AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old Pioneer Elite receiver that doesn't decode the latest BluRay audio codecs. I've been wanting to upgrade for quite awhile and should be able to soon. I have a 3-channel amp (Odyssey) already, and I'm only going to be running a 5.1 system, so I'm thinking it might be worth it to put my money toward a pre/pro vs. a receiver. (I'll buy an inexpensive 2-channel amp for the rears) The features I'm looking for are:


* Room correction - I've not been real impressed with the MCACC on the Pioneer Elite, but it is very old. I've heard good things about Audyssey's latest and even better about Anthem's.


* Video upscaling - I wasn't really thinking about this since I have an Oppo 93 which handles dads, and I watch mainly high def contact through DirecTV. But I've heard that good upscaling can improve even the high def DirecTV material. Is that the case? To the degree it is, then video upscaling is important?


* Sound quality - My main critical audio listening is through a modded Squeezebox. I stream FLAC files to it. I want something with good DACs.


I'm NOT interested in 3D video or the ability to stream internet music or audio files. I'm looking to pay around $1500 ($1000 would be great; $2000 would have to really be something that is worth the extra money). I'm totally fine with looking for a used model if it meets the above criteria.


ALSO, I don't know that it is a given that a pre/pro would outperform a receiver. If there are some receivers out there you think I should consider, I'm not opposed. ... And, I'm not set on these brands, but these are the ones I'm "fond" of: Integra, Anthem, Marantz, NAD, maybe Onkyo or Denon.


Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,365 Posts
I'm in the market myself with pretty much the same criteria. The Onkyo 3008 is very tempting but I'm trying to hold off for the 3009 or similar Integra. I currently have an Onkyo 1007 which sounds good but any of the above mentioned will be better it from features to DACs, video upscaling, and room correction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,816 Posts
Denon 4311 for an AVR. If its Audyssey you want. It has the best version. If you want to try something else try the Yamaha Aventage A2000/3000. If you have an amp(5 or 7 channel) the Marantz AV7005 for a pre-pro. Of the bunch since its Audyssey you want my vote is for the 4311.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
phantom,


Thanks for the suggestions. Any idea how video processing compares between the models you mentioned? I'm even more unfamiliar with the differences in those various brands/versions than room correction technologies.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skvinson /forum/post/20842588


phantom,


Thanks for the suggestions. Any idea how video processing compares between the models you mentioned? I'm even more unfamiliar with the differences in those various brands/versions than room correction technologies.


Thanks!

The one of these I mentioned with the best video processor would be the Yamaha A3000. It also uses a better version of YPAO than its little brothers. It will EQ 2 subs. You may want to check one of these out. The Marantz AV7005 pre-pro is a lot like the Denon 3311 without the amps. The 4311 on the other hand is a different animal altogether. It doesn't have the video processing capabilities of the A3000 but it does have other features that aren't available with the Yamaha. I don't care for Audyssey(used it with my Onkyo 876). I'm more of a Yamaha fan and I got very good results with YPAO. Right now I'm using a H/K 7550HD and really like H/K's EQ program with it. You really need to do some research between the three and see which of them have the things you will use/need the most. I would put video processing last on my list when purchasing an AVR. Most are handcuffed in some way or another but they are getting better each year. All of these have dedicated threads and ask any questions you have of each in them and really get owners and users opinions. Don't be swayed by fanboy comments in any of them. You can pick them out as the one's that say that this is the "only" gear to have. No such thing. No one knows what you like or need more than you. Good luck and enjoy the search. It's all fun anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for the input. I know there are a lot of decimated threads. I was hoping to get some input for which ones to check out.


... I wasn't putting video processing too high on my list until a salesperson I talked to said it can improve even high def material (since it doesn't all come in at 1080p). Everything looks good now, but if it can be better...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20843643


The one of these I mentioned with the best video processor would be the Yamaha A3000. It also uses a better version of YPAO than its little brothers. It will EQ 2 subs.


I'm starting to think the ability to EQ 2 subs is a feature to focus on. I'm getting ready to build 2. I saw the HK you have will also do it. Audyssey has a new feature that will do it (Sub EQ HT), and apparently it "pings" both subs at once (vs. most that do it separately), which is supposed to give a more accurate idea of how they interact w. each other. The Denon 4311 has it, along w. Audyssey MultiEQ XT32, which is supposed to have some real advantages over previous versions. Some Onkyo and Integra units have it as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Might want to throw a look at an Anthem MRX. Excellent room correction and sound quality. The 300 is around $1k and the 500 is around $1400.


I wouldn't worry too much about the upscaling thing. The tv is basically going to do it anyway. I would suspect that at the range you're looking to pay, you're not going to be able to notice any difference between the tv's upscaler and the receiver's upscaler. It's not really something to base your decision on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidians /forum/post/20844239


Might want to throw a look at an Anthem MRX. Excellent room correction and sound quality. The 300 is around $1k and the 500 is around $1400.


