AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Newly re-tubed Sony 1272 that I am connecting to my first HTPC, I am waiting on a few parts to arrive to finish building the pc. My goal is to use powerstrip to get a good quality picture without putting excessive wear on the tubes. I don't want to push the PJ to the limit to lesson the life on the tubes. I have a very limited understanding of the power strip settings , or how to calculate the resolutions. I was wondering if someone could recommend some reading on the subject. Most of the posts I have read are not directed at the beginner , and are difficult to understand. I do not want to make a mistake and damage the projector or the PC. If there is a 1272 , HTPC user that could give me some good power strip settings for a starting point, until I can make some sense of the numbers, and how they they work, it would be be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, ED:confused

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I forgot to mention. This set up will basically be used as a DVD movie theater, no TV.games etc. The screen will be 102" dia, with a ATI 9800 Pro video card in the pc.

Hope this helps!

Ed :confused: :confused: :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'll assume you will mainly use your HTPC to play DVDs. If this is so, start with 800x600x72hz. Using Powerstrip you can create your own monitor inf for the 1271.

This will not overdrive the projector and get you in the middle of the road for resolution and refresh rate. It will take awhile to get all the components (SW, HW, FW) all configured on the new HTPC. With a standard setting you can concentrate on getting the HTPC parameters set properly. It is easy to change the monitor settings after that and made the other adjustments necessary resulting from a change in display specs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I"m at [email protected] 71.928 for my main viewing. Once and a while I will go up to 720p but I think that it gets to soft. I tried 1080i but the picture still seems unstable to me...

I started off with 480p and worked my way up until I thought it was the highest resolution with out getting to soft.

There alot of different setting you can try. If you go to high the 1272 will just give you a out of range screen. When using powerstrip it gives you a 10-15 second test before it will revert back to the old settings just in case you give it a bad resolution.

Bmo

·
Registered
314 Posts
With new tubes 720p is possible....doing this on my 1272...but...the number of lines is also depending on the screenheight that is used...

You simply have to increase the number of lines until the scanlinegaps almost disappear...On my 2m wide 16:9 screen 720p was well possible

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Here is my 576p at 47.952hz timing that I used with my old 1251. You don't have a location listed, but I assume you watch NTSC.

The porches are reduced, so reduce your contrast if you try it, and look into the lenses straight away, make sure you aren't over the tube edges!

IMO 720p is too high for a ES focus pj, but with new tubes 666p may be a better choice.

"C:\\Program Files\\PowerStrip\\pstrip.exe" /t:720,32,88,32,576,14,4,58,27263,272

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies,

Sorry I have not replied sooner, I was out of town on a family emergency, I just got back to my computer today. I am going to copy this thread to save all the info everyone was kind enough to offer, and use it for future reference, I now have my 9800 pro video card and the sound card, and I can finish putting the HTPC together in the next few days. I will have a lot of questions on getting it set up, I am sure. :eek: .

Thanks for the assistance

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.