub never engages. Why not? It sounds just the same with the sub unplugged from the receiver. That troubles me.

I apologize if these questions have been answered here before, but I just can't seem to figure this out.

(edit to remove some bad grammar) (but probably not all of it)

See less See more
#5 ·
no manual. picked it up cheap like that.

something I did just learn, that is, the answer to number2 (in case anyone else has this question): the other inputs are for the left and right speakers, ie, run the speaker wire from receiver/amp to the sub for the left and right, and then run from the outputs on the sub to the left/right speakers. this allows the sub to use it's crossover selection, rather than letting the receiver make the distinction.

I realize that this may seem totally obvious to everyone, but man, I had no idea.

#6 ·
On my amp, if you have the subwoofer wired to the left and right front speakers, you need to set the speaker size in the amp to large, "L", so the speaker will send the low freqs to the speakers. The front left and right speakers are then wired to the subwoofer and the subwoofer's internal crossover separates out the low frequencies.

You also have to set subwoofer = no/off in the amp. This sends the bass frequencies from the center and rear surround speakers to the front left and right speakers so the subwoofer can play them too.

If you dont do any of this, the subwoofer will never get the low freqs to kick in.

dickm

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.