I wouldn't worry too much about the upscaling thing. The tv is basically going to do it anyway. I would suspect that at the range you're looking to pay, you're not going to be able to notice any difference between the tv's upscaler and the receiver's upscaler. It's not really something to base your decision on.


I've definitely been eyeing these receivers. I hear great things about ARC. I am staring to wonder about the ability EQ 2 subs. THOUGH, I am going to be EQ'g them already with a Behringer 1124. That may negate some of the value of something that can do 2. ... So many questions...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
308 Posts
I think your best choices are the Denon AVR 4311, or the Yamaha RX-A3000. Both are awesome receivers. I think you would be happy with either one. The RX-A2000/3000 models have fantastic video upscaling as well. Owning the RX-A2000 myself, I can tell you that the sound quality is amazing. It is quite warm sounding. The upper end aventage receivers are not bright sounding like the lower Yamaha models. If you want to save a little money you might want to look at the Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD as well. It is a beast of a receiver with a ton of power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skvinson /forum/post/20844273


I've definitely been eyeing these receivers. I hear great things about ARC. I am staring to wonder about the ability EQ 2 subs. THOUGH, I am going to be EQ'g them already with a Behringer 1124. That may negate some of the value of something that can do 2. ... So many questions...

If you're going to EQ it with a separate box anyway.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
The problem with the Denon AVR4311...


There is only one thing it does the NR3008 doesn't do. But there are about 5 things the 3008 does, that it doesn't do. Add to that the 3008 is less money, and when the 3009 comes out, the one thing the 4311 does that the 3008 doesn't do, will probably be addressed.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20844407


The problem with the Denon AVR4311...


There is only one thing it does the NR3008 doesn't do. But there are about 5 things the 3008 does, that it doesn't do. Add to that the 3008 is less money, and when the 3009 comes out, the one thing the 4311 does that the 3008 doesn't do, will probably be addressed.

I can not speak for anyone else, but I certainly would not buy, or recommend an Onkyo receiver from last year. The problem with the remote not responding, and cycling inputs on the 2010 models is so widespread now. No receiver is perfect, but the AVR 4311 and RX-A3000 are better choices based on quality control alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Yamaha and HK were not on my radar b/c I wasn't familiar with their Room Correction. Phantom gave a good review of each. I plan on doing some more research. A little harder to do firsthand since so many AV stores have closed.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
I have no problem recommending the 1008/3008/5008...


What did this "remote problem" do to Onkyo/Integra's reliability???


Made their warranty claims from the X07 model year of 2.3% zoom all the way up to 3.1%...


So yeah...if you consider .8% more problems as "catastrophic"....


To put this into perspective...


Onkyo runs a failry consistent 2.7% failure rate, year to year.

Samsung(which nobody around here seems to have a problem recommending) runs a fairly consistent 8% failure rate.


So, Don't recommend or buy an Onkyo at 3% failure, but recommend Samsung all day long at 8% failure...

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269
I have no problem recommending the 1008/3008/5008...


What did this "remote problem" do to Onkyo/Integra's reliability???


Made their warranty claims from the X07 model year of 2.3% zoom all the way up to 3.1%...


So yeah...if you consider .8% more problems as "catastrophic"....


To put this into perspective...


Onkyo runs a failry consistent 2.7% failure rate, year to year.

Samsung(which nobody around here seems to have a problem recommending) runs a fairly consistent 8% failure rate.


So, Don't recommend or buy an Onkyo at 3% failure, but recommend Samsung all day long at 8% failure...

I totally agree with you in regards to Samsung. I never buy, nor do I recommend their products to anyone. Many people are now well aware of the capacitor problems in their TVs and monitors.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
My cousins husband up here(he's a Doctor)


He bought a Droid 16 months ago. That first Droid(Motorola) was a fantastic phone but had crappy battery life and the micro-usb went bad.


Sprint(ugghh) no longer had the Motorola Droid. So they gave him a Samsung.


Worst piece of crap I have ever touched. He went to Sprint and the repair people said "we won't fix a phone working within its design parameters" (code for, we know that phone sucks...and there is nothing we can do about it)


He went back out to his car and ran over it 10 times...went back in and said..."Now can I have a different phone?"


His wife(my cousin) has a Blackberry(Storm??? the big one) and her phone works flawless...well it works flawless when Sprint does...


I have a Blackberry on Tmobile. Whenever I'm with them, half the time when his pager goes off..."Can I borrow your phone?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20844407


The problem with the Denon AVR4311...


There is only one thing it does the NR3008 doesn't do. But there are about 5 things the 3008 does, that it doesn't do. Add to that the 3008 is less money, and when the 3009 comes out, the one thing the 4311 does that the 3008 doesn't do, will probably be addressed.

Let's see the one it does is works like its supposed to. Now the five things it doesn't do that the 3008 does. It doesn't bleed its guts all over interior connections, it has good cable connections inside,It has good relationships with its customers,there are no papers released from Denon stating that we will fix this thing for as long as you own it,and be ready to send this POS across the country to have it repaired repeatedly. Did I leave anything out? There has to be a reason its less money and my thought is because you won't be able to use it for long.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top