AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think DirecTV is compromising HDNet's quality with compression or something. Seems the artifacting (in reds and low contrast flesh tones) comes and goes. In fact I watched a few of the demo loops on HDNet last night and they looked real clean, yet earlier in the day the same ones were artifact laden.

On HBO-HD, Saturday night's late showing of "On Deadly Ground" started out looking absolutely stunning ... it even was in OAR. Then about 10 minutes in it went to the normal zoomed mode which HBO does and also the artifacting in the flesh tones started showing up.

The demo loop with the HDNet girl at the Denver zoo looked fantastic late Saturday night, yet earlier in the day I noticed the artifacting in the flesh tones on her in the same shots. Look real closely along her hairline and under her chin in the shadows. When the artifacts are present you will see "grainy" red and green "gunk" in these areas.

Maybe my SAT-HD100 and KP-51HW40 is just more sensitive and brings out these defects ... But I can say that I did NOT observe any at all during the FL/FSU game on CBS. And after 2 weeks of having this setup I've seen them come and go on the SAME HDNet material.

Bob

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.