AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pushing my NEC LT155 projector with a Radeon 7500. The native refresh rates for this XGA (1024x768) projector appear to be 59.93Hz veritcal and 48.23kHz horizontal...

I've determined that these rates are native as this is what is reported in the PJ's Menu/Help/Information menu. These values never change despite what I've chosen in Windows (60Hz, 72, 75, 85, etc).

Obviously, I run the projector in its native XGA rez and, up to this point have selected 60Hz in Windows display settings. Now, my question is...

Is there any benefit to using Powerstrip to push these PRECISE fractional refresh rates to the projector (or even better - use PS to generate a projector-specific .INF file containing these fractional refresh rates)?

-Jeff

·
Registered
645 Posts
There's no harm in generating a PJ-specific inf file, but it will make no difference either. Neither Windows nor your display driver will use the value you put in there. Only the maximum resolution is typically used, as a kind of ceiling on what's allowed in Display properties.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This thread is moot - I've discovered that these rates aren't "native" (I'm a bonehead). By using Powerstrip, I was able to set 72 or 85hz, for e.g., and the projector's Info menu stated the new rate. Weird thing is - I could have sworn I tried this same thing before simply using the Windows Display Properties, and did not see it reflected in the PJ's Info menu. I'll have to retest to be sure.

-Jeff

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Jmccloud:

___Just a bit OT but why are you using a straight 1024x768 at 48 – 85 Hz … You have a lot more choices from Ashley’s great display utility and the fractional refresh rates like 59.94 and 71.928 or as close as possible alone may provide a more judder free display across the big screen. I am also assuming you are using a 4:3 screen w/ a std. Windows DT resolution of 1024x768. Have you considered a custom mask or constant area with a 1024x576 as a starting point? Just a thought as you have a lot more choices in PowerStrips feature list than JUST selecting a std. Windows refresh rate …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xcel - thanks for the reply.

yes, I'm running a 4:3 XGA projector on a 4:3 screen. I watch both 4:3 and wide screen material, also - film and video (24 & 30 fps). Perhaps my thinking is flawed, but I would not want to run at any resolution other than the native of my projector as this would employ the projectors poor scaler. I have been running the PJ at 60Hz, as I could see no immediate difference to 72Hz (however - I did not extensively test this with film vs video)

-Jeff

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Jmccloud:

___To clarify, a 1024x576 resolution in a 1024x768 timing is what your FP would like to see. The FP is still displaying a 1024x768 timing but Windows (I mean PS ;)) is telling both the DT and overlay to display in a 16:9 AR. inside of that timing. Run your 1024x768 DT at whatever refresh (71.928 or as close as possible maybe ;)), lock the timings, and adjust the 768 to 576 on the active pixels – vertical side for the new 1024x576 resolution. Now insert your cursor anywhere else and apply. Reboot and you now have a 1024x576 custom T&R your FP will love … A few moments with PS, and you will have it all figured out.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
xcel - great instructions...thanks I'm still at work so I followed them faithfully using my 20" monitor to test :) The result was what I expected - "inactive" black bars at the top and bottom giving me a true 16:9 AR. Kinda neat, but...

Forgive my ignorance here...(jeez - I feel like a newbie ;) ) My question is what benefit does this serve me on my 4:3 screen? Will the "black bars" on DVD's be blacker (due to those rows of pixels being "inactive")?? (doesn't seem like that should be true)

Will the image in a software DVD player be scaled less aggresively? I'd still have the same width, and therfore by defintion the AR when viewing my DVD's which seems to be no benefit. Furthermore, when viewing 4:3 material at this rez, wouldn't I now I have black bars on all 4 sides? (because in addition to the black bars on top/bottom I now have from the custom rez, 4:3 would need to shrunken horizontally to maintain that AR) Sorry - this topic is new to me. I've never heard of someone doing this with 4:3 PJ and screen. Thanks for your input - it is much appreciated.

-Jeff

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Jmccloud:

___Lets say you want a constant area screen setup. You can mask the 4:3 screen to match any number of different AR’s including the std. 16:9, 1.85:1, 2.0:1, and 2.35:1 AR’s. For your gaming needs, you can remove the masking (pull it back in all dimensions) altogether and run 1024x768 directly at whatever refresh you want natively. In other words, no matter what AR the DVD or HDTV output is setup to display at, you can setup resolutions to keep the screen lit up ~ equal for the enjoyment of both you and your guests. You know how 2.35:1’s just seem to shrink into the screen with an overall darker appearance? With a constant area setup, you can have those 2.35:1’s take up a larger screen real estate to keep the image area ~ on par with your std. 16:9 DVD’s without distorting the original AR. If you were to setup a constant area solution, you will probably not only use 1024x576 but possibly a 1024x435, 1024x512, and 1024x553 to keep the constant area theme in tact. Anyway, black bars on a 4:3 screen can appear artificial whereas with a mask, you can really get the HT setup to look like a Theater yet still have that large 4:3 screen for gaming if you want …

___As for the image shrinking from left to right, you would adjust that out with your FP’s image sizing controls and save to a memory called 1024x576 for example if your FP has a multiple memories capability. Multiple AR’s can be setup with multiple FP memories to keep the constant area theme filling the screen as need be if your HD FP has them. Remember that a constant area setup is masked not just in the vertical but horizontal as well. Anyway, this is just another possible solution in the list of thousands of the way some setup there own HT’s. I picked up this neat trick from Bjoern Roy’s posts many months back …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
xcel - I must confess, a lot of what you recommend has me quite confused. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate your advice and will definitely try the things you've menitoned. However, this is my current situation...

I currently subscribe to the "fixed width, variable height" school of logic. Regardles of AR, I want the biggest image (when measured diagonally) that I can get away with.

I'm running a XGA 4:3 screen on a 100" (diag) 4:3 Stewart Firehawk. The limiting factor in choosing my screen size was primarily width. Based on room size, available throw distance, and PJ brightness, I decided on an 80" wide image. My intent has always been - no matter what I watch, I want it to be 80" wide. TV, Windows, and Games are the full height (60"). All other AR's display black bars of varying heights. I plan to eventually make a DIY masking system to help enhance my image by masking of these "gray bars".

From what I read of your suggestions (e.g. display the 2.35:1 at roughly the same area as a 16:9) this would require that I have a variable *width* setup, not variable *height* - would you say that's true.

Forgive me if I'm thoroughly confused :) Wait wait wait - I'm re-reading your post again and it seems the key phrase here is "constant area" - as in both variable height AND width? Unfortunately, 4-Way masking is not practical or affordable to me.

-Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.