AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that most progressive scan DVD player comparisons are stuck on the progressive accuracy and don't pay enough attention to the general picture quality. I have had 5 progressive scan players (listed below) and only one of them had blow me away picture quality (Panasonic RP91).

Panasonic RP56

Panasonic RP82

Panasonic RP91

Toshiba SD5109

Toshiba SD6200

iScan Plus v.2 (not a player, but is a great way to test a players built in ability vs a pretty flawless video processor)

I have a Toshiba TW40X81 ISF calibrated by Robert Busch (sp?) and I use pretty damn good component cables from no other than "Better Cables". I am also using an Proscan HDTV receiver, so I know what good PQ should look like.

The Panasonic RP56 and RP82 are great deinterlacers. They have almost no motion artifacts associated with poor deinterlacers, but they both lack the "WOW!!" PQ I get with the RP91 which gets no respect for being a contender with the new progressive scan players.

The only real difference in the specs has to do with the 12bit DAC vs the 10bit DAC, but DVDs are all 8bit medium, so what else is there?

I have heard that the newer Denon and Panasonic players are supposed to be better, but what aspect of the players are actually better? I think that deinterlacing properly is important, but I have a perfect eye and think that PQ (ie resolution, sharpness, color correctness) is just as important.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The Denon 1600 and Panny RP81 (if these are the ones you are referring to) have a higher quality Mpeg2 decoder than the other players you mentioned. When folks are referring to these players, I believe most are referring to the excellent picture quality due to their flat video response and color saturations, compared to the other players on your list.

Not to discount the RP91 though, as I think it does deliver an excellent picture quality and unprecedented scaling capability (which neither the RP81 and denon offers).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.