AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was staring at the costco vzio m701d, and to me seems to look like one of those cheap LCD screens, move a little offcenter and contrast drops, colors change... plus the reflections are much more than the samsung 65 even the sharp 70

i have a 55 vizio, but i dont wanna lug the 70 inch beast home to drag it right back...

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls  /t/1521757/pq-vizio#post_24460140

i was staring at the costco vzio m701d, and to me seems to look like one of those cheap LCD screens, move a little offcenter and contrast drops, colors change... plus the reflections are much more than the samsung 65 even the sharp 70

i have a 55 vizio, but i dont wanna lug the 70 inch beast home to drag it right back...

I saw a Sony hanging in Best Buy's store looking just the same way. The reason is these big box stores lighting is harsh on pq perception especially if the particular TV is hanging in a spot that tends to trigger more reflections and such than the TV across from it or hanging at a different angle.

Ever go into Walmart and look at TVs that you know are great but look like crap because they have it hanging on the second level and are also feeding it an SD or noisy HD signal? Walmart is very bad for judging TV's.

So, I never judge them at the store. I read the reviews from owners and trusted professionals. Here's another tip from an M owner, the Vizios are very good at holding their pq at angles, look at the spec for the Ms, they have very high viewing angles and the Sharps are consistently reviewed poorly for losing color and pq at only 25 degrees off center. So judging TVs based on where a store happened to hang it will short change you on making an educated judgment.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls  /t/1521757/pq-vizio#post_24460140

Bottom Line if you cannot audition in the store making needed adjustments to tweak fully understanding the viewing environ in your HT space so as to make a purchase decision - DON'T take it home without the panel proving itself first.

Understand that lighting, angles and spatial conditions in-store are unlikely to replicate the same in your home. With proper adjustments you should only make a decision when the PQ directs you to your wallet with no reservations in doing so and until that happens don't commit to a giant heavy panel without return rights. I don't suggest doing this at Walmart because they virtually have no high end quality panels on that wall so your comparing bottom of the barrel budget panels and the staff are lacking in AV training from what I've seen because nearly everything is inferior and low end on that wall.

Consider your lighting and reflections - I have a 60D8000 in our Den that has no sun or reflection issues and it looks awesome whereas I have a 65F8000 in my living room HT with four tall windowed doorwalls south with sun streaming daily here in FL and I must deal with those reflections. The F8000 is equal or better but I must deal with huge challenges from daytime and I cannot cover up the windows blocking the lake view with gardens and fountain/waterfalls out those windows. This is the perfect case scenario for a large matte screen like I used to have and I had no reflections but I hear the Sharp 70UHD1 is matte and I may hold out and consider it's replacement this fall or buy one on clearance then to rid this room of the reflections,

Know your HT environ and let the PQ talk to your eyes/wallet!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts