AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of cables do I need to run for my pre outs, and where is a good place to get them? I know they have the RCA plugs, but I wasn't sure if they were just standard RCA cables, or something different all together. Also, is there a good place to get them? I'd prefer to get them all bundled together if possible. I'll need 3 connectors for my front 3 channels, and 2 for my subs.

Brent

· Registered
29,555 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18225268

Standard RCA audio cables are fine for that. Monoprice.com is a great source for cables.

Awesome! I was hoping that was the case. I have to order some banana plugs and speaker wire anyway!

So just to be straight, I can use standard RCA cables for all the preouts, including the subs?

· Registered
219 Posts
The preouts use standard RCA cables. If you want them bundled together, I would suggest you bind them on your own; I've never seen 3 audio RCA cables combined from a manufacturer (I'm not including video RCA cables i.e a component cable [which is 3 rca cables connected] as many feel there is a difference between audio rca's and video rca's).

Try Monoprice.com and Bluejeanscable.com.

Regards,

Brian

Oops! Took too long typing!

· Registered
29,555 Posts
One more time, how far are the subwoofers from the receiver? Yes a subwoofer cable is a standard RCA cable. But I have a hunch the subwoofers wont be next too each other. that's why your request for a 5 pack of cables doesn't make sense to me.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18225295

they're just standard RCA cables.

Here is the cheap and easy way to do it.

Buy a set of component video cables from monoprice.com. They have the 5 cable set that will do exactly what you need for your 3 fronts and two subs.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Curious though, you have two subs. Don't you need longer cables to run directly your subs? Monoprice sells individual subwoofer cables too.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Sorry, I posted before I saw your response! You're right, my sub cables will need to be separate from the others. So they will have to be singles. I was just looking at the component cables thinking those would work perfectly!

Thanks!

· Registered
29,555 Posts

Quote:
I'm not including video RCA cables i.e a component cable [which is 3 rca cables connected] as many feel there is a difference between audio rca's and video rca's).

there's no difference. They're both RG-6 75 ohm cables. The only difference is the color band on the connector.

· Registered
29,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious One /forum/post/18225314

Sorry, I posted before I saw your response! You're right, my sub cables will need to be separate from the others. So they will have to be singles. I was just looking at the component cables thinking those would work perfectly!

Thanks!

Get the 3 pack component cables instead of the 5 pack and then buy whatever length subwoofer cable you need.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

· Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18225322

there's no difference. They're both RG-6 75 ohm cables. The only difference is the color band on the connector.

Audio-grade cables are 50Ω, but the 75Ω cables work, too. Video may or may not work well on 50Ω cables, depending on the hardware.

· Registered
29,555 Posts
So this subwoofer cable which can used as a digital coax, video, subwoofer, etc can't be used for audio? Please.....

Maybe those piece of crap thin a/v cables that come in the box of dvd players and vcrs are 50ohm but good good quality audio cables use 75 ohm RG-6 or RG-59.

Even the blue jeans audio cables are RG-6 75 ohm.

These "stereo cables" are 75 ohm too.

I've used 3 pairs of those for 5.1 analog hi def audio from my Blu Ray and HD-DVD players to my receiver before I got an HDMI receiver.

· Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18225373

So this subwoofer cable which can used as a digital coax, video, subwoofer, etc can't be used for audio? Please.....

Maybe those piece of crap thin a/v cables that come in the box of dvd players and vcrs are 50ohm but good good quality audio cables use RG-6 or RG-59.

Even the blue jeans audio cables are RG-6 75 ohm.

I never said it couldn't. Please point out where I did.

I specified audio-grade cables are 50Ω. They are. Video-grade cables are 75Ω. Because they also work well for everything that uses RCA, they are often the only type stocked and sold.

In case I need to spell it out = 75Ω video-grade cables are better. They can do the job of both audio-grade and video-grade cables. 50Ω audio-grade cables may or may not work well for video connections.

And by "audio-grade", I'm referring to the actual physical specifications, not the common "one-size fits all" practice of selling nothing but 75Ω cables for all purposes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.