AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I set up a Barco 808s following the menu instructions which I'm told they have, how close in picture quality to a professional quality setup would I get? I'm an engineer (mechanical) but have no CRT setup experience.

What percentage of the setup effort is geometry (mechanical and electrical adjustments) vs. color/grayscale adjustments? Is it feasible to do grayscale myself if I can rent the proper color analyzer? Or since it's likely that it only needs to be done once, does it make more sense to hire that part out (my time is worth something, at least to me)?

My understanding is that the 808 and 808s are quite different internally. Does that include the ease of setup, and if so, does that mean a novice will attain a smaller percentage of maximium attainable PQ, or just that it takes longer?

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Well, Noah. You are an engineer. So, you will have no problem setting up the projector. Then, you will see the PQ that you get, and will understand that you can get MORE...with a bit of work. work-reward. Work-Reward. Very Pavlovian. So, you WILL tweak the PJ, even after it is perfect,and continue to receive the benefit of a better image. the image quality that you get from using the menu system,and common sense will be far above in quality than that of the 'other options' you have considered, and dismissed.

So, IF the PJ in question has been properly calibrated within it's internal settings, then all will be fine. No problemo.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm a simple programmer, but I was able to do the setup my self :)

The Barco is pretty straightforward. You really need the installation manual however. It gives you the step by step procedures for the mechanical setup. You have to have that right before proceeding with the electronic settings.

It took a little trial and error, but the geometry/convergence/focus etc are all quite good now. Setting the grayscale however was a different matter, since it requires instruments that I don't have. I had that set by Chuck Williams, ISF guy.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
We had Robert Wood's 808s producing a sharp picture picture in about 2 hours, table mount, that was the first time either of us had ever seen a Barco.

Use of TAW's rental colorimeter made Grayscale cal very easy on my NEC...a couple guys on this forum are building an 8 element colorimeter (sees more like our eyes do) I'm not sure if it's done yet, but perhaps they'll be renting one of those units also.

·
Premium Member
25,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks for the encouragement.

I have no doubt I can follow the steps, I was wondering what additional performance could be extracted by an experienced calibrator who knows tricks of the trade, knows aboutinteractions between setup steps, etc.

Is the 808 as straightforward as the 808s?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.