AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a new great room setup that will primarily be for music. Unfortunately I am very limited in sub placement do to previous wiring and lack of walls in room. I am probably stuck with one sub. Room is 45 x 50 with 30 ft ceilings for largest part. I am just looking to supplement stereo speakers. In reviewing many of the brands here it appears that in many cases one can get better control/equalization with a separate amp. Is this a good idea for someone with limited placement options?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
That room is huge.

I wouldn't say there's any acoustical advantages, just convince advantages.

Do you want your sub amp located with the rest of the equipment to make adjusting the setting easier?
Or do you not have the space for a sub amp so you need it mounted on the back on the sub itself?

That's how I would make my decision.

·
Premium Member
13,336 Posts
Powered vs non powered, advantages for music?
None.

I am working on a new great room setup that will primarily be for music. Unfortunately I am very limited in sub placement do to previous wiring and lack of walls in room. I am probably stuck with one sub. Room is 45 x 50 with 30 ft ceilings for largest part. ... In reviewing many of the brands here it appears that in many cases one can get better control/equalization with a separate amp. Is this a good idea for someone with limited placement options?
1. ~67,500 cu.ft. is not a great room, it's a freakin' enormous room! :eek:

2. A separate amp may offer more placement flexibility - for example, the sub doesn't need to be located near a power outlet - but a built-in amp means you don't need to find a spot for a separate amp.

3. Some built-in amps have EQ flexibility (e.g., SVS PB/SB13-Ultra) as do some separate amps (e.g., the Behringer iNuke 6000DSP). For built-in or separate amps that don't, you're likely going to want to add some external EQ capability (e.g., miniDSP 2x4).

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Oops, i didn't read OP's last sentence clearlyenough. Time for more coffee.

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are pfft //

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
The advantage of a self-powered sub like I bought (Hsu VTF-2 mk4) is that the sub amp will take care of driving the low frequencies, offloading the workload from your AVR and main speakers. If the AVR offers bass management, set the crossover a bit higher, then your main speakers can more efficiently drive frequencies above, say, 120Hz.

That;s one of the more compelling arguments that I read before buying a bigger sub than I thought I'd need.

I bought the sub primarily to improve the range and quality of music reproduction, and it has definitely paid off.

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are pfft //
Passive subs offer benefit of rack mounted amplifiers, easier to go dual - get a 2 channel amp - and if the amplifier fails, it's easy to replace.

Replacing the amplifier inside a active sub will cost about 50%+ value of the sub, and after a few years you may not be able to buy a replacement amp.

Plate sub panels offer some features that may be lacking on amps though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.