AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AVS Gurus,

I currently have a modest HT setup in my basement. I am looking to tackle some problems with my current setup by investing in some new components, but at this first phase, I'd like to get some ideas for how to construct/design/prepare the room and maybe some hints towards making a seamless, clean room for HT viewing. I'm not looking to build a "movie theater" room with plush chairs and scone lighting; I am looking more for a built-in feel where speakers are housed in wooden cabinets and acoustic panels give the room better sound dynamics and also prevent vibration through our townhome.

Please take a look at the below topics; I'd love to read your feedback.

Enclosures for Surround Sound Speakers:

I have an idea for enclosing some Polk surround speakers in a wooden cabinet that is fastened to the wall. Does anyone know of any vendors that sell these kinds of cabinets, or would you recommend just building one? Or, is this not a good idea? Maybe there are some surround speakers that themselves give the "cabinet look" without any extra gear?

Running Wires:

Do you all recommend fishing wire? If so, do you punch a hole just in the right places of the drywall and then fish the wire, or do you remove entire blocks at a time and then just reapply the drywall later? Does anyone use wood paneling or chair rails to hide speaker wires?

Acoustic Panels:

I feel that these would be a cool design theme but also help prevent bass reverberation throughout our house, which can be quite severe at times (I guess our home has weak framing, I dunno). Would it make sense to put panels behind the front speakers in order to 'cushion' the sound? If so, what kind of panels would you all recommend?

HT Design/Tips & Tricks Book:

I can't really find a book that provides both design ideas/themes along with some practical HT setup advice; they all seem to be either written for the novice segment or the expert, custom wiring group of engineers. Can anyone recommend a really stellar book that fits what I am looking for?

Wall Paint:

Are certain paints better for sound reproduction? I've read about some different fabrics and wall material that can be used for this purpose; what are some common, practical recommendations?

Thank you very much for any insight and/or suggestions that you can provide.

In case it helps, here is my current setup.

- 46" Samsung DLP (hoping to upgrade in the near future)

- 5.1 surround sound, combination of Sony fronts, Polk surround and center channels

- Okyno TX-607 amp/receiver

- Oppo up-scaling DVD player

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolicious /forum/post/18182057

AVS Gurus,

I currently have a modest HT setup in my basement. I am looking to tackle some problems with my current setup by investing in some new components, but at this first phase, I'd like to get some ideas for how to construct/design/prepare the room and maybe some hints towards making a seamless, clean room for HT viewing. I'm not looking to build a "movie theater" room with plush chairs and scone lighting; I am looking more for a built-in feel where speakers are housed in wooden cabinets and acoustic panels give the room better sound dynamics and also prevent vibration through our townhome.

Please take a look at the below topics; I'd love to read your feedback.

Enclosures for Surround Sound Speakers:

I have an idea for enclosing some Polk surround speakers in a wooden cabinet that is fastened to the wall. Does anyone know of any vendors that sell these kinds of cabinets, or would you recommend just building one? Or, is this not a good idea? Maybe there are some surround speakers that themselves give the "cabinet look" without any extra gear?

Running Wires:

Do you all recommend fishing wire? If so, do you punch a hole just in the right places of the drywall and then fish the wire, or do you remove entire blocks at a time and then just reapply the drywall later? Does anyone use wood paneling or chair rails to hide speaker wires?

Acoustic Panels:

I feel that these would be a cool design theme but also help prevent bass reverberation throughout our house, which can be quite severe at times (I guess our home has weak framing, I dunno). Would it make sense to put panels behind the front speakers in order to 'cushion' the sound? If so, what kind of panels would you all recommend?

HT Design/Tips & Tricks Book:

I can't really find a book that provides both design ideas/themes along with some practical HT setup advice; they all seem to be either written for the novice segment or the expert, custom wiring group of engineers. Can anyone recommend a really stellar book that fits what I am looking for?

Wall Paint:

Are certain paints better for sound reproduction? I've read about some different fabrics and wall material that can be used for this purpose; what are some common, practical recommendations?

Thank you very much for any insight and/or suggestions that you can provide.

In case it helps, here is my current setup.

- 46" Samsung DLP (hoping to upgrade in the near future)

- 5.1 surround sound, combination of Sony fronts, Polk surround and center channels

- Okyno TX-607 amp/receiver

- Oppo up-scaling DVD player

I have never heard of putting surround speakers in a cabinet. You can buy in walls and put them in your drywall. A lot of people build columns and hide them in there. Painting in walls will help them be less noticeable if that's what you're afraid of.

You can hide the wires however you want. Hide it in baseboard, chair rail, under carpet, or fish them through the wall. Whatever way makes the most sense to you. If they can be fished through the wall I would personally do that.

Acoustic panels are only meant to help your rooms acoustics and not to prevent the bass from rattling your entire house. That is called sound isolation which is a whole other topic in itself. If you need to keep the bass down at certain times you might want to look into investing in bass shakers. Its not the same feel as bass, but it allow you to dial down your sub and you still get the feeling.

I dont see a need for a book when there is an endless supply of information here. I have sent pm's to many members on this site about their builds and every single one of them has been really helpful answering my questions. This site is by far the best group of people I visit, and I am on man forums. If you really want a book someone might chime in with one they recommend.

I dont see how paint can help with your acoustics. Acoustic panels, or putting 1" rigid fiberglass on your walls covered in fabric will help. Thats another big discussion in itself that I wont be able to offer much insight. Once my room is finished im going to dive into that before I build my panels.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts