AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving into a pre-owned house next week that the previous owner wired up with in-ceiling speakers. I've yet to check the quality of brand/model etc. and they direction of them is not ideal. Front L&Rs face straight down to the floor and I don't plan on using them. Rears also face down to the floor but I am considering using those for a potential 5.1 or 7.1 setup depending on people's thoughts.

Current equipment: Denon 791 receiver + Orb Mod 2 system.

Options I 'm thinking:

1. Eliminate the In-Ceilings altogether and just go 5.1 with the rear speakers on stands behind (sides) of couch.

2. Go 5.1 with the In-Ceiling speakers only and eliminate the rear Orbs on stands. (My wife would like this one - I'm sure you can relate!)

3. Go 7.1 and use rear Orbs and In-Ceilings. Not sure if I would setup the In-Ceilings as Surround Backs or Surround right/left in this configuration.

Option 2 & 3 are the most attractive to me and honestly I wouldn't mind just having 5.1 with the In-Ceilings and no rear speaker stands for the kids to knock over, be in the way etc. Not sure how much quality I'd be sacrificing though both with the positioning of the speakers themselves and the quality of the actual speakers although I could always upgrade them.

What do you guys think is the best setup for me? Really appreciate your advice!

THANKS!

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
You have a few more options. If you want to stay in-celing but want improved sound:

1. - Go with angled in-ceiling speakers for your right, left, and center. Something like this:
http://www.definitivetech.com/Products/products.aspx?path=In-wall/In-Ceiling_Speakers&productid=UIW_RCS_II

Leave the current in-ceiling speakers for surrounds, and replace them with better in-ceiling speakers if you are not happy with the sound.

2. Go with floorstanding or bookshelf speakers for your right, left, and center. Leave the current in-ceiling speakers for surrounds and potentially replace them with better in-ceiloing speakers.'

As someone with three small kids, I hated having surround speakers or rear speakers on stands. Pain in the butt unless your kids are older.

You will also need a dedicated subwoofer no matter what you do. I would concentrate my budget on the front three speakers and a good subwoofer. Worry about 7 speaker surrounds later. While we are seeing more and more engaging 7 speaker tracks in movies, vast majority of content is still mixed for 5 speakers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to go with my gut and just do a 5.1 using the in-ceiling rears only. Unless there's something I can do with the in-ceiling Front L & Rs I guess those will just go un-used.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked2023  /t/1417130/pre-owned-house-with-in-ceiling-speakers-advice#post_22173493

Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to go with my gut and just do a 5.1 using the in-ceiling rears only. Unless there's something I can do with the in-ceiling Front L & Rs I guess those will just go un-used.

I would have done the same thing. Getting good imaging from in-ceiling speakers is challenging.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked2023  /t/1417130/pre-owned-house-with-in-ceiling-speakers-advice#post_22173493

I do have in-ceiling surround speakers (4 x Yamaha NS-IC800 ) for 7.1 setup and the surround sound is pretty good. I should rather say 'as good as it gets' since it's not totally ideal but my seating area didn't allowed me to place the surrounds next to it. But it's not bad at all and I have at least no cables laying on the floor.

And one more thing - it really helps to have in-ceiling speakers with swivel tweeters that deliver high frequency with precise sound positioning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts