AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been looking at speakers and obviously there are two types, passive and active. I am looking at a set of active speakers so I don't want an AMP so to speak. Is there any Pre Amps that anyone could recommend that will have quality and 1080p ect, but not have any kind of amp intergrated into it? TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Receivers generally make cheaper pre amps. Power speakers are nice, but I don't read about many people using them for AV. I have some I have used for music production, but I don't think they are amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave /forum/post/16984718


Ok, I have been looking at speakers and obviously there are two types, passive and active. I am looking at a set of active speakers so I don't want an AMP so to speak. Is there any Pre Amps that anyone could recommend that will have quality and 1080p ect, but not have any kind of amp intergrated into it? TIA

This is certainly a valid approach and there are a fair number of preamp/processors (AVR w/o amps) that will suit. However, I have to ask you why you made the decision to go with active speakers. Was it based on some principle or are there specific speakers that appeal to you?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/16984784


This is certainly a valid approach and there are a fair number of preamp/processors (AVR w/o amps) that will suit. However, I have to ask you why you made the decision to go with active speakers. Was it based on some principle or are there specific speakers that appeal to you?

I am looking at Mark Seatons HT speakers and all his speakers are active, that is the main reason why I am asking this. I am still researching to see if I can do what I want with my HT. I am new to all this, eg I don't know what the difference between a reciever and a Pre-amp, other than the fact that the reciever is generally used for music.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,788 Posts
No, that is not the difference. A preamp/processor is an A/V receiver without the amps. Simple as that. They range in cost from the refurbished Onkyos at $1K (a steal) up as far as you can imagine. In order to choose, you need to define your needs some more.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/16985035


No, that is not the difference. A preamp/processor is an A/V receiver without the amps. Simple as that. They range in cost from the refurbished Onkyos at $1K (a steal) up as far as you can imagine. In order to choose, you need to define your needs some more.

Ok, basically I want an amp that the Denon AVP-A1HD AV amp can do, or something similar. Obviously HT is 100% the purpose, so I want all the features that would make for great viewing with great surrond sound sound.

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3922.asp
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/16985193


Anthem AVM50v or D2v ?


You didn't mention a price range

Anything up to and around $5K should get me a nice one I should think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
Not sure there are really any other best choices then either the anthem products or the Denon AVP - they are both at the top of the heap in features and sound quality at this point and time.


Room correction is key here and a huge benefit.

Anthems ARC is phenomenal as is SQ.


Denons are really and truly feature rich if that's your thing.


Anthems are simple and straight forward with not alot of frills, but truly front running with their abilities. Pretty much the best of the best DACs and processing power.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds /forum/post/16985260


I can't see any reason to spend more than the $1K on the Onkyo.

Do you have any model numbers for recomended Onkyo's, I can obviously get them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/16985370


Not sure there are really any other best choices then either the anthem products or the Denon AVP - they are both at the top of the heap in features and sound quality at this point and time.


Room correction is key here and a huge benefit.

Anthems ARC is phenomenal as is SQ.


Denons are really and truly feature rich if that's your thing.


Anthems are simple and straight forward with not alot of frills, but truly front running with their abilities. Pretty much the best of the best DACs and processing power.

Just checked a few places, and the Anthems are not sold in Japan, so that is out of the question.


I like the Denon, but I was figuring that without the Amp I should be able to get a better quality pre-anp for the same money???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
As receivers are more mass market than pre pros, you can often find a receiver which does pretty much the same thing as a more expensive pre pro. Some argue that the sound of pre pros justifies the extra cost. I don't want to touch that debate - you can decide for yourself if that's true.


While manufacturers could just rip the amp section out of some of their receiver models, and market it as a pre pro and save you money, they generally don't. Likely because the people who are spending at budget to mid receiver pricing don't want a pre pro. Which is sad, because supposedly the large transformer and heat sinks and such are a good chunk of the cost of a receiver. They could probably make a really nice pre pro for $400 or less, loaded with features too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16984765


Receivers generally make cheaper pre amps. Power speakers are nice, but I don't read about many people using them for AV. I have some I have used for music production, but I don't think they are amazing.

You need to do a little more research because some of the hottest brands (online...we are not talking Best Buy here
) and the best sounding speakers for HT are powered/active designs (Ie. Mark Seaton and his Catalysts or Tom Danley and his SH-100s). JBLs are also powered, they are all high end Home Theater speakers that are unmatched by the any of the common speakers talked about daily.


I have active designs myself but I didnt put plate amps on the speakers, I could have though. My next build will have plate amps and DSPs on each speaker. Active crossovers give us incredible flexibility in the designs vs passive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
I apoogize if I implied anything. All I meant was that I was not impressed with MY powered speakers. I have no doubt there are better sounding units.


I heard a Mackie once and really liked it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16985507


You need to do a little more research because some of the hottest brands (online...we are not talking Best Buy here
) and the best sounding speakers for HT are powered/active designs (Ie. Mark Seaton and his Catalysts or Tom Danley and his SH-100s). JBLs are also powered, they are all high end Home Theater speakers that are unmatched by the any of the common speakers talked about daily.


I have active designs myself but I didnt put plate amps on the speakers, I could have though. My next build will have plate amps and DSPs on each speaker. Active crossovers give us incredible flexibility in the designs vs passive.

Any pre-amps you could recomend that would compliment Marks speakers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
I like the Denon, but I was figuring that without the Amp I should be able to get a better quality pre-anp for the same money???

I own the Denon 2809, the Onkyo 885 and the NAD T-175. The Denon 2809 is just as good as the other two when used as a pre/pro for Home Theater. I do like the 885 though because it has XLR pre outs and that helps me have a XLR to XLR since my active crossover only has XLR inputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
One thing about active speakers. Isn't it costly to buy line level cable in that length? And don't you increase the chance of noise?


XLR would be nice, but now you have to buy an XLR pre pro, and expensive XLR cable.


I think in the long run, a receiver is going to be simpler and cheaper, but that's a guess.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16985517


I own the Denon 2809, the Onkyo 885 and the NAD T-175. The Denon 2809 is just as good as the other two when used as a pre/pro for Home Theater. I do like the 885 though because it has XLR pre outs and that helps me have a XLR to XLR since my active crossover only has XLR inputs.

Yes , Mark said that XLR pre outs were important and to get an amp with them, I will have a look at the Onkyo 885 and see how it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave /forum/post/16985515


Any pre-amps you could recomend that would compliment Marks speakers?

I think the Onkyo 886, is the best $$$/performance out there. You can spend thousands more but in terms of Home Theater I just do not believe there is a difference (I know there isnt a audbile measured difference). You can even upgrade the Audyssey MultEQ XT to PRO if needed.


If you feel you need to spend more $$$ to make sure you have a comfort level then others can recommend the uber expensive brands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave /forum/post/16985526


Yes , Mark said that XLR pre outs were important and to get an amp with them, I will have a look at the Onkyo 885 and see how it is.

Yeah, the 886 might be a little better choice being that its the latest greatest.


Pre/pros with XLR outputs usually have a stiff price tag but the Onkyo pre/pro series doesnt so its extremely unique.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top