AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running the latest version of Powersrip (3.29) on my Radeon 7500 with the 6029 drivers. This is feeding a Marquee 9000 CRT PJ.

I'm trying to setup two 1920x1080 resolutions - one for film at 72Hz and another for Video at 60Hz. I've created the two display profiles but when I change the refresh rate on the first profile the second profile changes to the same value.

Is there a way for me to setup two profiles with the same resolution but different refresh rates?

Andy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't have anything to add, just thought I'd bump you to increase visibility.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Hi

I am in the same boat. Running 1440x720 at 47,952 Hz for film and 59,940 for Video. Each time I want to switch frequency I have to put in the refresh rate manually. The created shortcuts won't work. :(

CU

N.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Ashley.

I have a couple of questions though:

1. I'm trying to make the process automatic - I assume that you can't use this method to attach applications to these specific timings?

1b. Assuming the process is NOT automatic, can this method be used in some way to automate the process using Girder ?

2. Although I can work some of them out, I don't understand all of the values. Where do I find out what the parameters mean?

Andy.

·
Registered
645 Posts
1. You can attach specific resolutions to applications, and you can attach specific timings to resolutions, but you cannot switch from one *timing* to another in the context of an application profile... except by manually creating a shortcut with a set of command-line parameters, e.g.,

G:\\Projects\\PowerStrip3\\PStrip.exe /T:1280,64,160,224,1024,1,3,44,147886,3072 /P:WinDVD

In the above example, there is an Application profile named "WinDVD" and it is linked to a Display profile for 1280x1024. The command-line parameter find switches the timing for 1280x1024 and then loads the WinDVD which is configured to run at 1280x1024.

2. You don't really need to know what the values are: just open Advanced timing options and when the display is just right, click the little copy-to-clipboard speed button (to the immediate right of the cancel button).

If you're still curious, compare the numbers that were copied to the clipboard, and you'll immediately see how they relate to the numbers in Advanced timing options (active pixels, front porch, sync width, etc.). Only the last number will remain a mystery: its just a bitfield of flags and varies from one graphics card to another.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ashley,

Thank you for the info. I see you mention that the 1:1 resolution:refresh-rate is the same as that used in PowerDesk. Is there any reason why you could not make 1:n available ? I see other threads in this forum that are discussing the use of different refresh rates with the same resolution, depending on source material. I'm sure others would also benefit.

Andy.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand your dilemma. I've probably not considered everything but how about this: ?

1. You have a flag in the options panel (defaults to OFF) that will "Allow multiple Refresh Rates per Resolution". This will mean the default behaviour is as now, which would work for the gamers.

2. You save timings with the refresh-rate in the name to allow the above.

3. You have three options for the 'default' setting for a resolution:

a) Have a 'default' flag - this is probably the nicest but needs more coding.

b) Use the first timing found for a given resolution. I don't like this option.

c) Use the slowest refresh-rate - this is the 'safest' option.

Of course the 'default' issue is only a problem for those that set the "Allow multiple refresh-rates" flag. . . .

Actually there IS another option: You could have 'secondary-timings' (for want of a better expression). These are timings that don't ever get set unless it's through an application link or a hot-key (so it can be set via Girder or when the appropriate program starts). They could even appear in a different list so that the gamers don't get confused.

I think there ARE ways of doing this, but in any event you'll want the flag to allow 'advanced' timings, to keep the gamers and non-HTPC users happy.

Just my 0.02c, but I'm sure there would be huge value to the HT community, and CRT owners in particular.

Regards, Andy.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Andy - That's a very thoughtful suggestion, but for reasons I can't go into, it wouldn't work. :)

(Well: the second suggestion would work, but its not that different from the mechanism that's available now.)

Anyway: you can safely assume multiple timings per resolution would be very explicit in PowerStrip 4.0.

Should there be a 4.0, of course... :)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put me on the Beta Tester's list :)

(Should there BE a Beta Tester's list, of course...) LOL

Thanks for the input Ashley. I'll await developments.....

Andy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.