AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else watching Sony's first foray into original programming on its video streaming service with the super hero TV series "Powers"? I'm a Playstation Plus member and have been watching "Powers" for free.

I thought the first episode, which is available free for anyone on YouTube:
was a bit of a mess and hard to follow. It seemed like the show just kind of throws you into this world, where a fairly substantial number of everyday citizens openly use their super powers (some for good as "heroes" and others not so good), without much explanation.

However, having just watched the fifth episode, released this week, it's really hitting its stride, and this is becoming my favorite super hero-themed TV show right now -- and I pretty much watch them all (SHIELD, Arrow, Flash, Gotham, etc.).

It feels like a super hero show for adults, doing the kinds of things graphically and thematically that darker shows like Arrow and Gotham touch on, but can't really run with all the way.

Production values are very good, including special effects, with solid acting (Michelle Forbes and Eddie Izzard in regular supporting roles) and plenty of interesting characters.

It's a ten-episode season that you can purchase on Sony's Video Unlimited service for $25 (for HD), but if you have a Playstation device, you can do a one-month Playstation Plus membership for $10 and watch all the episodes once they are all released (five to go, released on a weekly basis).

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
I haven't been reading good things about this... and I don't like the idea of having to subscribe to yet another unique service to get one TV show... so I'll be passing. If there's not another legal way to watch this without having to buy it sight-unseen, then I'll be passing. I did like the comic it is based on, so that's a shame if I don't see it... or if it is bad.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first season of Powers is now available to stream for free on Crackle. It's worth a look for those who like superhero shows in the vein of Netflix's Daredevil and Jessica Jones (edgier, with premium cable levels of graphic violence and sex). It was at least good enough to get renewed for its relatively small audience on Sony's video platform.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts