AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is official. Last night, I took out my pre-amp, cd changer, tape deck, and vcr. In their place is my HTPC -- it is going directly into my amps. As I expected, it is very rough for the front-end. The remote function is clunky - even with the Girder tool. Launching and Closing MyHD and PowerDVD are somewhat smooth. But I did not think about the fine adjusts to the speaker volume levels. The speaker placement functions in the M-Audio 410 control panel aren't much help. But the sound is strong. I found the preamps sound to be warmer, but I need to do more listening to determine if it is better. But considering it will take about 3-4 hours to put everything back, I think the HTPC will be there for a while.

I tried to hook my cd-changer to the inputs of the MyHD card, but it sounded awful.

Has anyone done this? What was your experience? Did a Pronto remote help significantly? Did you add external components, if so how?

-Greg

Old equipment:

Yamaha RX-V2090 (Pre-amp)

Yamaha CD Changer 765?

Pioneer Tape Deck

Fischer VCR (No expense spared)

Existing

Adcom 5400

Adcom 7400

HTPC

NEC 9PG xtra

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hey,

How are you going to get all of your old audio tapes to play on your HTPC? :>

Your right about the interface clunkiness. That's where I've spent the majority of my time. I've tried three different methods

Pronto 6000 W/ optimized CCF's for the applications I use and an irman

netremote & an old ipaq with a wireless cf card

Mainlobby suite with a dedicated touch screen and a few wireless tablets.

Now, I played with a ton of just "front-end" software solutions (myhtpc, xlobby, talisman, etc...) but they are of little help to my wife when she want's to change the channel. I didn't want a hodgepodge of different interfaces.

By far the most professional *looking* is mainlobby. The most functional is the Pronto, and the coolest and probably where this stuff is going is with netremote, which melds the best of the Pronto and Mainlobby ideas.

This was my summer project, and it took ALL summer. Granted, I was trying to replace a few more components than you were (I have a Holo3d & scale / deinterlace everything, 900 DVD movies in mega changers, a mp3 archive that only fits on a good raid drive, large digital picture archive, multi-room music etc, hdtv PVR etc....), AND I wanted the solution to control all of my external gear.

No matter which solution you go with, Girder will be there in the middle, so get comfortable with it. My wife thinks Girder is my mistress :>

Best Demo scene....

short: EPSN HD demo clip (.ts format) or Discovery HD demo clip

Longer clip: hand made dvd movie intro rendered in 1080p to DivX.

Longest: Quake III leaked Demo in 1080p or 3d canyon screensaver. it's so cool it can make people sick watching it for too long

DVD demo scene's just don't cut it for me anymore as they don't show off the sound or picture capabilities that an HTPC can put out. It's like buying a speedboat and going trawling.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did you come up with for running the mega changers through the PC?

I would like to sample HD material, but I don't have a DD decoder. M-Audio 410 only processes what PowerDVD gives it. And MyHD does not decode DD. I do show it when I want to give people an idea of HDTV and the difference from DVD.

How far did you get with control external gear? Sounds like you Satelite...

Do you have a web address for netremote?

Thanks for the heads up on the Pronto...

Demos:

Star Wars II: Sizemic Discharge scene

Air Force One: Force landing of AF One

-Greg

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
What speakers do you have (e.g., mains and satellites go down to in Hz)? CD changer should go to inputs of a good sound card like the 410 (I'd presume). Same for a SACD or DVD-A player (need 6 analog inputs for multi-channel though, 2 would work for 2.1).

I'd prefer to have 2 2-channel pairs for 2.1, one to the full range mains untouched (except digitally by the sound card) and 1 to the sub where any crossovers, phase/time shift and volume/attenuation can be further implemented (as is usually done with an active subwoofer, or units listed below). For 5.1-7.1 I’d just make sure my “equidistant satellites†went down to 35-40Hz to keep boominess out of the sub - setting it to 70-80Hz Xover.

Another way is to use outboard analog or and/or digital crossovers – 2 3-channel units for 5.1 and another 2 channel unit for 7.1. Digital wise for 20/48 DSP sampling crossovers or “loudspeaker management systems†IMO are not “ideal†($300 and up each 3-channel unit) especially for ADC-DAC conversion – you need 24/96 for any “audiophile†sampling, preferably just using the DAC stage (digital inputs for CD, DVD, HDTV 2-channel only). You could use all analog 2-channel or 3-channel crossovers (and still will cost you) – and the whole system is still going thru another “stage†(naturally good speakers already have their own crossovers built in).

Active Xovers can be 4-8th order Linkwitz-Riley (24-48dB/octave), while passive goes about 6-24dB/octave. Sharper Xover is more crucial at higher frequencies (speaker’s mid-hi range drivers) - though lower frequencies are more "latency prone" – e.g. phase shift prone.

If you get into setting the Xovers and phase/time delay with software and FIR filters (PC software w/no hardware DSP’s), this will add CPU usage and more latency itself – not an “ideal†situation. Here's the outboard Xover list (not complete, but shows a good general selection):

Alto X23 2-Way stereo / 3-Way mono Crossover $119.00

Alto X23SW 2-Way stereo Crossover + Subwoofer out $79.00

Alto X34 3-Way Stereo / 4-Way Mono Crossover $129.00

Alto X34SW 3-Way stereo Crossover + Subwoofer out $99.00

Alto Maxidrive 2.3 Digital Crossover 2-way stereo,3/4-way mono (20/48 sampling) $479.00

Alto Maxidrive 3.4 Digital Crossover 3-way stereo,3-6-way mono (20/48 sampling) $545.00

Behringer Super-X Pro CX2310 2-Way Stereo/3-Way Mono Frequency Crossover with Subwoofer Out $79.00

Behringer Super-X Pro CX3400 3-Way Stero/4-Way Mono Frequency Crossover with Limiters $129.99

Behringer DCX2496 Ultra-Drive Pro Digital Crossover System (24/96 sampling) $350.00

Bryston 10B Electronic Crossover review - Suggested Retail Price $1,195.00

BSS FDS-334 Minidrive loudspeaker management system (w/DSP) $1,139.00

BSS FDS-336 Minidrive loudspeaker management system (w/DSP) $1,500.00

dbx 223 Stereo 2-Way/Mono 3-Way Crossover $149.00

dbx 234 Stereo 2/3 Way, Mono 4-Way Crossover $179.95

dbx 223XL Stereo 2-Way/Mono 3-Way Crossover (XLR only) $199.95

dbx 234XL Stereo 2/3 Way, Mono 4-Way Crossover (XLR only) $229.95

dbx Driverack 240 Complete Equalization & Loudspeaker Control System $802.80

dbx Driverack 241 Complete Equalization & Loudspeaker Control System $736.80

dbx Driverack 260 Complete Equalization & Loudspeaker Control System $995.95

Rane Mojo MX22 2-Way Crossover $149.00

Rane AC-22B Crossover, Stereo 2-way Or Mono 3-way $339.00

Rane AC-23B Crossover, Stereo 2- / 3-way Or Mono 4- / 5-way $419.00

Rane AC-24 Crossover, Limiter, Stereo 3-way or 4-way (w/DSP) $799.00

Rane SAC-22 Crossover, Stereo 2-way $219.00

Rane SAC-23 Crossover, Stereo 3-way $299.00

Marchand XM6 24dB/oct, variable crossover frequency $799.00

Marchand XM9 24db/oct filterslope Available 2-way stereo, 3-way stereo and 3-channel $449.00 3 ch Ezkit

Marchand XM16 48 dB/oct filterslope $399.00 deluxe kit

Marchand XM44 24dB/oct or 48 dB/oct, 2-way, 3-way and 4-way models available $599.00 2-way EZ kit

Marchand XM46 PASSIVE 24dB/oct $499.00 EZ kit

Sony SRP-F300 crossover (24/96 sampling) $1,599.00

XTA DP224 2 IN/4 OUT & DP226 2 IN/6 OUT speaker management system $2,900.00

Curcio - Furman, Rolls crossovers

To conclude, hi-end external components for crossovers, phase/time delay... even for just 2.1 channels are expensive – just for 1 unit (also called loudspeaker management systems). If you just want to integrate the sub – maybe run that LFE channel to 1 good adjustable crossover. Also with DRC (software FIR crossovers and phase/time delay)… people do report excellent results - as well as with a Behringer DCX2496 with 24/96 sampling (in the above list). Also you might have to deal with balanced XLR connectors on many of the pro-audio crossover units – connecting to unbalanced RCA jacks - http://www.rane.com/note110.html

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If you want to control your CD jukebox's there is a device called the slinky

·
Registered
784 Posts
Netremote - www.netremote.org. Big download, and kind of intimidating at first (like mainlobby used to be), but intuitive if you've replaced your pre-amp.

I didn't record the HD demo's myself, I found them as links here on AVS forum. I'll see if I can dig them up. As for my demo, it's a couple of gigs.

I control most of my external gear via a slink-e. With mainlobby and dvd-profiler, I have a nice intuitive display of all my DVD's, including those I've ripped to disk.

All of my external gear is controlled by Girder & the Slink-e. I also use a x-10 controller for the PC to control the lighting, Hvac, motion sensors, etc... Of all the hobbies I have, at least this one improves the value of our house a bit :>

I have a disklavier grand piano made by Yamaha, and I control it via a wireless slate (and it can be triggered via X-10... when my driveway detector goes off between 6 and 8 pm, it queues up some classical music to greet me at the door). People are just amazed how far technology can reach into our everyday lives.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well RayL Jr., thanks for the leads on the crossovers and loudspeaker management systems. My speakers are all full-range...

Main: Mirage OM6

Surround: Mirage OM10

Rear Surround: Boston Accoustic CR7 (Bookshelf)

Center: Boston Accoutic: VR12

SUBS: Klipsch SW10 & SW12

They can handle the output, without adjustments the center is too strong and the surrounds are too weak when sitting in the front row. I have heard Bryston gear and there is a dealer near by. Think I'll *pay* a visit...

orbitzboy,

Now that is what I'm talking about! Home automation. My wife would definitely jump on that... Can you get it to do dishes and put the kids to bed? Girder Rules!

-Greg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi guys, kinda dumb newbie question here probably so please forgive/bear with me.

I'm looking to replace my pre-amp and figured that was a great excuse to build a HTPC but I kept reading that video processing (ie using the HTPC as a dvd player/scaler) and sound processing (ala pre-amp) would not work well together in the same machine. I dug through the FAQ a bit but most of it seems to be based on using the PC to play dvds and pipe the audio to your existing pre-amp.

What I'm looking for is a starter guide or hardware and software tips for building the pre-amp only part (lets assume I'll keep using my existing dvd player). I hope that made sense (its late friday at work, my brain has kinda shut down on me). I'm going back to the FAQ's and searches but it sounds like you've done what I want to do Greg so any tips would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Sean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.