Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I hope you guys can help to figure out my Powerstrip problem. I just setup a HTPC and loaded with Powerstrip 3.45 with custom resolution for my Sony HS10 running 1368x768 (timing from this forum). However, 1.1 mapping ratio can only be able to archived by manually uninstall the plug &Play monitor driver in control panel, hardware, and than I can go to display properties to select 1368x768 res. Everytime I reboot the HTPC, powerstrip won't start up right away and after 10 seconds it then pops up. I need to click ok and repeat the above steps in control panel to get 1:1 mapping.

Is this normal to use powerstrip ? It feels like due to the delay of starting of powerstrip, XP plug and play detects the regular display 1024x768 and use this res during startup. If somehow I can get powerstrip start as soon as XP starts or put powerstrip running as a service, XP will detect 1368x768 res and use it as native resolution.

Can you guys HTPC experienced users help ??

Many thanks in advance..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great question, since I'm seeing the same thing. I just started playing with Powerstrip 3.45 on XP SP1 in anticipation of connecting up to my HDTV. So far, I've built a quick application config to launch with Zoomplayer (which works fine), but on the initial boot into XP, PS takes FOREVER to load and holds the system hostage. For example, right after boot and while PS is loading, if I click on the start button and try to go to control panel, nothing happens for the 8-10 seconds it takes for PS to load - THEN the control panel will open.

I have jaLCDs loading at boot to control my VFD display and that's about it. Any thoughts on the delay? I have the demo version of PS, not a licensed copy, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anybody verify the unregistered version of the powerstrip will cause delay during the OS boot up ? This is my second HTPC that has this problem which I cannot resolve. Please advise....

Many thanks..

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
There are no limits, no hidden features, and no expiration to the shareware version of PowerStrip.

The only difference between the registered and unregistered version is that the tip-of-the-day on startup can be disabled if PowerStrip is registered, and only users with write privileges to the Windows registry can run an unregistered copy of PowerStrip - the latter being a Windows, rather than a PowerStrip, restriction.

If unregistered, the amount of time the tip-of-the-day remains on screen is determined by the number of times PowerStrip has been run. The first 100 times you run it, the delay is fixed at 5 seconds. After that, it grows by about 250 milliseconds each time you start the program.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Mr. B, I had been searching on Entech's FAQ and found that as well.

I went into MSConfig and made sure jaLCDs and Powerstrip were the only things enabled at startup, then rebooted. I timed the delay at about a minute before the Powerstrip icon appears in the toolbar.

If I do a three-finger salute and pull up the Task Manager, PSTRIP.EXE does show up as a process running. Usually (but not always), if I click on the WinXP 'Start' button before the Powerstrip icon appears, the 'Start' button will stay pressed in on the screen and nothing happens. If I end the PSTRIP process during this time, whatever commands I've issued will jump to life (control panel, programs, etc.).

If I thought buying the registered copy would resolve this, I would, but it sounds like I'm going to have the exact same problem (with the exception of the Tip of the Day).

I'm running an AMD 2500+ on an ABIT NF7 mobo, 1GB of RAM, Radeon 9200SE with Cat 3.7, WinXP SP1 with all updates, DX9.0b, and PS 3.45 trial.

There are some 'disable' options for Powerstrip, such as 'Disable DirectX check' or something like that - could this be causing the delay?

Thanks for any help/advice/assistance!

Jason

·
Registered
510 Posts
Why do you want powerstrip to run everytime windows does? I used it to define my Sammy DLP's resolution, let the PC reboot and now the resolution is automatically availble by a single left click on the ATI icon. Worked this way on both my new Radeon 9600 and my old 7200 LE.

I thought all PS did was to provide all the "timings" needed by the Catalyst video driver. After that, you only have to run it to define another resolution. If you leave the Video card on, say, 1280 X 720 when you shut down, it should reboot into that same res.

Have I been doing something wrong all this time? Does PS need to load with Windows?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Rlundy,

Just want to get this stright, you are running your customer resolution at 1280x720 each time restarting you XP without loading powerstrip first ? Can you check in your display properties, do you see 2 different monitor (1 and 2) with resolution 1024x768 and 1280x720 ?

In my case, I have 2 monitor defined 1 is 1024x768 and 2 is 1368x768. Everytime after reboot, it just use 1024x768 and I have to uninstalled this to force into the second display definition. If register PS will get rid of my problem I would certainly do so.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Many thanks again ...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Actually, I've been using a VGA swtich box until I got the 9600 with DVI and VGA outputs. My DVI to VGA converter dongle arrived today-so I'll be ditching the VGA converter. I'm understanding you problem a bit better now-monitor 2 (projector) won't hold its defined resolution.

You may want to surf over to the "Digital Projectors under $5000 " room on this forum. I remember lots of threads about get 1:1 pixel mapping between HTPC and an HS10. Seems like its a problem with the Sony-which tells the video card it supports only a certain (lower) resolution.

Good luck-some long threads on the subject.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.