AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerstrip & KD Transcoder -OR- ATI YPbPr Dongle for Toshiba 65HX81 HDTV?

363 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mkerdman 
#1 ·
Which is a better match for Toshiba 65HX81 HDTV?

Powerstrip & KD Transcoder

I know with Powerstrip & KD Transcoder you can play infinitely but at what cost to picture quality?

OR

ATI YPbPr Dongle "ati dongle"

Using the ATI YPbPr Dongle I cannot seem to get anything higher than 640X480 to work with the Toshiba 65HX81 HDTV without going into a virtual screen that overscans badly forcing the mouse to well off to the lkeft and right.

Can you use custom settings with the ATI AIW 8500 that will work with the ATI YPbPr Dongle and a Toshiba HDTV?

Murray Kerdman

See less See more
#2 ·
I hear that the ATI dongle is very limited on what resolutions it will pass. I use a AA transcoder with my Tosh 65HX81 running Powerstrip at 960x540p. I have some vertical overscan on the desktop but when I watch movies I correct the overscan with Zoomplayer.

#3 ·
Murray,

I have both the ATI HD component adapter and a KD transcoder. Each has its strenths and weaknesses. Theoretically, the pq should be better with the dongle although both are fine.

ATI dongle: Main advantage is that it can do an overlay with 1080i ouput. The most recent catalyst drivers do include optimized (reduced) resolutions for 1080i and 720p to compensate for overscan from your display. These are probably not going to be as perfect as customized resolutions although they do help and I find the 1776x1000 works well with my display. You do need to run DVD region free or similar utility when playing back any macrovision encoded disks as they other wise will not playback at >480p however this is almost too easy to setup. I have not been able to run custom resolutions with powerstrip although some people have claimed to. You will get the virtual (scrolling) desktop at resolutions other than 480p, 720 and 1080i. There is currently no 540p dongle support via the dongle which is unfortunate as this should be a good setting for many RPTV owners. I do not know what the native resolution for your display.

KD transcoder. Main advantage is maximal flexibility with resolutions. Unfortuanately, while you can do 1080i and other interlaced desktop resolutions with the most recent catalyst drivers, overlays will not display properly so you cannot playback DVDs or use Dscaler.

#4 ·
RTX,

Juan Said:

" I hear that the ATI dongle is very limited on what resolutions it will pass. I use a AA transcoder with my Tosh 65HX81 running Powerstrip at 960x540p. I have some vertical overscan on the desktop but when I watch movies I correct the overscan with Zoomplayer. "

I (Murray) have all of the items you mentioned right here:

ATI AIW 8500DV

ATI HD component adapter and a

KD transcoder

Powerstrip 3.29

My HDTV is a Toshiba 65HX81 which has native support for 480P, 540P & 1080i.

I want to set it up for either

(a) ONLY full time 1080i for WIN XP Desktop overlaying my accessDTV card and playing back DVD's scaled to 1080i using ATI HD component adapter; PREFERED

or

(b) BOTH less

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.