AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been surprised at the lack of recent threads on pre-pros. I have no interest in receivers because I have a California Audio 2500 amp which handles the two Martin Logan Odyssey front speakers, the ML Theater Center speaker, and two rear ML Cinema speakers. I have a Proceed BPA 2 amp for the two ML Cinema side speakers (overkill I know, but couldn't accommodate the smaller ML sides). My sub-woofer is the REL Storm (the ML sub was DOA).

Currently, I'm using an Integra Research RDC-7 purchased in 2001. Although I've liked this pre-pro, I going to have to upgrade within the next 18 months to be able to handle newer audio/visual connections. I have nothing but contempt for IR's customer support so am not considering purchasing a RDC-7.1 as a replacement, despite liking its card architecture. IR makes it nearly impossible for owners to perform firmware upgrades.

When I auditioned other pre-pros in 2001, I didn't like the sound of the Theta (which surprised me) and the Lexicon had substantial disadvantages (no ability to pass-through HD video). Nor am I eager to spend as much as the Lexicon product.

I'd really like to read some recommendations on what pre-pros to consider.

1) as far as music listening: we listen ONLY to classical music or jazz; absolutely NO rock ever.

2) CDs and SACDs are handled by a Sony 555ES which passes the sound through analog connections

2) we watch a lot of movies/tv, so soundtrack performance is important

3) I'm tentatively planning on purchasing a standalone video processor to go with a new 60" or larger plasma (have loved my Panasonic plasma, also purchased in 2001). While I realize there may be an advantage to having the VP in the pre-pro, I'm inclined to think both the chip and programming found in standalone VPs would be superior to that in a pre-pro.

What is your recommendation?

Leslie

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
looking for advice to whether or not to purchase a aragon stage one pre/pro.... i'm not sure weather analog technology has moved up as has been digital.

Also, if i'm not intending to run the dvd hdmi signal through this or any multichannel sound processor , are units like the aragon stage one or krell showcase or similar consider outdated? thanks all

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi 999,

If you get a chance to read the "mini-review" thread above on SSPs, you'll notice a trend with several people who still own what is now considered "outdated" technology. Ironically, I am one of those people as I decided to chill a while until the HDMI/HD issues got sorted out.

To make a long story short, I gave up on trying to find the latest and greatest as I picked up a used, upgraded 7.1 Aragon Soundstage to hold me over. Interestingly, instead of expecting a downgrade from this older, used piece, I've found it to be one of the most musical SSPs I've owned...making HT even that much better.

If you don't have any use for HDMI at this time, there are still several used SSPs that are fantastic sounding machines. While the Stage One could also be considered one of these pieces, it still fetches a pretty penny in relation to other new/used units since it's more current. At this price you could also look at the Proceed AVP2 or some EAD models.

Personally, I actually prefered the upgraded Soundstage to the Stage One because the analog section (IMHO) is superior; it sounded less compressed and transparent. The only thing missing from the Soundstage is the THX Ultra certification and accompanying features (which the Soundstage has its own versions of..re-eq etc.) Take your time and research/listen to as many as possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Goldear,

thanks for the good information and sound advice.... i came across this friend of mine that hinted at possibly wanting to off load the stage one and asked me if i would be interested. yes, based on the referred threat above, i'll look into listening other used ssp's.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie /forum/post/0

I have no interest in receivers because I have a California Audio 2500 amp

Because receivers absolutely do not have pre-outs for external amps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Huh? I assume this is with tongue firmly in cheek.

I have never quite understood why pre-pros fetch so much more money than A/V receivers when usually for much less money you can get more features and some spare amp channels to boot. I just recently got a Sherwood Newcastle R-965. They are, I think, in the process of being discontinued for newer models so it might be possible to pick one up at a good price, soon. I have Infinity Intermezzo 4.1 and the 3.5 center and drive the 4.1s with a Van Altine Ultimate 70 dynaco modded tube amp. You have to play with the levels a little bit since the sensitivity is lower for the tube amp but the sound in wonderful. The R-965 has a complete complement of pre-outs and you get some amps to drive zone 2. it is supposed to be the same circuitry as use for the P-965 which is well regarded. I use the other amps to drive all the surround speakers. works well for me!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Currently, I'm using an Integra Research RDC-7 purchased in 2001. Although I've liked this pre-pro, I going to have to upgrade within the next 18 months to be able to handle newer audio/visual connections. I have nothing but contempt for IR's customer support so am not considering purchasing a RDC-7.1 as a replacement, despite liking its card architecture. IR makes it nearly impossible for owners to perform firmware upgrades.

When I auditioned other pre-pros in 2001, I didn't like the sound of the Theta (which surprised me) and the Lexicon had substantial disadvantages (no ability to pass-through HD video). Nor am I eager to spend as much as the Lexicon product.

I'd really like to read some recommendations on what pre-pros to consider.

1) as far as music listening: we listen ONLY to classical music or jazz; absolutely NO rock ever.

2) CDs and SACDs are handled by a Sony 555ES which passes the sound through analog connections

2) we watch a lot of movies/tv, so soundtrack performance is important
3) I'm tentatively planning on purchasing a standalone video processor to go with a new 60" or larger plasma (have loved my Panasonic plasma, also purchased in 2001). While I realize there may be an advantage to having the VP in the pre-pro, I'm inclined to think both the chip and programming found in standalone VPs would be superior to that in a pre-pro.

What is your recommendation?

Leslie[/quote]

I am also using the RDC-7 with Pansonic plasma. I considered upgrading to another processor with more contemporary audio/video connections. Frankly, I have been extremely happy with my RDC-7. It has been problem-free since day one. I have yet to hear another pre-pro that sounds better to me. For the money required to upgrade to something that saves a few cable connections, I decided to hang on to my RDC-7 for the foreseeable future. For the lack of connections available on the RDC-7 (HDMI & iLink), I have always been able to find a suitable workaround.

If you do decide to upgrade to a new pre-pro, and you want quality video processing, you may want to look at the Anthem AVM-50 or D2.

Check out this thread... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=678260

These are currently the only pre-pros that I would be willing to trade for my RDC-7.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.