Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I see that there are a lot of PowerStrip question threads out there, and I'm sorry to add to the fray but I can't seem to get it quite right.

First, my hardware: ATI 9000 Pro VGA -> Key Digital VTCA2 Transcoder -> Hitachi 51UWX20B widescreen TV.

I saw in another thread where someone with my same TV was using the settings: 880x496: 880, 104, 40, 104, 496, 25, 1, 41, 38070, 3088.

I've figured out which numbers go in which fields in Powerstrip except for the 38070 and 3088.

Where is PowerStrip do I put these, or is there a place where I can copy&paste that whole string and have PowerStrip put them where they need to go?

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Micah

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I managed to get a steady picture onto the tube using the settings above as a starting reference point.

New question though, DVD looks fine, myHTPC looks ok, desktop looks like hell.

My TV manual says "1280 line horizontal resolution." Am I right in guessing that means the native resolution is 1280x(something) and that I should get my best picture quality there?

c'mon people! Throw a dog a bone here!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
In what way does the desktop look bad? Are you expecting it to look as good as a computer monitor? Most consumer direct views and RPTVs leave a little to be desired when it comes to viewing Windows. Text looks a bit soft and you really notice any geometry problems.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hrm, well maybe I'm expecting too much then. I was hoping to see maybe not monitor quality, but at least clear text. It's certainly readable but not so pretty. Bummer, bummer, bummer.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I know what you mean. If you want to see a really good, big desktop, get a plasma that allows 1:1 pixel mapping.

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
My 1360 x 1024 100" desktop via DVI looks as good or better than my 21" monitor. I can stare at the Icons from inches and see pixel perfect.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Micah

Where is PowerStrip do I put these, or is there a place where I can copy&paste that whole string
I would also love to learn this. Powerstrip is a great utility but I see that there is functionality I don't yet know how to take advantage of.

Also I'm not convinced the refresh rate is really being set down to the 1/1000 of a Hz.

Paul

·
Registered
545 Posts
Micah,

You mentioned figuring out where all the numbers were supposed to be entered. Actually, that's not the best way to do it. Take the entire text from where you got the info (Karnis's guide?)...it should look like this in the post:

PowerStrip timing parameters: Desktop Widescreen 2

856x480p=856,87,48,121,480,28,1,54,37530,272

Generic timing details for 856x480:

HFP=87 HSW=48 HBP=121 kHz=34 VFP=28 VSW=1 VBP=54 Hz=60

+hsync +vsync

Highlight all of it and copy it to the clipboard. Go into powerstrip, to the "add custom resolution" page (or something like that), and cllick on the little clipboard on the bottom right side of the window. That will paste all the timing settings in all the right places. Apply it, you may need to restart. If you do, open up powerstrip and choose the new resolution with the slider.

The text probably won't look quite as good as a computer monitor, but it should look pretty darned good!

Tim
Quote:
Hey all,

I see that there are a lot of PowerStrip question threads out there, and I'm sorry to add to the fray but I can't seem to get it quite right.

First, my hardware: ATI 9000 Pro VGA -> Key Digital VTCA2 Transcoder -> Hitachi 51UWX20B widescreen TV.

I saw in another thread where someone with my same TV was using the settings: 880x496: 880, 104, 40, 104, 496, 25, 1, 41, 38070, 3088.

I've figured out which numbers go in which fields in Powerstrip except for the 38070 and 3088.

Where is PowerStrip do I put these, or is there a place where I can copy&paste that whole string and have PowerStrip put them where they need to go?

Micah

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mr. Pibb,

I figured there was a way to do a copy&paste but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how. I'll definitely give your way a whirl though.

You, my little angel in a bunny suit, may be just what I was hoping for. ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
You, my little angel in a bunny suit, may be just what I was hoping for. ;)
I've been called a lot of things, but I don't think I've ever been called a little angel. :D I hope it works for you!

Tim

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a sony KV-32HS500 HDTV with DVI in. Im connected thru the DVI input and with 640*480 I get a half inch underscan and if I switch to 720*480 I get a half inch overscan. Im new to powerstrip and when I try to adjust the screen size with powerstrip I end up out of sync. Anyone have any ideas what I could do?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Quote:
Hey all,

Micah
The number "38070" is the 'pixel clock' and goes on the 'custom resolutions' screen in the window called.....'pixel clock':)

The last number in the string '3088' refers to the polarity of the sync pulse and whether the signal is interlaced or progressive, also found on the 'custom resolutions' screen. Decodes following this information:

Courtesy of Ashley Saldanha:

It’s a bit field of flags and it varies from one card to another. The constants that you'd be concerned with are bits [3:1]

Bit 1 = Negative Horizontal Polarity

Bit 2 = Negative Vertical Polarity

Bit 3 = Interlaced

The others are irrelevant and, like I said, will vary from one chip to another.

So in your example, 3088 would be in binary 110000010000

Bit 1 is not set so Positive H. polarity

Bit 2 is not set so Positive V. polarity

Bit 3 is not set so progressive

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey all, just want to give a big thanks to everyone that helped.

Mr Pibb, that cut&paste tip was great. Made using Karnis' guide a lot easier to use.

One of the problems that I was having was vertical sliding of the picture (don't know what it's really called, but hopefully you get me). What I didn't realize was how each of the settings in powerstrip work. After a little bit more playing and fiddling I realized that tweaking the horizontal sync width is like adjusting the vertical hold.

For as complicated a program as PowerStrip is, it really oughta have some better documentation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.