AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Could anyone throw me some names of high quaility Pre/Pro's please? I wish to do some further research.

I may want to go the Pre/Pro + Amp route with my new HT. But, again, I don't know very much about todays AVR's and Pre/Pro's. I am looking at getting some quality speakers, so I want quality signal going to them. I am an electronics technician by trade, so I fully understand electronic theory.

I have read about the problems with the Emotiva. Their amps look nice, but stay with what you're good at!

So first question... If I want True HD and DTS-HD MA (or other formats) and the avr/pre/pro does not decode them, then it would be best to go with the, say Oppo BD-83SE and send analog to the avr/pre/pro? This would save money on the avr/pre/pro end correct?

Basically what I'm thinking is that it doesn't matter where you decode the lossless codecs, as long as they get decoded and amplified correct? So why have an avr/pre/pro and a Blu-Ray player that can both decode when only 1 will ever be used at a time?

Is this why some , for example, would recommend the cheaper Onkyo 807 vs the 5007?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
i'd suggest to go with an avr...

especially since i saw the words "save money" in your post...

most any "new" avr will decode the formats... decoding has become a checkbox item these days...

running analog from a player to an avr "works", but makes bass management complicated, and most cdp's bass management is crude at best... fwiw, the se is overkill for movie use, even if you are doing the d/a conversion in the player...

decide what speakers first... THEN the electronics...

what is your budget?

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick /forum/post/18293049

Hi folks,

Could anyone throw me some names of high quaility Pre/Pro's please? I wish to do some further research.

I may want to go the Pre/Pro + Amp route with my new HT. But, again, I don't know very much about todays AVR's and Pre/Pro's. I am looking at getting some quality speakers, so I want quality signal going to them. I am an electronics technician by trade, so I fully understand electronic theory.

I have read about the problems with the Emotiva. Their amps look nice, but stay with what you're good at!

So first question... If I want True HD and DTS-HD MA (or other formats) and the avr/pre/pro does not decode them, then it would be best to go with the, say Oppo BD-83SE and send analog to the avr/pre/pro? This would save money on the avr/pre/pro end correct?

Basically what I'm thinking is that it doesn't matter where you decode the lossless codecs, as long as they get decoded and amplified correct? So why have an avr/pre/pro and a Blu-Ray player that can both decode when only 1 will ever be used at a time?

Is this why some , for example, would recommend the cheaper Onkyo 807 vs the 5007?

Denon has very high quality Pre/Pro and multichannel amp. Having a better pre/pro is not just about features such as decoding signals but the quality with which the signals arrive at the amps and speakers.

Pre/Pro - Denon AVP-A1HDCI

Denon Multichannel Amp POA-A1HDCI

All the best,

Michael

·
Registered
22,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick /forum/post/18293049

True, as far as it goes, but since you're buying a new processor, the point is moot. They all decode lossless formats now.

IMHO, all you really need is HDMI switching and HDMI audio processing/decoding with enough inputs and analog outputs for an amp. There are quite a few AVRs that meet those criteria, and Pre-Pro units are more expensive for the most part. Any of those choices have excellent DACs in them and will deliver excellent sound.

It's really a matter of finding the features you want whether it's a pre-pro or AVR, and frankly most of the features they are selling are useless. A good quality speaker setup routine is all you need and they all have that too.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMike /forum/post/18293209

Denon has very high quality Pre/Pro and multichannel amp. Having a better pre/pro is not just about features such as decoding signals but the quality with which the signals arrive at the amps and speakers.

Pre/Pro - Denon AVP-A1HDCI

Denon Multichannel Amp POA-A1HDCI

All the best,

Michael

i would agree with the fact that the denon pre-pro/amp combo is a VERY nice kit... the case might be made that it's almost as good as a susano that only takes up one rack space and costs less than half...

that being said, since the op mentioned emotiva, i made the assumption that he wasn't playing in the $10-$15k price range for the pre pro and amp...

