AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been trying to run my laptop off of my DVI input on 34 inch Sony CRT, but after weeks of trying, I gave up and decided to just run it on component. Currently I have it running at 1184x666. This is working out ok, but there is a bit of overscan all the way around, but enough to be annoying. Also there is a major flicker and the text isnt exactly as clear as I would like it. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions and how I could make this work better then it is. Below are the timings I am using in powerstrip. Thanks for the help, Brad.

PowerStrip timing parameters:

1184x666=1184,136,56,280,666,31,6,47,74520,1

Generic timing details for 1184x666:

HFP=136 HSW=56 HBP=280 kHz=45 VFP=31 VSW=6 VBP=47 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:

"1184x666" 74.520 1184 1320 1376 1656 666 697 703 750 +hsync +vsync

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not a lot of takers on my questions. I ran into a new problem that maybe somebody will have a little more advice on. I just noticed today that I can't any video to show up when playing any type of movie clip or DVD. I have tried Windows Media Play, Winamp and WinDVD. I can hear audio, but no picture. Any help would help a lot. I consider myself pretty computer savvy, but doing this kindof thing is new to me. I have now been messing with this for over a month and cant seem to get the quality I am looking for. As I said any tips or advice would be great. Thanks again, Brad.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Brad,

I am pretty new to this myself but will take a stab at it. If you are trying to display DVD copy protected material at that res you may not be seeing anything due to the Macrovision protection. You will need something like DVDidle or AnyDVD to remove the Macrovision and then you should be able to view the content. (gotta love the fact that MPAA wants to take away your right to view the DVD you purchased fair and square how you want to in your home)

The flicker seems to be an inherent problem with the interlaced resolutions and you hear a lot about it here but there doesn't appear to be much you can do about it except trying to experiment with large fonts and different fonts. Someone here said Comic Sans Serif was good I haven't tried it yet. At progressive resolutions there will be no flicker most likely, for example at 1776x1000i i get bad flicker but at 848x480p I get none at all. hope this helps....

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm going to be driving a large monitor using Powerstrip -- I'm going straight out the VGA external port.

I'm considering which laptop to buy, and I want to make sure that I can manipulate the signal going out of the exteral VGA port using Powerstrip.

In the Powerstrip FAQs, they specifically say they don't promise support, but suggest that some of the cards *might* work.

This will play VERY heavily into my decision on a laptop. Any of you Power Powerstrip users that can give me some insight?

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bradplus3
I had been trying to run my laptop off of my DVI input on 34 inch Sony CRT, but after weeks of trying, I gave up and decided to just run it on component. Currently I have it running at 1184x666.
I'm new at this too, but your resolution caught my eye.

Are you setting it to 666 to avoid overscan? If so, instead try a 720 resolution (from PS's custom resolutions) and adjust the front and back porches to adjust display position. I'm not an expert on this my any means, but I found if you go too far you can lose your picture entirely, so if you can't move your mouse and click the opposite button, you have to go back to your default resolution (Ctrl-Alt-S) meaning you should have your default resolution set to something that works.

No matter what you'll probably find that you have flicker on text at that resolution, so you'll probably just use it for video. I used a 480 resolution for text and 1000 for video.

·
Registered
325 Posts
OK. Anyone got any input on the Laptop Decision? I'm looking at an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo w/128MB RAM.

What are people's experiences Powerstripping their laptop external monitor?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.