AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting a Denon 5900 or a Pioneer DV59. I am also shopping for a new receiver or seperates. I would definitely like to use this interface to connect the two devices. So I am trying to figure out which receiver or pre/pro supports this input. The front runner was the B&K Ref 50 but when I check the online manual it says the IEEE 1394 input is for future interface applications. Does that mean that it will not work with the i-LINK output on the 5900 or the DV59 at this time? What other units will accept this input? Thanks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Currently because of a design flaw the Denon 5900's i.Link port doesn't work they plan to fix this at some point. I've made a list of all i.Link products in another thread and will post it here for you.

------------------------i.Link and A&M Compatible Products
Type ------ Company ------- Model -------- MSRP ------- When First Avail

Receiver---- Pioneer Elite --- Vsx-49TXi -----$4500-----------------Oct 02

Receiver---- Pioneer Elite --- Vsx-55TXi -----$1700------------------July 03

Receiver---- Sony ES -------Str-da9000es--$4500-------------------Oct 03

Receiver---- Yamaha -------- RX-Z9 ----------$4500------------------Dec 03

Receiver---- Pioneer Elite --- Vsx-59TXi -----$4500-----------------Jan 04

Receiver---- Denon ----------AVR-5804(?)-----(?)------------------(?)

Receiver---- Onkyo ------------- TX-NR1000 ----$4000--------------Apr 04

Receiver---- Integra ------------- DTR 10.5 -------$3500-------------Apr 04
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre/Pro----- Denon -----AVP-1x(prototype)--$expensive$--------------(?)

Pre/Pro----- Integra Research --- RDC-7.1 --$4000--------------------Apr 04
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DVD-A/SACD-- Pioneer Elite ---- DV-47ai ---------$1200-----------------Oct 02

DVD-A/SACD-- MSB Tech -- Super DVD Audio Player -$7995-----------already avail

DVD-A/SACD-- Denon -----------* DVD-5900 *------$2000-------------- Sept 03

DVD-A/SACD-- Denon ---DVD-1x(prototype)----$expensive$--------------(?)

DVD-A/SACD-- Pioneer Elite ---- DV-59AVi --------$1600--------------------Jan 04

DVD-A/SACD-- Onkyo -------- DV-SP1000 -----$2000-------------------- Apr 04

DVD-A/SACD-- Integra ------ DPS 10.5 -----$2500----------------Apr 04

DVD-A/SACD-- Integra Research --- RDV-1.1 ----$4000------------------Apr 04

SACD-------- Sony ES ------SCD-XA9000ES----$3000-----------Oct 03

Misc.

D/A converter-- Esoteric ------ D-70 -------------$6500-----------already avail

LEGEND

(?) - Info is not definite or unknown

* due to a design flaw the 5900's i.Link port is currently inoperable a fix is due in the future.

The B&K 50 and Anthem AVM 20 are not on this list because the firewire port they use doesn't use the A&M protocol. These ports have been in use before the whole standard hi-resolution digital audio interface thing was around, they've been used for software upgrades and stuff like that and not used to transfer audio. Right now there aren't any pre/pros theat offer i.Link except for the RDC 7.1 listed above but that won't be avail until April. Also B&K and Anthem are supposed be working on upgrades to provide i.Link for their current preamps but nothing official yet.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Another thing to consider is that Pioneer's iLink does not work with Denon, which does not work with Sony, which does not work with Yamaha, etc.

Someone please correct me if things have changed, but you'll need to stay in the same brand family to ensure proper operation between iLink components at this time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
No bubba you're wrong Sony works with pioneer, yamaha works with Sony, etc. That's the whole point to this so that there's a standard. i.Link is the new non-proprietary digital hi-resolution audio interface. The only company that doesn't work is Denon because they screwed up not because it was intentional to not work with anyone else. They're have been ropoerts of people that own the Yamaha Z9 and Pioneer 47ai and they work fine together. Check out this thread Standard DVD-Audio DIGITAL Interface? When? It's an old thread and has everything there is to know about i.Link in it (it's about 30 pages long). In there you will find all sorts of tech data and test performed by dr1394 and tests of interoperability between different manufactorors, etc.

Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.