AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed an ad by AVS for a new Epson 8700 for $1999 if ordered by 11/29. The ad said that each unit would be examined for defects and calibrated before shipment. My issue is this: When I had my current projector calibrated by an ISF certified calibrator he aimed his instrument at the screen and did the adjustments off of this. My screen is a Da-Lite HP, 2.8 gain. Wouldn't this make a big difference if AVS wasn't calibrating my unit using the same screen? Of course, there is also the issue of waiting for the bulb to burn in before the calibration.

Opinions?

Jack

·
Registered
12,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB /forum/post/19559842

I noticed an ad by AVS for a new Epson 8700 for $1999 if ordered by 11/29. The ad said that each unit would be examined for defects and calibrated before shipment. My issue is this: When I had my current projector calibrated by an ISF certified calibrator he aimed his instrument at the screen and did the adjustments off of this. My screen is a Da-Lite HP, 2.8 gain. Wouldn't this make a big difference if AVS wasn't calibrating my unit using the same screen? Of course, there is also the issue of waiting for the bulb to burn in before the calibration.

Opinions?

Jack

It would be better if you got the projector calibrated in your home with your screen after waiting a couple hundred hours to make sure nothing is wrong with it and to get an more accurate and meaningful calibration.

·
Premium Member
10,426 Posts
Measuring with the screen material is important, but measurements should also be taken from the projector. Doing this I am able to hit grayscale from 0 to 100 percent. The actual installation is also a big factor in the system performance and all components should be reviewed as installed. This applies equally to audio and video.

Here are more details on this.

http://homecinemaguru.com/?page_id=42

http://homecinemaguru.com/?page_id=39

·
Registered
201 Posts
FWIW, I have a 8700 and the calibration most definately changes in the 1st 300 hours (which is as long as I've had it now). e.g. THX mode w/default settings - when I 1st got it, grayscale was pretty good... not too much tweaking there. Now, it is WAY too low on red (measures about 80% with default settings).

IMHO calibrating a projector right when you get it is a waste... I've paid an ISF calibrator to do my display a few years back and it was worth every dime... but now I question if doing the same to a PJ is worth it. It seems thus far the spectrum output from the bulb is way too unstable over time.

All in all I would say if you are going to get it calibrated, do it at 500 hours.

·
Premium Member
10,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelba /forum/post/19563051

FWIW, I have a 8700 and the calibration most definately changes in the 1st 300 hours (which is as long as I've had it now). e.g. THX mode w/default settings - when I 1st got it, grayscale was pretty good... not too much tweaking there. Now, it is WAY too low on red (measures about 80% with default settings).

IMHO calibrating a projector right when you get it is a waste... I've paid an ISF calibrator to do my display a few years back and it was worth every dime... but now I question if doing the same to a PJ is worth it. It seems thus far the spectrum output from the bulb is way too unstable over time.

All in all I would say if you are going to get it calibrated, do it at 500 hours.

I recommend my clients touchup the white point over time by purchasing some low cost test gear because of these shifts. They are unable to do the more detailed color calibration required intially.

http://homecinemaguru.com/?p=809

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB /forum/post/19559842

Opinions?

Jack

First, we offer 2 aspects to our service...QC and calibration. The QC is just that...quality control. We inspect for damage, convergence errors, dead pixels, etc.... Then, if a customer opts for it, we can do an ISF calibration. Is it as accurate as having it done in your home? No...and we don't ever claim it is. However we charge a fraction of what most guys who come to your house will, and in addition many of our clients simply don't have anyone else around to do it, thus there is an benefit to it for many.

If you are used to having someone come to your house, then don't opt for it...it is that simple really. As far as your questions on screen and such, it all depends on the setup. Some screens can greatly affect the results, others will not (especially to the eye). Same goes with the rooms themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.