AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for my system. I have been considering getting the outlaw 950/770 combo but not sure its the best thing out there. Really would like to keep the price under 3K. Here what I got so far:

front Diva's 6.1

center C3

sides R3

rears 4.1

Subs 20-39cs+

Projector Marantz vp-12s1

Thank you,

Eric

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, the dual SVS subs will be driven by Sampson 1000 amp.

Thanks so much,

Eric

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
With any luck, I will be driving my Divas with the Outlaw combo soon. I'm betting they will be a perfect match, and I can't wait to hear how they sound together.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Russ,

Are you concerned about the quality of the Outlaw? There seems to be some issues with noise, etc. I was really excited about the outlaw combo, but now I'm a little hesitant.

Eric

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had heard very positive reviews of the 950/770 combo. I am thinking about ordering these two pieces so what exactly have the problems been?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Genentech,

Greetings from Kazoo! We might be neighbors. Anyway, the 950/770 I've heard is fairly "noisy." This has been noted by many forum members and well as in a review from an AV mag. (I believe Sound and Vision, but cannot say for sure). It really bummed me out to hear this.

Eric

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Hi,

check out the Rotel 1066~1300~

Three people have had both the Outlaw and Rotel in there system and all three are dumping the Outlaw...

Tommy

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tommy,

Thanks for the recommendation. I've also been looking at the Rotel. I haven't heard any negative comments on it. What about an amp?

Eric

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Adcom also has quality separates in that price range. You can also check the Denon 4802 if you're not married to separates. BTW my ex is from Lake Doster...

TM

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Eric,

I'm not one of those rabid Outlaw fans, and I think that yes the Outlaw may have some issues now that are unquantifiable except by putting them in your system and seeing for yourself. I also think Outlaw has too much riding on this not to fix any problems that are identifiable and global. You've also got to remember that the members of these forums are a very vocal minority, and the greatest majority of the units are being sold to people who don't post every conceivable wart, real or imagined on the message boards. I don't care what anyone else tells you about the 950, but it IS by it's price alone an entry pre/pro and is not going to do everything that a more expensive unit will do, but it does do more than enough for just about anyone. It seems to me that you are getting more than you pay for. If you have more money to throw at it, by all means do so, but even the couple of people who have chosen the Rotel, have admitted that it is very very close. Some people just feel better spending more money.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Russ

I'm not sure it has anything to do with spending more money,

although the Outlaw and Rotel might have sounded similar,some said the outlaw sounded a bit harsh for there taste also the Rotel packs many needed features the 950 lacks...and lets not forget the Rotel supports software upgrades.

Tommy

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Hi Eric,

Buying a new pre/pro is not an easy decision with some of the current choices you have today. It also may get even tougher as more clones and low priced units come into the marketplace.

It is no secret that I was one of the beta testers for Outlaw, and based on my experience with that unit, have been a proponent for the 950 all along.

I currently have a final 950 in my rack, and it is not soon leaving. Still, I found that I did not like the idea of the forced bass management on the 5.1 inputs, nor did I like combining that BM with my already purchased ICBM. Combine that with my need to switch SACD and DVD-A 5.1 analog inputs, and bam, it was a natural for me to add a Sony P9K preamp to my Outlaw mix. Total cost for the 950/ICBM/P9K trio was only around $1500. IMO, this trio gives me options and performance that I'd proudly compare with preamp/processors costing twice as much.

That said, I also liked the Rotel 1066. As others have reported, it did sound slightly warmer versus the 950 for music, but I could discern no noticable difference between it and the 950 for movie playback. And, the Rotel 1066 silver unit sure is purdy. Still, the 1066 lacks an onboard tuner, which I need and once I would add this cost to a good dealer cost on the 1066, I am back up in the $1500 range... the same cost region of the 950/ICBM/P9K trio.

As for noise and the S&V review, more than a few folks have reported a loud speaker hiss with the 950. Many, like myself, also report little or no hiss. Outlaw has acknowledged this problem is real and is trying to determine if the problem is one of intersystem variability, 950 manufacturing variability or one of both? They are working to determine and fix this problem on both an individual basis(owner by owner) and a QC basis. Hopefully, this will soon be fixed so that everyone's 950 is a quiet as mine. As for the S&V Review, no mention of noise is made at all by the reviewer, so I don't know where other folks have read this? In fact, the reviewer admittedly had to search very hard to find something to dislike.

Still, opinions and reviews can only really be relevant to you as to suggest a starting point for your own testing of these pre/pros in the rack in your very own HT. In the end, the only opinion or review that truly matters is your own!

Good Luck and Have Fun with your search! :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really appreciate the advice guys. Where is a good place to purchase Rotel products? Based on there web site there is only one place close to me that carries their products and I will not shop there (poor customer service and top dollar prices). AV Science doen't carry their product line.

Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I just recently purchased the the Rotel 1066 and the Outlaw 770 amp. IMHO this is a really great combo. I'm running it with Axiom speakers, not Diva's, but I can't imagine you would be disappointed with this combo and your Diva's.

I don't think you can get the Rotel online or via mail order, you're going to have to buy from a dealer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got the 950/770 combo and a seven channel Diva setup. The only noise I can hear is when a light (with a dimmer switch that is on the same circuit) is turned on.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Alfack,

That's good to hear, and I suspect that is the norm.

BTW, I have that same pop with a smaller system that must be on the same circuit as the light switch. Coincidently, it also has a dimmer. Do you know if it is the dimmer that causes this? It really doesn't bother me that much, but I never considered the dimmer as the source of the problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah. I'm pretty sure it's the dimmer that causes the noise. Those variable resistors (varistors?) are notorious for being noisy.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My full 7.1 set of Divas arrived yesterday. I also bought a used MC1 on AudiogoN and ordered the Sherbourn 5/1500A & 2/600A from one of the sponsors on this forum. My total cost for my pre/pro and 7 channel combo: $4,200. Not to shabby. The reviews on the Sherbourns say these babies can hang with amps twice there price. As soon as I hook everything up I'll give a detailed report.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
John,

That's a magnificent setup. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.