AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on the edge of the DIY thread for awhile. While I would like to get into it I seem to see that you either built the whole thing including cutting panels or you buy a completely built box and put it together in a couple of hours. Neither appeals to me. I have read a few people thinking about pre-cutting panels for people but haven't seen anything come to fruition. Is anyone doing this?

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He he he! took a look at that bad boy. Looks as big as a coffin. If my wife ever got a look at it in our house I'd probably have to use it for that.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Look for someone near by, you might find someone to cut everything for some beers.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 /forum/post/18173573

I have been on the edge of the DIY thread for awhile. While I would like to get into it I seem to see that you either built the whole thing including cutting panels or you buy a completely built box and put it together in a couple of hours. Neither appeals to me. I have read a few people thinking about pre-cutting panels for people but haven't seen anything come to fruition. Is anyone doing this?

Wood Artistry sells flat-pack kits for Linkwitz Orions.

The 10" Nathan and 12" Abbey versions of Earl Geddes wave guide speakers are available in flat-pack kits. IIRC the 8" Harper flavor only comes in kits with assembled cabinets.

There are others although conventional dome + cone designs have polar response problems that you need to avoid for natural sound.

You may also be able to provide a parts list to a local cabinet shop.

·
Premium Member
25,516 Posts
Cutting the panels is one of the quickest parts of boc building.

A cabinet shop should do the cuts pretty quickly/cheaply if you give them dimensioned sketches/dwgs.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All great ideas, thanks guys. I guess there's more possibilities than I thought. AVS strikes again.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
If there are only a few cuts, often Home Depot can do it for you as well.

Of course, you are not going to get intricate cuts. But, you can get the panels cut to standard sizes for transport then cut them down further at home or wherever.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Home depot has, in the past, cut panels to spec if they were not any fancy cuts. Just square cuts. For subs that's about all you need.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had a local cabinet maker cut my Baltic Birch to spec... I showed him the drawings, labelled the sections I wanted according to which cuts (choosing the most appealing grain and cuts for the sides that would be visible).

I made the circle cuts myself for driver, port, and terminal with my router, and everything went together beautifully, IMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts