AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so for a few days now I have had Powerstrip up and running and configured with 2 resolutions: 640x480p and 720x540p, both of which give me workable--though not perfect--desktops on my 4:3 32" direct view HDTV set. Other resolutions I try give me either squished displays (e.g., 1920x540p) or barf all over my display in scrolling shades of green (e.g., 1920x1080i).

When I play DVDs, PQ looks reasonably good, but I may not know what I'm missing. Here are my questions:

1) Should I add these "DVD" powerstrip settings, even though I don't use them for my desktop, e.g., when DVD playback starts, the correct "DVD 1.5" or whatever resolution will be automatically selected into the overlay for improved image quality?

2) Or, must the resolution in question be selected as my desktop in order to improve DVD PQ? (I'm really hoping this is not the answer).

3) Does any of this make any difference for my 4:3 32" display? As I mentioned, DVD PQ seems good enough to me, but that may be my ignorance talkin'.

4) As I understand it, even at 480p, I'm already ahead of my pre-HTPC non-progressive scan Toshiba DVD player, right?

5) Bonus question: does any of this matter for standard TV play (WinTV, SageTV, Snapstream, etc.), or is the overlay for this always 640x480p?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just found this quote:
"A powerful application profiler can detect when programs are launched and respond by activating specific display settings, gamma adjustments, performance switches and even clock speeds - returning everything to normal when the program closes."

( Powerstrip home page )

But I'm unclear as to whether these profiles are automatically detected/triggered or whether I need to configure them in Powerstrip, e.g., "when running PowerDVD, use 960x540p".

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found this thread , which discusses application profiles. But no mention of custom resolutions there... Unfortunately, I don't have my HTPC at the ready here, so I'll have to play around with this later.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You can configure Powerstrip to automatically change to the desired resolution (whether it's custom or not) on startup of a specific application. I've got this very thing working with a custom resolution & PowerDVD. When you close the application it will default back to your desktop resolution. You can also configure color settings this way.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Tracie. Looks like I'll be doing some tweaking tonight. :) I have a question, if you can answer it. Does the way you launch an application matter? I noticed the following "weasel words" in the thread I linked above:
"You have the option to tell PowerStrip to watch for the launch of - in this case - Quake3.exe regardless of how its launched (e.g., from the Windows Start menu or a desktop shortcut). While this works just fine for direct hardware changes, PowerStrip changes to driver registry switches may be made too late to take effect. If, therefore, your application profile calls for changes to driver registry switches, it is highly recommended the application be launched from the PowerStrip menu or a PowerStrip shortcut. "

Will applications like PowerDVD or WinTV have an issue with this?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm getting the hang of this. I have actually created a custom resolution of 720x530p, making sure that the total number of vertical lines is still 563, at Horizontal scan rate=33.75kHz and Vertical refresh rate=59.947Hz (540p timing, I believe). This lets me correct for too much overscanning at the top of the screen.

I have both measured the black bars and have taken pictures of the same paused scene during DVD playback through the HTPC and through my Toshiba DVD player, and everything seems to be virtually identical (it wasn't before). I can add the resolution to PowerDVD as an application profile in Powerstrip and launch PowerDVD right from Powerstrip (right-click and select the PowerDVD profile). Anyone see a problem with using a resolution of 530 vertical lines (with 563 total @ 540p timings)? I recall reading other people playing similar tricks to deal with too much overscan.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Anyone see a problem with using a resolution of 530 vertical lines (with 563 total @ 540p timings)?
Pretty sad that I have to quote myself, but does any see a problem with the timing profile I described above? Karnis? Anyone?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.