AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new pre-amp. This is what I currently have. I am thinking about going Marantz. Does anyone have any experience with this change? The reason I want to upgrade is for clarity. Watching some movies, it seems like I am missing out on realism. I don't have a big interest in music, just movies. I also wouldn't rule out a receiver as a pre-pro either. I am using 7.1 now, but might go to 9.1 if it is worth it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro /forum/post/19624483

I am in the market for a new pre-amp. This is what I currently have. I am thinking about going Marantz. Does anyone have any experience with this change? The reason I want to upgrade is for clarity. Watching some movies, it seems like I am missing out on realism. I don't have a big interest in music, just movies. I also wouldn't rule out a receiver as a pre-pro either. I am using 7.1 now, but might go to 9.1 if it is worth it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

kkpro,

Although I do not have any experience with Marantz I have owned the 885 and currently own the 886. I do not experience a loss of clarity with 886 for HT use which is essentially the same as the 885. Do you use Audyssey? If you do have you done a multi position mic calibration? What do you have for speakers? Maybe you could try moving your speakers around if at all possible. I have found if my LCR speakers are too close to my front wall the soundstage and imaging is somewhat reduced.

It would be unfortunate if you bought the Marantz and found the issue with clarity was due to your speakers, speaker placement or possibly the setup/calibration of the 885.

Bill

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had the Audissey Pro calibration done. My speakers are Definitive Technology 7001's and CLR3000 center. I have plenty of bass, would just like some subtle details to come out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.