AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to setup my HTPC to output 720p (1280x720) on my Sharp Z9000 DLP projector on the RGB input.

When just specifying 1280x720 I am not able to get an exact 60Hz refresh rate and also not a 16:9 output. I have fairly big vertical black bars on the screen. Is there a trick on how to set Powerstrip to output 720p recognized by the Sharp as 1280x720?? If anyone have managed to get this to work I would be very interested to know the exact settings in Powerstrip.

If it is not the setting in Powerstrip, perhaps my video card does not support 1280x720... but I would think Powerstrip would refuse the setting if the card did not support this resolution?

Any hint/suggestion would be very much appreciated...

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
What is the firmware version on your Sharp?

-Steve

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a late verision. It's Z902108 so the scaler bypass should work...

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
When you mean RGB, do you mean the computer VGA or the RGB H+V input?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul, it's a dedicated "computer RGB" (D-sub 15 pin connection). This is the only input that supposedly bypasses the internal scaler in the Z9000 projector.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again,

I would really like to hear from someone that is using the Sharp Z9000 with PowerStrip. I have not been able to get the projector recognize 1280x720, even though I know my graphics card support the resolution. The trick is to figure out the PS settings to make the signal recognizable as 1280x720 for the Sharp. I am hoping someone can share their PS settings for this projector so I can give it another try.

Thanks,

/Lars

·
Registered
117 Posts
Lars158: I can't believe that no one has responded to this! I own a Marantz which has the same DMD and it cannot achieve absolute pixel perfection at 1280, but it can get VERY close. I am told this is due to a 1% overscan inherent in the DMD engine. What I can get is 1280 pixels displayed, but one or two vertical bands of pixels that flicker at the average value of the two, as if the PJ was TRYING to scale them, but could not decide how. No pixels are lost or gained, and anuthing but single pixel wide unaliased text looks just fine. Here is my thread from the Digital PJ forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=131135

Here is a thread with some images including a fullscreen of Windows:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=132902

Here is an image of the ghosting. When viewed from more than three feet away, it is only visible as an imbalanced contrast in single pixel characters, and a vauge fuzziness on my little comb pixel counting pattern.

http://Micandles.com/AVS/A4noisebar.jpg

Note: The desktop pattern is 64 pixels wide, look at the third pattern from the left in the image to see the ghosting. When you realize these are individual pixels, you can tell it is not much worse than errors cause by shadow masking on direct view CRT monitors...

I am extremely interested to find out is the Sharp can get this close. If it can actually get perfect, that means that the 1% overscan is somewhere else on the Marantz.

Actually, I am dying to find out what ALL the HD1 PJs do when fed a 1280x720 Powerstrip signal.

Some other hints: Do not boot the computer while hooked to the PJ. All the different resolutions one after the other confuse the hell out of what is not really a multisynch projector. Sometimes I have to turn off the Marantz (which means waiting a hald hour) between experiments when it gets 'confused'.

Do not use the image shift (blue arrows) in Powerstrip. It throws off all the numbers and gives the PJ a migraine.

Uncheck the 'real time' box when you are adjusting things. If you want to change one number, you may actually have to change three or so. This is all stupid sounding when you are playing with true multi-synch monitors, but with these DLPs, they go all retard on you.

Beyond that, read the numbers I used and tell me what happens. I have a theory that the Sharp is seeing that 1280 coming, knows it will be overscanned by the DMD and so it jacks it down by a hideously large amount first. Maybe if you try feeding it fewer pixels it won't do it?

Please struggle through this and see what can be done!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lars,

Have you tried going into the Sharp Menu -> Fine Sync -> Special Nodes

Mine shows 4 modes and 1280 X 720 is one of the modes. When I select that one it works perfectly.

Joe

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Joe,

which version of the firmware do you have ?? I don't think I have this option on the menu... I will double check tonight though.

Thanks, /Lars

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a Sharp 9000 JP version and I am able to get exact 60Hz refresh rate using PS and ATI refresher fix HERE: http://www.radeon2.ru/refreshfix_eng.html.

With this program I have set my HTPC ATI 8500 to 1280 x 720 @60 Hz. I have tested using Mark Rejhon test pattern. PS does give you more control but this works just fine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joe, I checked my menu tonight and you are correct, there is a "special modes" field. However, it is not select-able (it's not highlighted) on my projector in RGB mode - and no other modes either. Did you say you also have firmware Z902108? If so I am wondering if there is a trick to get this option highlighted in the menu? Any ideas??

ICvdo, thanks for the tip on the Radeon. I have the Nvidia GForce2 MX400 (ASUS V7100) at the moment, so the patch will not do any good. I have installed the latest version of the NVidia driver but no luck so far. I also have the latest version of PowerStrip. If nothing else works I may have to buy a Radeon to see if that takes care of the problem.

FlatusM, I appreciate all the information about setting up the Marantz. Very interesting reading. I have tried the settings you proposed (those are actually the standard settings available for 1280x720 HDTV part of the latest PS release), but no luck so far. I still get thick black vertical bars... I will try to play around some more tonight, but I am starting to think there is something wrong with my PJ or the graphics card :-(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lars, get the latest version of powerstrip, go into display profiles/ configure/ custom resolutions and pick 1280 x 720p (LCD: 16:9). Also check that aspect ratio is set to 16:9. Then hit auto sync on your Sharp remote. This should set it correctly. If you are still having problems I could post a pic of my PS setting.

You can also go into your Sharp menu and change the phase to help it sync better. I assume you are using Mark R test pattern: http://www.marky.com/main/index.html

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YES !!

I finally figured out how to get this to work with your help. The trick was to turn off the auto sync. Once the auto sync was set to "off" the "special modes" option was highlighted where I now could select 1280x720. With this setting and the other tricks suggested my screen is now AWESOME. I can not believe how crisp and sharp the picture is... filling out the complete 16:9 screen. My next step will now be to load the test pattern to see how perfect the picture is, but either way I am now very happy with the picture from my HTPC. I think it's pixel perfect. - at least to my eye!

Thanks again, /Lars

Plano, TX

:D :D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.