Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I live in an apartment, so home theater construction is not a possibility. However, I really wanted to put one of my couches up a few inches, are there pre-build risers (like choirs use?) that would hold a couch and a few people?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ok everyone might laugh at me for this but when I lived in an apartment- before the wife naturally- I had this huge blow out party for the superbowl. I build a; well- stage for entertainment complete with a pole and rope lights around the sides. Needless to saw we only watched the superbowl occasionally. What am I getting at. OH yeah. You can easily build one with a few 2x4s and a sheet or 2 of ¾ plywood and some paint. I would recommend building it as you can make it custom. Total cost about 50 bucks I would say.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Sungen, I like the "dancer" pole idea.

Mike, you could easily build one. Make a frame using 2x4s and space some joists 12 or 16 inches apart all the way through. Put 2 layers of plywood on top (two 1/2 inch layers is fine for 12" spaced joists). And either staple cheap carpet on it or paint it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
with a riser you could easily add some bass-kickers too! (course the apt dwellers might not appreciate it)

sungen99 - was the "Stage" for the halftime show?....

Jerry

·
Registered
238 Posts
Actually Spyderman the stage was preaty much the WHOLE show if you know what I mean. There were 8 guys and we had well, 2... not guys. The BEST part is they thought it was so cool that they called their freaking friends and by the end of the afternoon we had 10, well, not guys all fighting to "preform" on my little ol stage. Don't really remember who won the game actually now that I think about it.

Yes for thoes saying "No way" there were 10 of them. Thank God for the 7-10 down the street cuz we ran out of beer. My friend Brian and one of the "proformers" went for some more. Needless to say her outfit consisted of a trench coat and high-heals. But THAT my friends is for another thread.

GOD I MISS SINGLE LIFE!!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
How important are two layers of plywood vs. one? I have one layer of 3/4" plywood on my riser and I wasn't planning on adding anymore. The plywood I purchased is the type that they use for siding when building houses, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mancubus - not sure exactly why two layers, maybe so it doesnt sound hollow when walking on it or to perevent it from becoming a bass trap or "something" chamber, but I've read many times to stuff them with insulation for acoustic reasons

sungen - dude I don't believe you! 7-11's are not open that late :D !!

Now if we could combine our ideas...

...stage...pole....kicker.. ah the good old days.....

(pan away to wife sneaking up behind me) SMACK! POW! BAM!!

help!......must ....warn..... others........

As I was saying, 7-11 are open late......

Gig103, are you trying for two rows of seats? if so I would maybe make it higher say at lest 6" stuffed with insulation and 2 or 3 layers of plywood with felt paper between.

edit ... Or some plywood and concrete blocks for a quicker picker upper!

cool.. a stage....

Jerry

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Damn, my old room mate and I used to joke about putting a "dancer" pole in the billiard room. And we've brought home dancers, but never had 10 show up.

Two layers are just so it doesn't sag between the joists. And yes you could add shakers. Just put feet on the ends and none in the middle.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Quote:
Two layers are just so it doesn't sag between the joists
Not trying to argue but I don't understand why this is needed. The floors in my home are made out of particle board (not sure of the thickness) and we have much heavier furniture upstairs and I don't notice any sagging. Is the sagging issue a real concern or a JIC?

·
Registered
624 Posts
P.S. The reason why I'm challenging the idea is b/c around here, a sheet of plywood costs $39 a piece of which I need 4. Did I mention that I'm cheap? :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mancubus

I haven't heard an actual reason for the multiple layers of plywood, I just did a search and could find nil. Rumor has it that multiple layers are to prevent sagging, and the tarpaper between layers w/multiple layers reduces the sound transmission into the riser. If I am assuming wrong someone please correct me.

I have also read it is important to screw and glue the plywood to prevent squeaks which I definitely agree - how many of us have a squeaky floor spot somewhere in our house? The particle board on your house floor is probably 3/4 OSB " and is VERY heavy and dense, heavier than a 3/4" plywood. Although not the rec way of the forum, if you had 12-16" centers (houses are usually 16" centers) on your riser, plywood/OSB screwed and glued, stuffed full of insulation, padded and carpeted, it will probably work very well. There is always the best way and then there's the way you can afford, just like everything else. If it works, you like it and your HT is more enjoyable than go for it!!!!

IMCHO (in my Cheap humble opinion)

Jerry

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We do have some problems in this forum with over engineering some things. Some say the two sheets are so it doesn't collapse (BS I say). I went with 2 sheets of 5/8" OSB that cost like $40cdn versus the $90cdn two sheets of 1/2" G1S Plywood would have cost. Plus it's also more environmentally friendly since you're using the scrap wood and chips. ;)

One good reason for using two outside of additional sound muffling is the extra height. For me every extra .5" I could squeeze out was worth it.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Let's suppose you are putting a couch on the riser. Now suppose you have 3 good sized guys (assume 200 lbs each) sitting on the couch, watching the football game. Many couches only have 4 feet on them, and these are usually only about 1 square inch diameter. That means that the 1 sqaure inch on the plywood is holding around 150 lbs. You want that 150 lbs held up by 1/2 inch of plywood with a joist at most 8 inches away on a 16 inch OC framed riser? I'm sure you will hear cracking and have to repair that riser.

If you want just 1 layer of plywood, then build it with 1 layer. One layer of 3/4 inch plywood is fine. One layer of 1/2 inch is a little too iffy in my book. I've walked around on 1/2 inch OSB on 16 inch OC joists. It moved and flexed way too much for me. I built my risers with 2 layers of 1/2" CDX on 2x6 framing with 12" OC joists and everything is glued and screwed and filled with blown insulation. The joists span for 8 feet and I bet I could park my car on it, though I wouldn't. It has 2 levels (14" high and 28" high) and seats 12 people. Is it overconstructed, maybe, but I'll never have to wonder if it will hold all the weight.

So build yours how you want and quit complaining about cost of an extra sheet of wood or overconstruction. If framed properly, it won't fall down. The 2 layers of plywood are to reduce flex between the joists and make sure your couch doesn't fall through. I'm sure your house has 2 layers of plywood in the floor. Many builders will do a 1/2" OSB over 5/8" CDX with 16" OC joist floors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.