·
Registered
480 Posts
My vote goes for the Anthem Statement D2v and Anthem Statement P5 or A5 amps. Great customer service from Anthem plus there are tons of owners in the D2v owners thread that will be able to offer help if needed.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN /forum/post/18296862

My Integra DHC-40.1 cost under a grand. It's great! Also, you can find a wide variety of multichannel amps with varying price ranges. I'm sure you could get the whole shabang for under 2K.....SEPARATES ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY IMO.......

Without question, for me separates were worth every penny. I have owned several AVRs and when I finally went the separate route, the difference in SQ blew the doors off of AVRs.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all,

I appreciate the input.

I don't know. I guess until I can actually demo some systems, I'm undecided. Aren't we all?!!? I do have to say that I am biased towards Onkyo since they do sell them at Fry's which is right across the street from me.

Budget? I would like to say $2k, but it ultimately is up to WAF. I have my eye on the Onkyo TX-NR 5007. I am trying to put together a working man's Home Theater. 80% TV/movies - 15% Music - 5% Wii. But the OCD in me wants the best PQ and SQ I can get.

Most of my money will be put into speakers. They definitely are the weakest link in my HT. SVS sub for sure, and 5.1 of some indeterminite type. Aperion are looking good if the local HT shops don't have anything I like.

What is the difference between THX Ultra2 plus and THX Select2 Plus? I know I will be running a 5.1 set up and would like to add height speakers for movies.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
To first approximation, the difference between Ultra and Select is the quality of the amplifiers, which is why on the THX web site they recommend Ultra for larger rooms. It doesn't have anything to do with the availability of additional speaker channels for height simulation. You need to look at the detailed specs for a given receiver or pre/pro to see if they have Dolby Prologic IIx (for rear surrounds) or IIz (for rear + height) and if they have enough audio channels (7 if you want rears or height without rears, 9 if you want both at the same time).

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick /forum/post/18299668

Most of my money will be put into speakers. They definitely are the weakest link in my HT.

Definitely a wise choice on the speakers being the primary focus. Then I would focus on the sep. amp and pre/pro. Buy all of your cables from monoprice.com, one of AVS's sponsors....you will save a TON of money, and the quality is (IMO) better than monster. There is no need to buy an $80 HDMI cable!

I'm not sure what you are doing for video, but for me the only way to go is a flatscreen AND a 104" 2.35 aspect screen with projection at night.

·
Registered
706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen_space /forum/post/18297512

Without question, for me separates were worth every penny. I have owned several AVRs and when I finally went the separate route, the difference in SQ blew the doors off of AVRs.

Hmmm...and I was starting to think I was the lone ranger after some heated discussions I've had with those claiming a lower end avr sounds as good as separates.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN /forum/post/18296862

My Integra DHC-40.1 cost under a grand. It's great! Also, you can find a wide variety of multichannel amps with varying price ranges. I'm sure you could get the whole shabang for under 2K.....SEPARATES ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY IMO.......

Another vote from me on the Integra 40.1. I was waiting for the new Outlaw but it was taking too long and was just cancelled. I made the right choice in changing to the Integra. No handshake problems with HDMI, volume level is displayed over HDMI and it has ISF settings so I don't need a seperate scaler to acheive vertical stretch for my 2.35:1 scope screen. Those are the simple things and I barely scratch the surface of the features included. Sounds WAYYYY better than my old Outlaw 970 and took about 15 hours less time to set up. (my old pre/pro needed seperate parametric EQs and about 15 hours to analyze and set up). The Integra took about 20 mins.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video /forum/post/18301852

Another vote from me on the Integra 40.1. I was waiting for the new Outlaw but it was taking too long and was just cancelled. I made the right choice in changing to the Integra. No handshake problems with HDMI, volume level is displayed over HDMI and it has ISF settings so I don't need a seperate scaler to acheive vertical stretch for my 2.35:1 scope screen. Those are the simple things and I barely scratch the surface of the features included. Sounds WAYYYY better than my old Outlaw 970 and took about 15 hours less time to set up. (my old pre/pro needed seperate parametric EQs and about 15 hours to analyze and set up). The Integra took about 20 mins.

