Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a HTPC that I am using as a line doubler (dScaler), I am currently not using powerstrip, should i be using it also ????

I'm using a sony 1272QM to watch DVD's (from external DVD player into the composite input of the BT878 card) and also to watch Cable (no not HD unfortunatly) DVD playback I would consider spectacular but the cable it needs a bit of work but I think thats more so related to the cable provider here is Australia.

The resolution I have been running the HTPC in is 1024x768

Should I be using Powerstrip ?

What wil it give me that I don't allready have ?

TIA

Paul.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Paul, PowerStrip is a godsend for CRT projector users, so IMHO, yes, you should be using it.

For starters, your CRT projector can be set to run at a multiple of 24 frames per second with PowerStrip by changing the vertical refresh rate to 48 Hz or 72 Hz. When viewing DVDs which were originally shot on film, its nice to be able to watch it without the 3:2 pulldown nonsense normally found on NTSC discs. For PAL discs you can also run at a better frequency for them (e.g. 50 Hz).

Second, what is your screen aspect ratio? I'm guessing its 4:3 since you are running 1024x768 and are happy with it. :) PowerStrip lets you change your Windows desktop to be 16:9 aspect ratio (rather than 4:3), letting you send pure anamorphic video to your projector. This is good when you are viewing anamorphic material (widescreen DVDs) as the projector can be configured to do the anamoprhic squeeze rather than having it done by the DVD player or PC.

So IMHO, PowerStrip will give you a smoother video (when the vertical refresh is set to the frame rate of the source), and if your screen was 16:9 (or anything else other than 4:3) it will help you control the desktop for that screen configuration.

Given that you are using an HTPC, why aren't you using it for DVD playback? TheaterTek is an excellent DVD player, especially for CRT folks. Of course, so is ZoomPlayer, etc... Its pretty easy to build a wife-proof HTPC for DVD playback. My wife doesn't even know why we have a computer in the theater, but she sure can play DVDs on it. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spearce,

Thanks for the reply, you've sold me!

guess I'll play around with powerstrip when I get home tonight.

As far as how I'm watching DVD's I find its a lot quicker and easier to run the source from an external DVD player, I might have another look at using the htpc for DVD's as well (just about to upgrade it to an xp 2500).

As far as "wife-proofing" the whole thing..... it maybe wife proof but not gf proof :D (god I hope she doesn't read this!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce

For starters, your CRT projector can be set to run at a multiple of 24 frames per second with PowerStrip by changing the vertical refresh rate to 48 Hz or 72 Hz. When viewing DVDs which were originally shot on film, its nice to be able to watch it without the 3:2 pulldown nonsense normally found on NTSC discs. For PAL discs you can also run at a better frequency for them (e.g. 50 Hz).
Is this true that you can vary the output frame rate of your projector? From what I have read on researching plasmas, that monitors normally have a native output refresh rate eg. 60Hz in the case of a plasma. This doesn’t change but you can vary the input signal to the monitor system such as 720p(50Hz) and 720(60Hz) but regardless of the input signal the output will be 720p(60Hz) because of the native refresh rate.

Plasma technology maybe completely different from a CRT projector?? If what I am saying however is true for a plasma, then what would be the use of powerstrip on a plasma since everything gets converted back to 60Hz anyway. Why not just set the PC to a 60Hz refresh rate for everything (let the PC do the frame rate conversions) because the plasma will revert every signal back to 60Hz anyway.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Plasma display is entirely different from a CRT projector. Nearly all CRT projectors used for home theater can run at almost any frequency between 40 Hz and 150 Hz vertical refresh, including something oddball such as 47.792 Hz (which is I believe the proper 48Hz frequency, we just round up when we talk about it).

So unlike the plasma, and any digital projector, the native refresh rate of the CRT is whatever the source is. CRTs also have no native resolution, they accept nearly any resolution from the source. (What's wicked cool is a CRT would accept say 200,000x1024 @ 72 Hz if you want. And it would do a pretty good job at drawing the 200,000 pixels in a line, but may not resolve it completely.)

For a plasma or any other digitial display which has a fixed refresh rate you are most likely better off setting to that refresh rate (which is sadly, 60 Hz here in the states). For a CRT, where one can set the refresh rate to the frame rate of a film movie, you can drop out the garbage frames inserted when the film was transferred to video, getting back the original rate - and thus smoothing out the motion quite nicely. Just another perk CRT users get. :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
FWIW, Sony PFM42 plasma is multisync (including HD support for 1080i/24psf) but maybe it is an exception.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.