AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having major problem w/ PowerVCRII 3.0 on my newly acquired WinTV/Radio w/ remote card.

First off, when using PowerVCR for TV watching, after a lot of channel flipping, I would get blanked out or frozen picture w/ the sound of TV still going... Normally I have to terminate PowerVCR altogether, fire up WinTV2000 which is an excellent program that comes w/ my TV card to get the TV picture back. I can go back to PowerVCR for TV viewing but gotta go easy on that channel switch...

More importantly, when I use PowerVCR for software MPEG2 recording, I notice the program will generate MPEG file that contains roughly 15 min of recording and abt. 600MB in size. When I tried on-the-spot recording, again after a while, I will get frozen picture w/ on-going sound. Among the series of MPEG file, ONLY the first one playable via windows media player or PowerVCR itself....

I do see a few people reporting success w/ this software so I would appreciate if your expert here can she some light. Please see my system spec. in my signature...

Tx.

·
Registered
317 Posts
What operating system are you using? Make sure you have the WDM Drivers for teh WinTV.

I have that exact same setup (WinTV w/ Radio & PowerVCR) on windows 2k on an Athlon 750 & it works perfect.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm running WinXP (and the same soft/hardware combo as you) and have been having problems also. I dont change channels as my input comes from a digital cable box. I do find that when I record TV PowerVCR splits it into ~600 MB files. This is a pain, anyone know a fix?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shdymg: I'm running win 2000 pro sp2. latest wdm driver from Hauppauge 3.11 and PowerVCR II 3.0... Would LOVE to know your exact setup

Mooneyass: Splitting the recording into separate files makes sense as it's highly unlikely that you would have THAT MUCH memory space to cache in all the video data so one way or the other once the memory space is filled up, you'll need to either swap it out or save it onto the HD...

I would speculate if you double your ram, you may be able to save into files of larger size hence smaller counts of files... However, I can imagine that 600MB limit might be imposed for sake of CD rom storage though...

What kind of problem are you encountering?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I dont understand why PowerVCR would split the files. Who in their right mind would try to put 8000 kb/sec video on a CD? Just doesnt make sence. You could put like 10 minutes per CD.... Since XP can handle huge file sizes I would expect it to maintain only 1 file.

I have 120GB of storage free, a few gigs per file prior to compression is a non-issue.

Anyone know a fix?

alecela

I know a while ago there was an issue brought up with regards to signatures. Putting all your hardware and software in your signiture messes up the search function.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I haven't tried this myself, but you can override this 600MB file segmentation in the registry.

(HKCU/HKLM??)\\Software\\Cyberlink\\PowerVCR II\\MaxRecSizeMB

Set it to whatever size you want. 4096MB (4GB) ought to cover it.

I suspect Cyberlink did this so the files will be easier to edit. You can get fine grain seek control if you only have files 600MB.

·
Registered
317 Posts
AMD Athlon 750

MSI KST7Apro

512MD SDRAM

4gb HD ---> I use my networked 80gig to store files.

Geforce2 MX

SB Live 5.1

Samsung DVD-Rom

WinTV 401

PowerVCR III Deluxe

Windows2000 SP2

I can channel surf with WinTV Program or PowerVCR, and recording is no problem either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im using the trial power vcr and it is great (standard win tv card here) , no problems here on win xp and recording and tuning is very easy.

The picture quality is a lot better than on wintv2000 imo with noise reduction evident.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone here knows if the remote in the Hauppauge WinTV 401, is the same remote as the one in the WinTV 495 (Theater card)?

Much appreciated for the info.

Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
yes it is (i used to have the theater 495, now have the 401)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I looked at the 495 and the 401 but there's no plug for the 401 so I can put the IR cable in. Does the newer model has this plug?

Hey Shadymg,

Why did you change from the 495 to the 401?

Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
 http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm#pci

You'll see that both the 401 & the 495 have remotes, ur prolly unable to see the plug because it is very small and on the edge of one of the sides.

I didn't exactly switch. I had the Theater, then sold it when i bought my TV, then bought the 401 (which is cheaper anyways) for DVR purposes. The only difference i can remember is you can hook it up to Dolby Surround since it has RCA Plugs. I never did this however so i can't comment on sound quality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.