Another +1 (or two) for the Integra DHC 40.1. I have one coupled with an Emotiva UPA-7 amp and Infinity Cascade 5.0 speakers - and Elemental Designs A5-350 sub. Sound quality (subjective I know) is excellent. I use a pair of M&K 5260 subs for music - I turn them all on for movies - keeps the bugs and little critters away!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk /forum/post/18296725

My vote goes for the Anthem Statement D2v and Anthem Statement P5 or A5 amps. Great customer service from Anthem plus there are tons of owners in the D2v owners thread that will be able to offer help if needed.

Hi fuzz,

Will look into those, but I am biased towards the Integra. I see you are from Ontario. My wife is from a small tourist town called Wasaga Beach. We go back to visit at least once a year. =)

-------------------------

What would be the benefit of going with the Integra DHC 80.1 vs the 40.1? I see that they are 9.2 and 7.2 respectively. Anything else major besides price?

With my room, I think the only way I can set up speakers is a 5.1 system with surrounds directly behind the couch. And I would like to add Height speakers, but the lady at Breier Audio Video (one of my local HT shops) said it was mainly for positional audio in video games.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick /forum/post/18386642

Hi fuzz,

Will look into those, but I am biased towards the Integra. I see you are from Ontario. My wife is from a small tourist town called Wasaga Beach. We go back to visit at least once a year. =)

-------------------------

What would be the benefit of going with the Integra DHC 80.1 vs the 40.1? I see that they are 9.2 and 7.2 respectively. Anything else major besides price?

With my room, I think the only way I can set up speakers is a 5.1 system with surrounds directly behind the couch. And I would like to add Height speakers, but the lady at Breier Audio Video (one of my local HT shops) said it was mainly for positional audio in video games.

I finally got tired of bypassing my AVM 20 with hdmi cables, and was just about to pull the trigger on an AVM 50v until I started reading about the 80.1. Given the comprehensive feature-set of the Integra at less than half the price, I decided to order one, and it should be here in a few days. Do I expect the build quality to be comparable to the Anthem? No. Do I honestly expect I could discern an iota of audible SQ difference between the two if blindfolded? I seriously doubt it. The Integra website is the best place to learn about the differences between their two pre-pros.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
okay, heres the big question, the one that causes all the debate: Is there any discernable difference in SQ between Integra's pre/pros and the same # avrs? Common sense says if the price is similiar on both the pre/pro should have better build quality and parts due to the savings of not having built in amps. But after reading multiple threads over several months I get the impression common sense isn't really part of the equation
Thats all brands, not just onyko/integra. It almost seems you have to pay more just for the privledge of owning a preamp. And the preamp will be less reliable than a much cheaper avr...somebody tell me I'm wrong because I really want to stick with seperates..

·
Registered
3,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 /forum/post/18389029

okay, heres the big question, the one that causes all the debate: Is there any discernable difference in SQ between Integra's pre/pros and the same # avrs? Common sense says if the price is similiar on both the pre/pro should have better build quality and parts due to the savings of not having built in amps. But after reading multiple threads over several months I get the impression common sense isn't really part of the equation
Thats all brands, not just onyko/integra. It almost seems you have to pay more just for the privledge of owning a preamp. And the preamp will be less reliable than a much cheaper avr...somebody tell me I'm wrong because I really want to stick with seperates..

I think you should follow your common sense. I prefer separates simply because while the processing side has a very brief technological half-life on the cutting edge, that isn't nearly as much of an issue with amps. An AVR forces you to pay for a new amp section every time you upgrade your processing. I'd be willing to eat my shorts if you could reliably detect a perceptible difference between a dhc-80.1 with a high-end outboard amp, and a "plain-vanilla" dtr-80.1 AVR in a well-controlled DBT. I also don't think pre-pros are generally less reliable than their AVR counterparts. If anything, I'd think the processing electronics in a pre-pro would be subjected to lower thermal stresses than those crammed together with the amp section in an AVR.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts