AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone using powerstrip the new beta is out http://64.113.35.210/ps.htm . Here are some of the new features/fixes from readme:

05/13/2002 - 3.16.280

- Added transparent headswapping for GF4 and GF4MX

- Added phased clock adjustments for compatibility with Ti4600

- Added idle thread to optionally defeat PM and screen saver

- Revised AGP 8x/3.0 detection

- Fixed stencil buffer disable for R200/RV200

- Added support for new graphics controllers

- Simplified/rationalized run-as-service support

- Revised TwinView enumeration (again)

- Patched around Radeon NT/2K/XP broken interlacing

- Added minimize all windows option for application profiles

- Updated multilanguage support

- Improved safety switches

- Added series of base non-linear gamma ramps (sRGB, Mac, etc.)

·
Registered
408 Posts
------------------- Patched around Radeon NT/2K/XP broken interlacing------------------------

Does this mean that interlaced resolutions are working for xp drivers even 8500's ????????

·
Registered
645 Posts
That's an official release, not a beta.

And yes: there is a workaround implemented in 3.16 for interlacing (desktop and 3D, not overlays) with all Radeons and all 2K/XP drivers. If your video player supports it, and you are so inclined, it is also possible to disable the overlay altogether, and watch videos interlaced, with full RGB gamma correction.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't understand are you saying we can watch a dvd without using the overlay????

if so how do you do this/

thanks for all your help ---- Justin

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fs123
For anyone using powerstrip the new beta is out http://64.113.35.210/ps.htm . Here are some of the new features/fixes from readme:

05/13/2002 - 3.16.280

- Added transparent headswapping for GF4 and GF4MX

Is this available for Radoen VE? I haven't found an easy but accident free way to hot key swap the dual heads.

·
Registered
645 Posts
You can display any video without an overlay - but not all video *players* can do this. Overlays also incorporate and draw on hardware assisted YUV-to-RGB conversion, as well as other critical things like hardware scaling. Get rid of the overlay, and the software player (and your CPU of course) have to do all the work. The result will be pretty miserable - but it can be done...

If you really want to try it, I'll post instructions...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ashley Saldanha
You can display any video without an overlay - but not all video *players* can do this. Overlays also incorporate and draw on hardware assisted YUV-to-RGB conversion, as well as other critical things like hardware scaling. Get rid of the overlay, and the software player (and your CPU of course) have to do all the work. The result will be pretty miserable - but it can be done...

If you really want to try it, I'll post instructions...
Please post away. It would be interesting to see what it looks like.....

Rob

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ashley Saldanha
No, the GF4 "head swapping" referred to has no parallel with Matrox or ATI or even GF2 cards...
Then can Powerstrip provide a key combination for dual head swap?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding. 3.16 was updated to Build 281 to allow interlacing with the Radeon Win9x drivers as well.

One thing: to get this to work - this interlacing problem is introduced with newer Radeon drivers - you do need to go to Advanced timing options and enable interlacing, as the workaround can only be enabled from there. You may actually have to check and uncheck, then check interlacing again. Its not elegant, but this is a driver workaround, and the driver has to be re-initialized for it to take.

One way around this complexitity, in 281, is as follows:

1. Close PowerStrip if its running (make sure you have Build 281)

2. Open the pstrip.ini file in Notepad

3. Add the following switch:

[Global Options]

DisableRadeonTiming=1

4. Save back to disk

5. Start PowerStrip

Your old interlaced timing should work fine now.

Note - Very Important! If you subsequently decide to use only progressive resolutions, change that value to 0.

Rob - I think all you may need to do to disable the overlay is follow the steps above, and add the following switch:

[Global Options]

DisableRadeonOverlay=1

Note that some/many DVD players will refuse to run if there is no overlay. WMP will run though. Change the desktop to 16bpp (32bpp is too high), and reduce the desktop resolution to the video screen size (so no scaling is required). You can use the regular RGB brightness/contrast/gamma/temperature controls to adjust the picture.

jacmyoung - are you running XP? This isn't something usual - the heads are equal on the GF4 and Radeon VE/7500, but they aren't on the G4x0/G550/8500 or GF2.

·
Registered
408 Posts
thanks for your help Ashley.

Gave it a try ( couldn't help myself ) and yes it worked and yes it looked like crap. I would not suggest trying this but if you do you will need to reverse the actions, meaning, setting both settings in powerstrip to 0 instead of one, if you want to get your overlay back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.