AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completly new to powerstrip, and at the moment very confused of what to do. I want to be able to change my resolutions to 480p, 540p, 720p, 1080i, etc... To output to my NEC lt150, as I hear it enhances picture quite a bit for DVD Playback.

I have a visiontek geforce 4 ti4400. I have copied the values from waynes powerstrip guide ( http://www.digitalconnection.com/Sup...ffnotes_17.htm ) for the geforce cards.

When I try to set a new resolution it gives me this error: http://www.geocities.com/cardguy1000/screenshot.gif (that is a screenshot of error)

If anyone could assist I would greatly appreciate it. Also any links to tutorials on powerstrip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot,

I know us newbies are annoying :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
The reason the geocities url isn't working is because geocities has restrictions on their sites so that they can control bandwidth. The best way to open the site's up from geocities is to:

1. Open up a new browser window and goto www.geocities.com

2. Copy/Paste the specific geocities URL you want

3. Paste it in the browser with geocities.com opened.

4. It should open fine since geocities sees that someone is coming from geocities to the site. :)

Enjoy!:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry didn' t know geocities is now using linking control. Here is what the screenshot said:

Windows will need to be restarted to see if the display driver has accepted the new resolution. Unless you have additional custom resolutions to define, you should restart windows at this time.

Note: AS a safety precaution Windows will be restared at the current resolution. YOu can then use PowerStrip to switch to the new resolution, if available, with the option of easily cancelling the operation if your monitor goes out of sync.

Buttons Available: Restart & Continue

thks

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
That's not an error... You have to restart Windows for it to become aware of the new resolution you've created with PowerStrip, once Windows has been restarted, the new resolution should be available if PS is working properly.

What this message is trying to tell you is if you are adding several custom resolutions, you may want to define them all before restarting, if you restart after adding each resolution you'll be wasting a lot of time.

I suggest restarting after entering the first custom res. to see if PS was able to add it... If so, then add all the others before restarting again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After I restart nothing happens. I then go into powerstrip and again try to add that custom resolution, I get the same message, restart/continue. Once you restart is there somewhere special you need to go to rather than advanced timings>Custom Resolutions>User Definded... How do I know if my video card accepted it?

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Once you've added the res. with PS, it should be available in Windows display properties settings tab, just like you'd switch normal res. Once you've added all the custom res. you want with PS, you don't even need PS any more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will only the resolutions listed on the video cards box work with powerstrip? As it seems I can not get any resolutions other than those listed on my box to be accepted by my computer, but I would think a geforce 4 ti4400 could handle about any resolution there is.

Specs:

CPU: Pentium 4 1.6a 478pga

Motherboard: MSI 845 Ultra ARU

Graphics Card: Visiontek Geforce 4 TI4400

DVD Rom: Liteon LTD163

Sound Card: Zoltrix Nightengale Pro 6

NIC: 3C905TXM

Hard Drives: WD 13.6GB for OS/Programs, IBM 60GXP 60GB recordings

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It has been a while since I've used PS... I could be missing a step somewhere.

Digital Connection's website has this guide for PowerStrip 3... It might be helpful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for the link, but I have already read that tutorial about 3 times. That is where I got the Nvida based timings off of to begin with, it told you to copy them into the ini file, which I did. I just really want to get 540p or 720p working, and I just can't seem to find out how. I don't know if my card does not support those resolutions or what. But I do appreciate everyones help, I'll try finding some more tutorials on the internet, maybe then I can see what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks alot, Jeff

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Sorry, I see I posted the same link you posted in the opening message... It's been a long night, I think I'm going to sleep now. :)

One other detail I vaguely remember, in Windows display properties you have to choose a monitor capable of displaying the custom res. you've created. What monitor does Windows think you're using?

(At least I helped keep this thread near the top all night) :D

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
make sure you choose "custom timings" when on the first screen.

If you click on the drop down menu there are 3 choices and one of them is custom timings.

Blue

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, I read about the monitor also so I installed a Sony GDW-W900 or something like that, very very high resolution support. And yes I selected custom resolution also. I really don't know what is going on here. Has anyone else with a G4 TI4400 had success?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hard to say what the problem is in this case, but here's some general guidelines:

1. Make sure you are using the latest version of PowerStrip (3.18) with the latest NVidia drivers - the GF4 is new hardware and isn't going to be properly supported by an old version of PowerStrip

2. Go to Windows Display properties > Settings and have a look at the Resolution slider: you will *not* be able to create any custom resolutions that are *higher* than the highest resolution available there: if Windows won't let you select 1024x768, its certainly not going to let you select 1920x1080, no matter how many times you create it

3. Don't waste time re-creating the same resolution over and over again. If it didn't work the first time, it's not going to work the 2nd or 3rd - the driver doesn't like it. If it does work, the new resolution will be listed in Windows Display properties > Settings, whether you run PowerStrip again or not

4. Don't bother pasting anything into the pstrip.ini file - instructions that tell you to do that are outdated and apply to a beta that has long since been superceded

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I have made an edit to the guide and deleted the reference to modifying the pstrip.ini file and instead detailed the PS 3 copy and paste function.

Please refer to the AVS version for the time being.

Cardguy100: First, as Ashley said, update PS 3 to the latest & greatest version using the live update function. Make sure the Sony GDM-w900 is listed as your monitor. Copy the timing strings listed and paste them into the custom resolution screen using the paste button.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replys, didn't expect the tutorial creator to respond to my post but THANKS karnis! I'm going to try your guys advice. Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you so much for you guys help. The version did indeed fix it, I had the version 3.02, which is pretty darn old. I can't thank you enough for your continuous help. God bless avs-forums and its users :D

Thanks Again, Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.