AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to give Powerstrip with my transcoder configuration another valiant try tonight after I install the latest ATI Catalyst drivers (3.7), but the patient is in bad shape. The previous night, I had myHD hooked to my TV via the RGB break-out cable, and it was stunning. But wanting to get my monitor out of the loop, I then went to the transcoder configuration. Results were less than encouraging. 640x480p was the only mode I could get to half-way work with my 4:3 32" Samsung TV, and at the resulting timing settings, DVDs looked okay, but I could tell colors were slightly off (too hot), and at the last attempt, I got significant DVD stuttering. myHD faired even worse, with 4:3 digital content significantly shifted to the left and 16:9 HD content severely dark and color-distorted.

So... I'm getting the ATI dongle any day now, and was hoping against hope that I wouldn't have to do the Powerstrip tease. From what I can see from Karnis' guide, I don't think I'll get too far w/o Powerstrip, but hopefully I'll be able to squeeze by, since all I want from it now is SDTV + DVD playback at 640x480p through one dongled component input of my HDTV set, while I feed myHD through the RGB break-out cable to the other component input.

With regards to the ATI dongle, are there any settings one has to change in the ATI control panel to make it work and/or optimize performance?

·
Registered
809 Posts
How are you hooked up? Powerstrip doesn't affect the full screen MyHD image. You don't even need Powerstrip for the MyHD to function.

Did you remember to set the MyHD back to RGB output when you switched to the transcoder?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gtrogue -- I am hooked up per option #3 in this guide .

I would prefer this setup, as I would be able to have both my desktop and myHD through the same component input on my HDTV. The only way I see to eliminate Powerstrip when using myHD is to use two separate component inputs, one for myHD, and the 2nd for my desktop + DVD playback + NTSC (PVR-250) viewing. But as you suggested in this thread , that wouldn't be optimal: "If you go with Option 1 you will not be able to see the Windows desktop at all on component 1 of your TV. You will have to flip back and forth between component 1 and 2 to alternately see the MyHD feed and the Windows desktop. When the MyHD is not outputting full screen, component 1 will be blank, ie, no signal to your TV."

Quote:
You don't even need Powerstrip for the MyHD to function.
: I'm confused, as you can tell. How do I get a desktop if Powerstrip is MIA?

And yes, myHD is back to RGB, but not for long, I'm afraid :(.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you connect the video card up to a separate monitor and run a standard windows resolution and connect the MyHD to your TV via RGB or Component you don't need Powerstrip.

Powerstrip doesn't affect the MyHD fullscreen output, period. When you are outputting the full screen output the signal is being generated by the MyHD card. When you are viewing the MyHD app windowed or have it completely closed the MyHD signal is "turned off" and the video card output is passed through untouched. Its very much like hitting the TV/VCR button on a VCR.

You are correct that if you want to view the video card output and the MyHD output on a single input on your TV you need to use the pass-through connection option. However, PS only affect the video card output.

You can test it yourself. Set your windows desktop to 640x480 and uninstall PS. Reboot your computer and start the MyHD app and go to fullscreen. You will see that the HD output is in whatever resolution you set it to in the MyHD options, ie, 720p, 1080i, etc. Heck, you don't even need to uninstall PS. Just set the res. to 640x480 and start the MyHD app.

I actually used my HD card for a couple of days before I installed PS.

Are you sure you have the output resolution in the MyHD app set to a supported resolution of your TV? If you set it to 720p or 1024x768p you will get all kinds of funky results if your TV doesn't support those timings.

I doubt the ATI component dongle is going to fix the MyHD problem.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I am aware of all you said. Basically, there should be a way to get myHD to work through a transcoder when outputting RGB. At least that's what the folks at digitalconnection.com indicate in their guide. Trouble is, to get the desktop on the TV (I don't want a monitor in my den; that would be marital suicide), I need Powerstrip. So that leaves me with separating myHD's output and my video card's output.

myHD will go via a VGA break-out cable (I had this working beautifully a couple of days ago), and my video card will go either via the transcoder (doubtful at this point, since DVD output seems rather poor) or the dongle... unless the dongle is not supported by my Radeon 9000 pro, which I can't find anywhere in the compatibility list in the dongle's manual.

Why am I doing this to myself again? Oh, yeah. It's cool. :D

·
Registered
809 Posts
I connect the MyHD through a transcoder using the VGA loopback cable for video card output and the MyHD output and the PC video card output works fine. Perhaps your HD card is malfunctioning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.