AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am re-designing my entire house and I have everything mapped out except my main home theatre area.

I will have a 52" LCD, 3 powered speakers, and 1 huge powered subwoofer in the "front" of the room and I obviously want to hide as many devices and wires but at the same time I want to purchase a few APC units to protect ALL my electronics. Now my APC unit will be in a media closet (15 feet away) but still want that protection for the equipment listed above.

I have seen powerkits, but my question is, will I need 1 Kit PER equipment? Is there anyway I can setup maybe 2 kits (dedicate 1 to the big subwoofer and the rest to the other) and splice 1 kit to different outlets?

For example APC Unit -> A/C Outlet (Powerkit) -> Splice 4 times -> Each splice in its own Power Plugin (PowerKit)?

Rather than each A/C Outlet having its own Power Plugin? I am not trying to cut corners as I am trying to consonse the amount of A/C Outlets needed in my media closet.

I hope I am being clear on what I am trying to accomplish. Again, I appreciate all you guys advise/help! I am almost complete planning/rebuilding. I will post pics when I am done.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,116 Posts
Yes, you can put multiple wall outlets attached to a single power inlet. You can either daisy chain the outlets like your homes outlets are already wired or bring a home run of Romex to the power inlet box and twister tie them together with a pigtail to the power inlet connections. For code legal you would need to count the wires and connectors and do a box fill calculation. If you daisy chain, the fill calculation is not going to be a problem.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Technically you can do this...but I would advise against it.

You specifically mentioned APC units. Their A/V units are designed for certain equipment on specific outlets, with different filters applying to each outlet. Advanced features allow for sequential power on/off per outlet, as well as separate isolated noise filter banks per outlet. Connecting multiple devices to a single outlet invalidates these settings and options.

Now, this isn't written in stone...you can plug any device into any outlet and it will work just fine...but if you're spending money on a piece of hardware to protect your gear, you should always follow the manufacturer's recommended setup (which advises 1 device per designated outlet).

Since PowerBridge wiring is done with Romex inside the walls, you really won't have any extra visible wires in your theater, regardless of which option you choose to go with.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvids4all /forum/post/16914050

Technically you can do this...but I would advise against it.

You specifically mentioned APC units. Their A/V units are designed for certain equipment on specific outlets, with different filters applying to each outlet. Advanced features allow for sequential power on/off per outlet, as well as separate isolated noise filter banks per outlet. Connecting multiple devices to a single outlet invalidates these settings and options.

Now, this isn't written in stone...you can plug any device into any outlet and it will work just fine...but if you're spending money on a piece of hardware to protect your gear, you should always follow the manufacturer's recommended setup (which advises 1 device per designated outlet).

Since PowerBridge wiring is done with Romex inside the walls, you really won't have any extra visible wires in your theater, regardless of which option you choose to go with.

My problem is in my media closet, if I dedicate 1 equipment to 1 powerkit, I will have 5 outlets in my media closet including the regular outlets (4 dedicated line to the circuit breaker) that would be 9 outlets which is what I want to avoid if I can and the cost per kit is not cheap but thats a secondary reason.

What if I link the 3 powered speakers to 1, TV on its own, and the sub on its own? Would that be better?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I think that would be much better. Keeping the TV separate and the sub separate are going to be the important factors.

Believe me, I understand the concern about cost...that being said, take a look at the Make your own PowerBridge thread for much cheaper alternatives. The 2nd page contains some links to Midlite, who now has individual components of the PowerBridge available for purchase...much more cost efficient for you since you can get 3 inlets for your media closet, and just buy regular outlets for the theater.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvids4all /forum/post/16914281

I think that would be much better. Keeping the TV separate and the sub separate are going to be the important factors.

Believe me, I understand the concern about cost...that being said, take a look at the Make your own PowerBridge thread for much cheaper alternatives. The 2nd page contains some links to Midlite, who now has individual components of the PowerBridge available for purchase...much more cost efficient for you since you can get 3 inlets for your media closet, and just buy regular outlets for the theater.

Wow, Thanks for the link and info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.