AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a riser in my basement on top of carpet. I can't seem to find the best method which to power my seating on both raiser and the ground level seating. The riser will be up against the wall (coincidentally by the breaker box) near two wall outlets. Is it safe to run an extension cord through the riser to provide power to the chairs or what would be the best method where i can power the chairs?also, toying with the idea of rope lighting.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am building a riser in my basement on top of carpet. I can't seem to find the best method which to power my seating on both raiser and the ground level seating. The riser will be up against the wall (coincidentally by the breaker box) near two wall outlets. Is it safe to run an extension cord through the riser to provide power to the chairs or what would be the best method where i can power the chairs?also, toying with the idea of rope lighting.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe I am not understanding the setup. Why not just run a power strip?

Row 1 - plug all chairs into a power strip. Place strip next to last chair or against wall. Run cord to outlet. Do same for row with riser. Each chair's power cord can be run under the row of chairs so you don't have wires sticking out the back of each chair.

You can get a black or dark color strip and it will not stand out as much. Zip-tie or use a small conduit if needed to manage the wires.

If the wires cannot be hidden to your satisfaction, there is an alternative... make the riser permanent and get an electrician to install some outlets in the riser itself.

Safe? Probably...Legal (to code)? NOT...
I agree with the sentiment. Still I would argue that this particular item is not to code because it is not safe. You will probably be fine 99% of the time. But do you want to be the 1% who's house burns down?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I would not think so. An extension cord in a wall is considered unsafe. Would think this would be similar.

Why not wire an outlet in proper? I would think romex would be kosher in a riser.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look up "PowerBridge" on amazon. I used one to run power to my projector. It's not super cheap, but it's an elegant alternative to extension cords.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Unless you want to tap into either an outlet or the breaker box itself and do the job to code. (You can use outdoor covered outlets "in some places" in the floor of the riser.) Your only real option is power strips, maybe these will suit your needs better than the small ones:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-outlet-super-power-strip-96737.html
(They have them at Lowe's & H.D. also)

You can only legally use an extension cord if its not buried in or under things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.