AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30,796 Posts
It says 50w output for the sub which implies that it will. Looks too cheap to be believed.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I don't see how it could have any real, usable power seeing that it's powered off a little power pack like what my electric toothbrush uses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. Much appreciated. Here is a video of a very similar amp hooked up to a 2.1 system:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6496921070498#

Obviously I'm just trying to get some power to my sub as cheaply as possible. I like the Dayton unit that was suggested as well.

One other quick question (pardon my ignorance)...is it correct to assume that the amp that drives the sub in system that required a powered subwoofer does not need a crossover or anything to filter out all but the low frequencies since this is already done by the receiver?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkshift /forum/post/18307958

I don't see how it could have any real, usable power seeing that it's powered off a little power pack like what my electric toothbrush uses.

Was thinking the same thing, but then was wondering how those small 12V amps that my buddies used to hook up the bass tubes in their cars could push out so much power...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Those auto 12v amplifiers rely on lots of current rather than voltage. That's why those guys run 0 gauge for the power cables to the amplifiers. That little thing above may run on 12v, but even that little connector socket where it plugs in can't support any sort of current. I'm willing to be that the little power pack that supports it is only rated at about 1000mAh or so and has 20gauge power leads, at most. I'm sure we all have similar power packs all over the house for charging phones, cameras, universal remotes, etc.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The Dayton APA150 is a nice little amp. Another option in the Behringer A500 if you're willing to spend a little more. It has tons of power especially into 8 ohms in bridged mode.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm actually using the very similar LP-838 in a 2.1 desktop setup. It's fine for my purposes. According to the ebay ad for that A-210 amp, the LP-838 is "better quality", whatever that means. The seller I bought it from included a decent power supply and only rated the sub channel at 20W or so, which seems more believable than 50W. I have no way of measuring the delivered power, but it's not too hard to drive my sub channel into audible clipping if I turn it way up. For moderate volume it gets the job done fine; if I were more serious about this setup I'd get a different amp for the sub.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralD /forum/post/18314236

I'm actually using the very similar LP-838 in a 2.1 desktop setup. It's fine for my purposes. According to the ebay ad for that A-210 amp, the LP-838 is "better quality", whatever that means. The seller I bought it from included a decent power supply and only rated the sub channel at 20W or so, which seems more believable than 50W. I have no way of measuring the delivered power, but it's not too hard to drive my sub channel into audible clipping if I turn it way up. For moderate volume it gets the job done fine; if I were more serious about this setup I'd get a different amp for the sub.

Thanks...this is helpful. I don't need a sub that shakes the house...just something that will push out more bass than how I have it set up now (parallel with RF surround speaker and receiver set on large). So I just want to be sure before I buy something like this that it will accept the LFE subwoofer signal from the receiver. Can anyone comment...?

·
Registered
882 Posts
There may be better choices if you're only using this to power the sub channel. That amp has three channels and you're only using one, plus you still need to buy a power supply. If you don't want to spend much, I'd find it tough to believe you could get a much better bargain than the Foster amp here:

http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/

Or maybe one of the amps here:

http://www.apexjr.com/amps.html

You might want to build a little box to hold these amps, but that's easy enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkshift /forum/post/18309269

I'm willing to be that the little power pack that supports it is only rated at about 1000mAh or so and has 20gauge power leads, at most.

The power output of the required transformer is 12v DC 2amp. The power supply to all 6 speakers that the sub came from before I got my new receiver was 12v DC 8amp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts