AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've taken back my greatly disappointing Yamaha, YPAO, blah, blah, blah receiver, I'm back where I started. I did like what the YPAO did in some case, but I think my main reason for giving up with it was the increase in standards I've demanded from my HT nowadays. So I have two options, buy a pre/pro or use a receiver as a pre/pro. Since I've got the 2 x 200 wpc Adcom and only have room for 5.1, I don't feel it necessary to buy a decent receiver and spend the money for two high powered channels I won't use. My first question is whether it's necessary to have the same brand amp for the front stage as for the rear stage. Should I buy a three channel Adcom to match, or can I just buy what I like and the Adcom would suffice for the rears? Now, what to do about with pre/pro. I'm sure that most mid-fi pre/pro's sound great, but they seem to lack many of the features that receivers have. Also (as long as the processors are similar) I wouldn't have to get a receiver that's got high power and therefor a higher price. The HK's have gone down due to the new arrivals coming out soon (although the new 430 does look REAL good as just a pre/pro with it's features and future upgradability.) Then there's the Denon 2803 or even the Marantz 5300 and Sony ES3000. So to sum up I really like the features on receivers, but I want raw power. How much would I really be sacrificing by using a receiver a pre/pro as opposed to a standalone pre/pro? I'm looking at $1,500 - $2,000 on a pre/pro (whatever it may be) and receiver (whether it be only 3 channel or just go ahead and get a new 5channel as the Adcom is over a decade old.)

·
Registered
473 Posts
IMO, a receiver is the way to go unless multichannel SACD and/or DVD-A is REALLY important to you (where the analog preamp section is critical. I don't think HT audio warrants the prices that even the cheaper prepros command.

I'd run your Adcoms across the front with a stereo preamp and then see if you can hear the difference with the center channel - with a HT source, you might not be able to tell.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Personally, I'd get an H/K 520 or 8000 that has the completely separate amp section via main ins and outs. Use these amps for your surrounds and your Adcom for your front speakers.

Spend the difference on better speakers or more things to watch and listen to.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I'm with Steve.

Let the receiver power your (4) surrounds and use a separate amp for the front 3 speakers.

I have done this same scenario in the past using Denon AVR-3801 and Onkyo TX-DS989 receivers.

- Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.