AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of cables do I need to run for my pre outs, and where is a good place to get them? I know they have the RCA plugs, but I wasn't sure if they were just standard RCA cables, or something different all together. Also, is there a good place to get them? I'd prefer to get them all bundled together if possible. I'll need 3 connectors for my front 3 channels, and 2 for my subs.

Brent

·
Registered
29,191 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18225268

Standard RCA audio cables are fine for that. Monoprice.com is a great source for cables.

Awesome! I was hoping that was the case. I have to order some banana plugs and speaker wire anyway!

So just to be straight, I can use standard RCA cables for all the preouts, including the subs?

·
Registered
219 Posts
The preouts use standard RCA cables. If you want them bundled together, I would suggest you bind them on your own; I've never seen 3 audio RCA cables combined from a manufacturer (I'm not including video RCA cables i.e a component cable [which is 3 rca cables connected] as many feel there is a difference between audio rca's and video rca's).

Try Monoprice.com and Bluejeanscable.com.

Regards,

Brian

Oops! Took too long typing!

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
One more time, how far are the subwoofers from the receiver? Yes a subwoofer cable is a standard RCA cable. But I have a hunch the subwoofers wont be next too each other. that's why your request for a 5 pack of cables doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18225295

they're just standard RCA cables.

Here is the cheap and easy way to do it.

Buy a set of component video cables from monoprice.com. They have the 5 cable set that will do exactly what you need for your 3 fronts and two subs.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Curious though, you have two subs. Don't you need longer cables to run directly your subs? Monoprice sells individual subwoofer cables too.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Sorry, I posted before I saw your response! You're right, my sub cables will need to be separate from the others. So they will have to be singles. I was just looking at the component cables thinking those would work perfectly!

Thanks!

·
Registered
29,191 Posts

Quote:
I'm not including video RCA cables i.e a component cable [which is 3 rca cables connected] as many feel there is a difference between audio rca's and video rca's).

there's no difference. They're both RG-6 75 ohm cables. The only difference is the color band on the connector.

·
Registered
29,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious One /forum/post/18225314

Sorry, I posted before I saw your response! You're right, my sub cables will need to be separate from the others. So they will have to be singles. I was just looking at the component cables thinking those would work perfectly!

Thanks!

Get the 3 pack component cables instead of the 5 pack and then buy whatever length subwoofer cable you need.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18225322

there's no difference. They're both RG-6 75 ohm cables. The only difference is the color band on the connector.

Audio-grade cables are 50Ω, but the 75Ω cables work, too. Video may or may not work well on 50Ω cables, depending on the hardware.

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
So this subwoofer cable which can used as a digital coax, video, subwoofer, etc can't be used for audio? Please.....

Maybe those piece of crap thin a/v cables that come in the box of dvd players and vcrs are 50ohm but good good quality audio cables use 75 ohm RG-6 or RG-59.

Even the blue jeans audio cables are RG-6 75 ohm.

These "stereo cables" are 75 ohm too.

I've used 3 pairs of those for 5.1 analog hi def audio from my Blu Ray and HD-DVD players to my receiver before I got an HDMI receiver.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18225338

Audio-grade cables are 50Ω, but the 75Ω cables work, too. Video may or may not work well on 50Ω cables, depending on the hardware.

Ok, so I should be looking for 50 ohm cables, right?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18225373

So this subwoofer cable which can used as a digital coax, video, subwoofer, etc can't be used for audio? Please.....

Maybe those piece of crap thin a/v cables that come in the box of dvd players and vcrs are 50ohm but good good quality audio cables use RG-6 or RG-59.

Even the blue jeans audio cables are RG-6 75 ohm.

I never said it couldn't. Please point out where I did.

I specified audio-grade cables are 50Ω. They are. Video-grade cables are 75Ω. Because they also work well for everything that uses RCA, they are often the only type stocked and sold.

In case I need to spell it out = 75Ω video-grade cables are better. They can do the job of both audio-grade and video-grade cables. 50Ω audio-grade cables may or may not work well for video connections.

And by "audio-grade", I'm referring to the actual physical specifications, not the common "one-size fits all" practice of selling nothing but 75Ω cables for all purposes.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious One /forum/post/18225384

Ok, so I should be looking for 50 ohm cables, right?

No, either 50 or 75 will work for audio. Any RCA cable will do fine.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious One /forum/post/18225386

man, y'all have lost me lol!

Welcome to AVS. Discussion of the simplest things tend to spiral rapidly out of control into extreme technicality and then the insults usually follow.

Anyway, hopefully this helped, somehow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts