AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the poll regarding how people power down their X1's, someone mentioned that they power down their X1 remotely using a wireless power strip from Radio Shack.

The consensus from the group, as well as Technut's FAQ, is that it is fine, even preferable, to do a "hard" power down from the switch on the pj.

Now how about:

(a) doing this kind of power down from a remote strip, without even turning off the switch on the pj?

(b) powering the unit back on from the power strip (i.e., the switch on the pj is still ON, and the pj receives the juice from the power strip when it is turned back on)?

Will either of these procedures have a negative effect on the pj?

·
Registered
505 Posts
There is no difference between a switch on the power strip, an X10 appliance module, wall switch or the internal switch of the X1. Personally I like turn off the X1 with the remote, let it cool until the fan turns off (low) and then flip the hard switch.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a remote controlled outlet as well. I usually use the X1 remote and let the fan cool it. At night I'll turn the outlet totally off. Since reading that instant OFF is safe, I also occasionally do that.

Remote vs. actual switch is the same - thus the purpose of MY remote. :)

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I have my X1 plugged into a powerstrip that also has a battery backup power supply. I usually power down with the remote then use the hard switch later to power down completely. I wonder if it would be better to use the power strip on/off switch just because my X1 is subjected to daily use and I'd hate to see the X1's switch go bad from use. But perhaps it was made to be used as often as a light switch.

I think the best bet (for me) will be to incorporate an X10 appliance switch with the set up I have. Best for convenience and for less mechanical wear.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jayw
Personally I like turn off the X1 with the remote, let it cool until the fan turns off (low) and then flip the hard switch.
That's exactly how I do it with an X10 power outlet/control board to do the final shutoff. X10 is very convenient as I also have my room lights on it to remotely dim just like a real theatre. :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
It occurred to me that a lot of X1 users are also X10 users. I would fit into both categories too. What is this secret connection? Is it the hidden "Geek" gene that is to blame!? If I invented something and call it the X100 would we all buy it? Enquiring minds want to know...

JayW

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Dear JayW,

I recently heard of your new X100 product in development and I am very interested in it. Could you please send me more information, and if you need any beta testers please keep me in mind.

Thanks,

technut

:p

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm waiting to upgrade to the X1000. I think I'll skip the X100. *TEEHEE*

·
Registered
505 Posts
I tried the X1000 but I saw rainbows.

I'm so bad.

JayW

·
Registered
7 Posts
On a related note...

Anyone have this problem?

I've powered off my X1 via the remote (ie. pressing power twice) so that I can come back in a 10 minutes to turn it back on. When I press power on the remote again, nothing happens. The fan continues but the lamp is still off. I end up having to turn the projector off with the switch, and then waiting 5 minutes to turn in back on. How do you turn it back on with the remote?

For now, I'm not using the remote control power down feature.

Thanks....

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
On my X1 and remote I have to press it twice to power off. If it is left in the soft power off position (The Hard off switch has not been turned off) then I just have to press the remote button once to power back up.

A sufficient amount of time should have passed before the second power up occurs for the lamp to not be damaged. It may even have a delay not allowing one to power back up immediately. I don't know, I've never tried.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyrano
On my X1 and remote I have to press it twice to power off. If it is left in the soft power off position (The Hard off switch has not been turned off) then I just have to press the remote button once to power back up.
But if you ever have a short power outage, your X1 will come fully ON when the power comes back and that is dangerous. Very dangerous.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vantorax
But if you ever have a short power outage, your X1 will come fully ON when the power comes back and that is dangerous. Very dangerous.
Good that you pointed out a potential shutdown problem.

You are so right, sir. However, I was merely referring to the amount of button presses needed to perform each task. I always hard power down after the fan has finished its run. And then usually about ten minutes more. Some say the low sound heard after the Fan quiets down is not the fan on low speed but I think it is the fan on low speed so I let it go for about ten minutes, then a Hard shut down.

I never leave it in a semi-powered position. That is very bad. My neighbor got an X1 about a month after seeing mine and they were surprised one night when their PJ came on all by itself after a short power outage. They learned the very lesson you speak of.

I also have my PJ connected to a UPS (battery backup) surge protector. Twice now the power has gone off. And while the house flickered and finally went off our PJ just put out its steady light and I was able both times to perform my customary shutdown procedure. The flickering on/off during a power outage could, it would seem, do great damage to the Lamp.

I made reference to my Hard Power down procedure about 9 posts ago in this thread. Just before yours 8 posts ago on 1-21-04.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.