AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to venture into the world of seperates for my home system.

Currently I have a Marantz 5200 reciever, with full pre-outs.

I would like to purchase a seperate amplifier, and use the Marantz as a pre/pro. Will the marantz be a sutible pre/pro for the time-being?

What makes one pre/pro better than an other (aside from features)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Yeah, using your receiver as a pre/pro will be fine for the time being. Most of us went that route when we upgraded to separates. Amp first using receiver as preamp and then ditching the receiver for a dedicated preamp.

In response to your question about what makes one pre/pro better than another? Well, outside of features, it's definitely sound quality which is achieved through the use of superior materials. Or did you mean what makes a pre/pro better than using a receiver as a pre/pro? Again, I think it's sound quality.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

What I would like to know, is what makes one sound better than an other?

What are the specifications to look for?

Can you tell if one will be better than an other based on spes?

What requirments do people look for in a pre/pro?

Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry for hi-jacking your thread, as I am in the same position you are JRace........

How do you know if your receiver has pre-outs on it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
PointSource,

Look at the back of your receiver and if if has preout RCA jacks, they'll be labeled "pre-outs" or something like that.

JRace,

I don't look at specs when I go shopping for preamps. I try to see which one sounds best to me and dig up as much comparative info as possible and find something within my budget. Usually pre/pros are pretty pricey so manufacturers aren't going to produce any "bad" pre/pro out there IMO, however there are ones that better suit your needs and tastes. Try to find one with as little floor noise as possible which isn't apparent in reading a spec sheet. Maybe someone else can shed some more light on reading the spec sheets for pre/pros.

·
Registered
937 Posts
One area where some tend to focus in on the DACS, so reading to get up to speed might help. This is kind of like the amp discussion, though -- not everyone agrees of how audible they are.

The big difference is in features: variable crossovers, formats supported, dsps and equalizers, upgradibility. In pre/pros, newer usually implies updated formats but not other features, they make a great deal of difference and are (imho) the leading cause of unhappiness with purchases.

Regards, Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.