Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need a bit of help with timings to drive a 16:9 Princeton Graphics AF3.0HD monitor.

I'd like to bump the refresh rate to 72 Hz At 960X540 so I can work on the Windows desktop in widescreen without getting a headache.

The graphics adapter (Elsa GeForce @ GTS) default timings for 960 X 540 @ 60 Hz refresh work fine - I used powerstrip 3.0 to set this custom resolution.

Using Powerstrip to brute-force change the vertical refresh rate from 60 Hz to to 72 Hz without screwing up any of the other settings that I don't understand does "work"... sort of. The monitor and the graphics card accept this T&R without complaining, but the image is "squished" on the left and right sides of the screen. It looks similar to a 16:9 image viewed on a 4:3 screen, except that the "tall & skinny" effect only affects the left and right boundaries of the screen.

Are there other parameters in Powerstrip I can play with to alleviate this "squished at the sides, normal in the center" effect?

TIA,

-Todd

·
Banned
455 Posts
Hey Todd,

I couldn't neglect your post; my AF3.0 is right next to my work PC. Good to see you guys are finally getting the room going!

I was able to duplicate what you're experiencing. 960x540 looks great at 60Hz, but as you go to 72Hz, the edges get squeezed in and bright, like the electrons are all being squeezed together at the edges. I think this has to do with horizontal retrace timings being too fast for the AF3.0 to handle, but I am not sure.

You'll need to use PS3 to do this. Go in and choose the HDTV standard 960x540 resolution under custom timings. Then enter in the following values under horizontal geometry:

Active 960

Front 112

Sync Width 120

Back 64

Total should be 1256, scan rate should be 40.557kHz.

Vertical geometry:

refresh rate 72.036Hz

Active 540

Front 10

Sync Width 1

Back 12

Total should be 563 lines.

This results in a better looking image, although still slightly squeezed at the sides. Go into the AF3.0 menu, choose 1.78 HDTV aspect, and then go into the Geometry menu to size the image to fill the screen. Hope this helps, and if anyone has other suggestions for timings or to alleviate this problem, I'd like to hear them as well.

Best,

Pat

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Todd and Pat,

What inputs are you using? The 15-pin VGA or the RGBHV?

Kei Clark

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Pat. These settings are better, though as you say there is room for improvement. I'll trade flicker for "slightly squished" any day.

Kei, I'm using the 15-pin VGA input.

mchen - 60 hz is fine for video, but I'm also using this machine for regular PC applications, and 60 Hz refresh causes a very visible and annoying flicker.

-Todd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.