AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my house a couple of years ago and bought the television to go with it back then. Now I want to fill in my living room with audio. The house has four speakers installed in the ceiling of the living room and they're wired to a plate behind the table where my television sits. The living room is approx. 20' X 20'. I pulled the speaker cover off of one of the speakers in my ceiling and this is what I found underneath:

The photo is kind of blurry (camera on my phone), but in the top right of the photo is a switch that can be turned with a coin or flathead screwdriver that has three settings (0, 3, 6). I have no idea what that switch does. Secondly, I removed the six screws from the faceplate in order to figure out what kind of speakers were underneath there. The unscrewed faceplate would not come out easily, and I don't want to force it and break something. Is there a trick to pulling it out? Once I get the faceplate off and find the speaker information, what do I need to be looking for? With a ~400 sqft living room, what power speakers should I be looking for?

I'm also going to have to buy a center channel speaker. I honestly haven't even started looking at these. What are some companies I should look at for center channel speakers, and are there any good websites for reviews and other information?

I'm sure I'll have follow-up questions as I continue down this road, but I appreciate any pointers or comments.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I would at least try them, but in-ceiling speakers for two of the "front 3" speakers are a serious compromise. Ideally, the tweeters of the front 3 speakers (carrying 90+% of the audio information on a movie soundtrack) should be at "seated ear level", or at least centered on the TV screen.

If, after you have tried them and find you do not like the "voice from above" effect, then seriously consider regular speakers for the "front 3" and use the back inceiling units for the side surrounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And if I got new "front 3" speakers, then I would need a receiver that supports 7.1 surround, correct?

I've read that you want all speakers to be of the same brand...how is Jamo as a brand?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
part 1: my guess is the 4 installed speakers are arranged with two forward near where the TV will be and two back in the room. The two back in the room would be the surrounds and the two forward would not be used at all.

part 2: the only reason to have all your surround speakers match beyond the "front 3" is if you are listening to true multi-channel music, like SACD or DVD-A. The actual side and rear surround speakers in a HT movie setup do not need to match the front three - you will not notice the difference in speakers with ambient and special effects audio usually found on the surround channels.

So you can use two of the installed speakers in a 5.1 setup, do not hook up the two forward speakers at all, and add the left - center - and right front speakers to get the sound focused on the TV screen and not on the ceiling.

·
Registered
122 Posts
1. Jamo is a very good brand

2. The numbers (0, 3, 6) are most likely a tweeter volume adjustment. Are you sure it isn't 0, -3, -6?

3. If you have the money, I would recmommend buying 2 front tower speakers as mains, and a center channel (all the same brand/line) and then use your built-in rears as surrounds. If you can't, or just don't want to, then try looking for a center channel speaker made by Jamo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts